You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Your favourite Men's Short Program  (Read 3783 times)

Offline trixietoes

• Axelicious!
  • Total GOE: 0
Your favourite Men's Short Program
« on: March 12, 2016, 06:49:03 AM »
Your personal favs. Does not need to be a winning program, top points or PB.

Just a program which captured you imagination and you watch over and over again.

Mine are :

All time : Orser  1988  Calgary  ( Big Band )

Current :  Jeremy Abbott  2014  Boston  Nats  ( Lilies )

Offline icedancer

• Custom Skates
  • Total GOE: 143
Re: Your favourite Men's Short Program
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2016, 01:20:56 PM »
Matt Savoie 2005 Nationals.

I was in the audience - 3rd row - completely, completely mesmerizing and the audience was on their feet before the end.  Wow.

I like male skaters (yes, even among the ice-dancers) and so I will include Brian Boitano's SP Olympics 1988, Alexi Yagudins 2002 Olympic SP and almost anything Stephan Lambiel did.

Online Bill_S

• Over the Edge
  • Total GOE: 369
  • Whack! Bam! Ouch!
    • Bill's skating pages
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2016, 03:16:03 PM »
I tend to value the actual skating rather than the jumps, so I am drawn to programs with a lot of good edges, soft knees, and complex turns.

Like Trixitoes, I really liked the Jeremy Abbott short at nationals because of the quality of his edges, and the utter freshness of Jun Miyake's jazz piece "Lillies of the Valley". I bought the "Pina" CD immediately afterwards and still think of Jeremy's program whenever I play Lillies from it.

I do remember Matt Savoie's program too. That guy had edges that I really admired. I really wish he could have stayed on the scene. He was a skater's skater.
Bill Schneider

Offline trixietoes

• Axelicious!
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2016, 06:53:21 PM »
Great minds think alike, Bill.  That program was breathtaking. And don/t get me started on how he hit the boards, maybe was out for a second and got back up and kept going. Fifty years in skating and I have not seen too many like that.

I was  saw every event and practice at Calgary Games, so I was there the night of the short. Tension was unreal.

It makes a big difference being there. Then fun to watch it back after.

Alaine Chartrand is using" Lilies" this year and there is one point in the program where she does a very Jeremyesque move.

Offline trixietoes

• Axelicious!
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2016, 06:59:35 PM »
Of course he was perfect at Boston then had crash at the Games. I should have been more clear.

Now that I think about it, Jason's Prince number was special, too. They both had excellent material for Olympic year, better than last year.

But I digress...men's short programs , anyone ?

...off to start a thread about show programs :)