You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Help me choose boots! :(  (Read 2310 times)

Offline Backtotheice

• Beware the Bars of Death!
  • Total GOE: 22
Help me choose boots! :(
« on: June 09, 2016, 06:27:17 PM »
Background - I have 20-ish year old Riedell Silver Stars. I liked them when they were new but I would like to replace them.

I poured through websites and decided to try Edea Chorus boots and ordered them from Rainbo. They came today and I'm not in love with them. They smell weird, which maybe shouldn't be the first issue but it is pretty intense. I'm not crazy about how they lace - I don't feel like I can get them tight enough. My heel feels like they move around in them, although the length seems right.

So I'm back to looking at the Riedell site, but it's so hard to know what to choose between Bronze Stars (which don't look that comfortable), 910 Flair (which I've read some reviews here of people that don't like them), the more expensive 2010 Fusion or 875 Silver Stars (which look comfortable but are substantially more expensive and probably over-booting for my single jumps, although I am a "on the heavy side" adult). 

There aren't any real pro shops here within a 3 hour drive. Most people here get Jackson's but I have this weird idea that they are not "quality" skates (and please feel free to disavow me of that belief if it's not true).

I'm probably going to try Eclipse Aurora blades on whichever boots I end up with.

Thanks for any advice!

Offline Live2Sk8

• Divot Maker
  • Total GOE: 29
Re: Help me choose boots! :(
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2016, 07:09:29 PM »
Ideally you will choose boots based on which brand and model fit your foot the best.  I have the Riedell Bronze Stars and they are very comfortable with one exception.  The tongues felt like they were made of steel when I first got the boots.  Unfortunately, I didn't buy any bunga pads and I wore the skates too long the first few times which meant I bruised my shins very badly.  Bruises take a long time to heal, so every time I skated, I re-bruised myself.  It took about a month before I got used to the tongues, 2 months before I stopped using the bunga pads.  I have very good Riedell feet, though, so the rest of the boot felt wonderful from day one.  This is my second pair of Bronze Stars but the first pair (got 9 years out of them) were much less stiff and had the foam tongues.  I am small-boned and not very heavy for an adult.  I know kids and one adult who had (and disliked) the 910s.

Other adults in the area who are larger boned and more normal adult size have new Silver Stars and like them a lot.  They had fairly easy break-in compared to me.  They're on their 2nd rounds with the Silver Stars.  We all do single jumps only.

Offline Query

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2016, 03:11:14 AM »
Riedell may have changed boot shapes since your last boots!

3 hours or more isn't that bad to avoid years of pain...

Offline Backtotheice

• Beware the Bars of Death!
  • Total GOE: 22
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2016, 06:58:26 AM »
This is true. I do have what kinziescloset.com describes as a tapered foot, but also a high arch and instep.

Offline skatemom189

• Mohawk of Doom
  • Total GOE: 3
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2016, 02:18:29 AM »
My daughter has a foot like that.  She is on her third pair of Risport boots.  I believe the RF3 or the RF2 models would be appropriate stiffness for you. Her heel is locked down tight, and they accommodate her high instep.  She says they are very comfortable, and they are quite light weight.  They are made so there is a lot of forward ankle flex, but the sides remain stiff and don't buckle or crease, which is similar to the Edeas.

Jackson's are fine boots, but probably won't fit right if you are that unhappy with Edea. 

Offline nicklaszlo

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 221
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2016, 05:32:35 AM »
Query is right.  Go to an experienced and reputable fitter.  Often you can meet them at competitions.  You will save time and money in the long run.

I agree that Jacksons are not the best quality, but they work for many people.