You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: With current technology, is there still any reason to buy custom Skating Boots  (Read 4610 times)

Offline alan

• I'd Rather Be Skating
  • Designated Spinner
  • Total GOE: 0
For people without foot problems, considering modern technology, is there still any reason(s) for a skater to pay for custom made boots?

Offline Bill_S

• Over the Edge
  • Total GOE: 369
  • Whack! Bam! Ouch!
    • Bill's skating pages
I get along just fine with stock boots.

Until several years ago, I had no foot problems. However age and arthritis caught up with me, and now my right foot has had two toe joints surgically removed. My stock boots still work fine even with that little issue.
Bill Schneider

Offline Ethereal Ice

• Prerotation Society
  • Total GOE: 13
I think "foot problems" meaning, something that is going on with your feet that is so out of the ordinary that it can't be reasonably fixed on a stock boot with padding, stretching, punch outs, etc. is the main reason the majority of people seek custom boots. Perhaps that occurs more often than one might think?

My husband and I skate and we have two completely different foot situations on either end of the spectrum. My feet are apparently so close to a stock Riedell 9.5A Silver Star 355 (a discontinued mid to upper level boot that was $500 new for the boot alone) that I was able to buy a never worn pair on eBay for $110 including a quality blade. I adore my skates, they fit me like a second skin... I can wear them for hours comfortably. My poor husband has a foot that is as wide as it is long, and an extremely high arch, and we cannot find a single stock figure skate boot in his size  (width wise). We found a hockey skate for him to learn some elements on (still not the right width, but as close as we have gotten) while we decide what our next move is. Because he says he definitely wants a figure skate, I think we are looking at customs, at least around a grand, probably more considering blades and dealing with the high arch.

From what I can tell from talking to friends at the rink with customs, people get exhausted trying to find a stock boot that fits decently, even if the foot issue seems minor. They get tired of having the boots worked on to fit a stock boot to them and it is just worth it to have a custom made boot. If you think about it price wise, upper level boots and blades are going to set you back $600-800. Around here (Northern CA) you can drive down to Harlick and get a custom pair for a few hundred more....if it saves you a ton of stress and foot pain, why not?

That said, one thing that is always in the back of my mind is that just because a boot is custom, it does not mean that it will be perfect, especially right off the bat. I know people who have had to send back customs repeatedly before getting them just right. I would say about half of the skaters I skate with have customs. I almost feel a little guilty for being so comfy in my eBay Riedells, but I absolutely adore them.

Offline tstop4me

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 196
  • Conserve Angular Momentum
For people without foot problems, considering modern technology, is there still any reason(s) for a skater to pay for custom made boots?

At first glance, your question appears redundant.  So let me try to interpret what I think you're asking:  If your feet fit properly into  stock boots, are there reasons to consider custom boots?  The answer is yes, if you want different materials or design features from those in stock boots.  A few examples:

* Tongues are commonly lined with sponge rubber.  Some skaters prefer a less squishy material, such as lambswool.

* Tongues commonly extend to the top of the ankle collar.  Some skaters prefer shorter or longer tongues. 

* Some skaters prefer a more cushiony ankle collar, or an ankle collar cut lower in the back, than that in stock boots.

* Stock boots may come lined with sponge rubber and microfiber; some skaters may prefer the leather linings previously used in the past.

* Some skaters prefer fewer or more lace hooks than those in stock boots.

And then there are custom touches purely for cosmetic and fashion appeal.  But I'm a gnurd, so I won't get into any examples of those.

Offline beginner skater

• Synchro Stompin'
  • Total GOE: 6
V interesting, I had to google gnurd

Offline Query

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
A lot of it depends on how hard you and/or your boot fitter are willing to work on modifications like those people have talked about here.

I'd say that if you are happy with something you find in stock at a pro shop, go for it. The decision is harder to make if nothing in stock fits. Especially for guys, since most pro shops don't stock a lot of guy's sizes. But for both, it's not at all uncommon for people to spend a dozen or more hours driving around to pro shops to see if they can find something that fits, or comes close enough for you to order a slightly different size of the same brand and model.

Heat molding complicates the issue. You can't expect a fitter to heat mold the boot to you before you buy (assuming it is a model that does heat mold), and without that, it might be hard to decide. Heat molding probably may not fix things that hurt a fair bit, or toes that hurt at all (because there is very little molding at the bottom of the boot), but it may fix something that is just a little loose or tight at the top.

It also depends on the type of boot and the pro shop. If something is a little tight at the bottom, you can often get extra space by removing the insole, and/or replacing it with something very thin. But some insoles are glued in, and the pro shop may not let you remove it.

Are you new to skating? If so, you may want to try to make do with stock boots for a while, because you may not know yet how much support you will need. Unless it hurts.

I know this sounds ridiculous, but a lot of skaters start with stock boots, and are unsatisfied, and decide to buy a pair of custom boots too. One advantage of custom boots, is that most of the custom boot makers (check with yours! - the manufacturer, not the pro shop) will buy the boots back from you at a full refund it you aren't happy with the fit. You can ask, but they probably won't do that if you buy stock. But your pro shop might offer such a fit warranty anyway.

Anyway, stock vs custom is a decision I would hope a really good fitter would help you make. Are there any within a day's drive or so? If you are still near Fort Lauderdale, there is supposed to be someone really good in charge of a pro shop in Coral Gables. I forget the name: he used to work in Virginia, at Ashburn and Kettlers. I know it sounds insane to ask a merchant, "Should I spend more?", but honesty is one of the characteristics you expect out of top people.

If you don't find a pair that fits perfectly in stock, going to a really good fitter seems like an expensive luxury - you don't get discount prices - but IMO it's one of the best investments you can make as a skater.

Offline Query

• mgrunes.com
I think the good Coral Gables fitter whose name I forgot is "Tim Burt".

Offline ChristyRN

• Salchow-a-Bunga!
  • Total GOE: 184
I have a one-modification semi custom boot. Apparently, I have short toes and a wide forefoot. Thus my 7B heel/7C arch and 6EEE forefoot. All lasted to a 6.5 length. It's amazing how much difference a proper-fitted boot can make. If only I had done it before I learned 10 years worth of bad habits that I haven't unlearned in three years.   :blush:
Once in his life, every man is entitled to fall madly in love with one gorgeous redhead.  (Lucille Ball)

Offline alan

• I'd Rather Be Skating
  • Designated Spinner
Thanks, really good thoughts here. I'm not actually looking right now, but just wondering ahead as to when the time comes and I'm ready for new skates if I should take the less expensive route and go for the new heat mold models or stick with custom. Interesting thoughts for us old timers who grew up in the days of leather only.

Offline theoreticalgirl

• Designated Spinner
  • Total GOE: 1
Everyone's needs are different, and a stock boot might not be the best bet for a skater. Personally I can't wear a stock boot, and while I'm not thrilled about the idea of forking over cash for customs, I know that it's more important to have my skates fit properly.

Offline Doubletoe

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 139
My reason for getting custom boots is fit, since my feet are slightly different lengths and I need a boot with a C ball width and A heel width.  Edeas--while considered new and high tech--do not fit my feet.

Offline Nate

• BladeLock
  • Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 22
  • #AdultSkate
After 7 boots in ~2.5 years and then finally going custom, there is no comparison if you have different sizes and widths, even rather slight. The boots for snug. There is no movement in my heel up and down, or side to side in any of my forefeet.

You can also get the heel custom height which some people may need as different stock brands are suitable for different arches and foot profiles.

Off the shelf orthotics like super feet also may not work. I have low arches and supinate. All th stock arch supports assume pronation which made me roll out MORE, which at one time led to a nasty ankle sprain which hurt for almost two years.

If you have issues with stock boots it's best to go custom before you start dumping money into brand searching. You will only spend a ton more before you do the obvious thing.

Custom Boots and Orthotics (from a podiatrist) is the only way I'll go moving forwards.

Also, you have more "brand freedom" with customs. Some customs barely cost more than certain stock boots.

Offline Neverdull44

• Making the Ice Cake
  • Total GOE: 120
Orthotics (from a Podiatrist) are also my only way forward.  I have so much more power with them, then without due to many foot problems, including plantar fasciitis, haglunds deformity, and an achy achilles tendon that sometimes flares.  I also had an ankle operation.  If my feet bottoms "collapse" in the skate, I get extreme pangs and cramps bout 5 minutes into skating.  Doc says it's lactic acid building up.   With my orthotics, I'll occasionally get a 'wee little' pang, but nothing like it is without them.   

Offline AgnesNitt

• Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
I can make just about any boot that is anywhere close to my foot fit (and I'm a woman who is completely willing to cut her boots open to give her feet space)---except for one thing. I need an extra wide tongue. That makes a boot at least semi-custom, and there is no amount of post manufacture 'fitting' that can fix that. You have to have it made into the boot when it's made.

And if you're going to do that, well screw it, get customs.

And sometimes punch outs don't work. I can say I found punch outs, completely and utterly worthless, ditto heat molding. I realize that I'm in the minority, but I actually had to do some major surgery on a pair of boots to get them to fit, and once I went there...I got customs. And it took two pairs of customs (including a rebuild) to get a pair of boots that fit, Really, getting that level of knowledge about how to tweak a pair of boots and determine what you *really* need rather than what a coach or a fitter tell you that you need, takes about 5 years of skating.

Once I got to this point, I'd had it punch outs and heat molding stock boots--if' you're lucky, they fit. If you're not lucky, you know that modern 'fitting' techniques only work for people who are just *barely* outside the last of the stock boot and that they idea you don't need customs is a pipedream
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Total GOE: 188
I've gone through two pair of stock boots since my last customs and they just don't fit my feet well even after multiple adjustments.  I needed the wider tongue, rounder toe box and unusual split-width - not mention my feet are different lengths - so customs were the cheaper option this time around. 

I'm impatiently awaiting my custom Harlicks, which won't be ready until late September, arrggh.  Most skaters wouldn't accept a four-month wait between ordering and estimated delivery, assuming nothing goes wrong.  Since I have a pair of "okay" skates for coaching, it just means my own skating takes a back seat.
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline Query

• mgrunes.com
Incidentally, many people who have no foot problems in bare feet or normal shoes, have had substantial problems in skates, for a number of reasons. Including me. Fit is just so much more critical in skates.

Offline skatespin

• Wearing Rental Skates
I think the good Coral Gables fitter whose name I forgot is "Tim Burt".

He used to work at the Panthers Ice Den pro-shop in Coral Springs, FL which is technically in Broward not Miami. But he no longer works there as of four months ago. Do you know where he is working now, is he out of somewhere in Miami?

Offline Query

• mgrunes.com
He [Tim Burt] used to work at the Panthers Ice Den pro-shop in Coral Springs, FL which is technically in Broward not Miami. But he no longer works there as of four months ago. Do you know where he is working now, is he out of somewhere in Miami?

Nope. Perhaps someone at that shop will tell you if you ask nicely.

The Ice Den business web page

http://panthersiceden.com/pro-shop/services.html

still mentions his name, and lists an email address

burtt@floridapanthers.com

Perhaps you could try that? Or try a variety of people--search services for the area.

Other than that, I can't help.

Offline skatespin

• Wearing Rental Skates
Nope. Perhaps someone at that shop will tell you if you ask nicely.

The Ice Den business web page

http://panthersiceden.com/pro-shop/services.html

still mentions his name, and lists an email address

burtt@floridapanthers.com

Perhaps you could try that? Or try a variety of people--search services for the area.

Other than that, I can't help.

I have heard he might be working in Tampa, but I was curious to see if that was possibly wrong since you mentioned him in Miami. I don't think asking at that rink would get me anywhere, they likely wouldn't know or say because his leaving was part of the ownership forcing multiple long time employees/managers out. He likely is in Tampa though, which is too far, it's a shame. But thanks for the help. Strange how his name is still on the website, its probably an error because I believe his name is no longer under the employee contact information where it used to be.

Offline Query

• mgrunes.com
I'm sure you can use search engines just as well as me. For examle, searching at Yahoo for

+"Tim Burt" +"Tampa"

shows that the Tampa Bay Skating Club

https://www.facebook.com/tampabayskatingclub

referred to someone by that name, who provided some sort of support. Maybe someone in that club could help. The link

http://tampabayskatingclub.org

has a contact form where you might ask a question.

It is a shame if such a well respected skate tech had to leave the shop he was working at. But neither of us know the details. It is entirely possible that it is a matter of economics - e.g., a quick and dirty sharpening takes less time to do than a good careful sharpening, and most of the profit that most pro shops make comes from an emphasis on hockey.

Offline skatespin

• Wearing Rental Skates
I'm sure you can use search engines just as well as me. For examle, searching at Yahoo for

+"Tim Burt" +"Tampa"

shows that the Tampa Bay Skating Club

https://www.facebook.com/tampabayskatingclub

referred to someone by that name, who provided some sort of support. Maybe someone in that club could help. The link

http://tampabayskatingclub.org

has a contact form where you might ask a question.

It is a shame if such a well respected skate tech had to leave the shop he was working at. But neither of us know the details. It is entirely possible that it is a matter of economics - e.g., a quick and dirty sharpening takes less time to do than a good careful sharpening, and most of the profit that most pro shops make comes from an emphasis on hockey.

He is likely there, if I wanted to confirm I would just call the shop, but it's too far so there is no point. And I do have some clue about what happened. Skating is a small world. It wasn't just him that had to leave it was quite a few people in management type positions who had been there a really long time. I think there is a problem that exists at many rinks where they don't want to pay a skilled/experienced person to be in the proshop fitting skates and sharpening blades, they'd rather have a young kid, so then if you have an experienced good person they also have other duties and it goes south from there.