You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: "Shall we dance on ice" Sat on ABC 3 PM  (Read 4900 times)

Offline Query

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
"Shall we dance on ice" Sat on ABC 3 PM
« on: February 13, 2016, 12:29:19 AM »
This show was fabulous last year.

A new version (I think) will be again today, at 3 PM on ABC. Should have lots of ice dance - headliners are Davis and White.

Possibly this is from the December 2015 show:

http://www.wbwn.com/2015/07/21/shall-we-dance-on-ice-returns-to-bloomington-normal/

Offline axelwylie

• Gamified Figure Skater!
  • Total GOE: 131
  • Passed Adult Gold Freestyle - Jan 2014
Re: "Shall we dance on ice" Sat on ABC 3 PM
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2016, 07:29:35 AM »
Doug Webster choreographed the show. He told me last year that skating fans need to keep watching these skating specials on tv (whether you are DVRing or not). We are at a crucial point with the networks since fewer people are watching figure skating these days. We run the risk of having little/no skating coverage on TV, so these skating shows could use all the support they can get.
Join my Skating Fridays blog posts at www.eva-bakes.com

Offline ChristyRN

• Salchow-a-Bunga!
  • Total GOE: 184
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2016, 05:45:12 PM »
Ugh! I didn't see this early enough to catch it.
Once in his life, every man is entitled to fall madly in love with one gorgeous redhead.  (Lucille Ball)

Offline Query

• mgrunes.com
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2016, 06:16:49 PM »
I (or someone else?) will see if we can find a legit on-demand feed in a day or two.

Some of the older shows of the same name are at Youtube. But I am not sure they are legit.

One source

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCeHtvn_1ms

says it will play again on 2/27/2016. If so, it solves the problem.

Offline Query

• mgrunes.com
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2016, 07:34:49 PM »
Incidentally, while many of the same people were in the ABC show of the same name I recorded one year ago, the show was largely new.

Yet just as spectacular as before.

----Separate question----

All the ballroom dancers were either pros on "Dancing With The Stars" or figure skaters who were contestants on the U.S. version of "Dancing With The Stars" - a (BBC) franchise whose U.S. version airs on ABC.

That show's current stars and professionals are listed at

http://abc.go.com/shows/dancing-with-the-stars/cast

Does anyone know whether the pros on that show would all be considered to be or have been among the world's best ballroom dancers? I don't know enough about competitive ballroom to be sure from their bios.

Incidentally I think "So You Think You Can Dance" usually has a much better grade of contestant dancer than "Dancing with the Stars." Of course - many of the contestants are already professional dancers. But that airs on FOX.

Offline lutefisk

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 153
    • On Thin Ice
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2016, 07:43:08 PM »
It's a mystery to me--how do they know what channel I'm watching?  Does Big Brother tap into my cable box?  BTW, I didn't get a chance to watch the aforementioned show.  This weekend was the Valentine's competition at Bowie Ice Arena so I watched my skating buds and/or their kids up close instead.

Offline Query

• mgrunes.com
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2016, 08:01:54 PM »
It's a mystery to me--how do they know what channel I'm watching?  Does Big Brother tap into my cable box?

THIS IS WAY OFF-TOPIC, but

The cable company almost certainly does. I believe they also know what you search for.

How else are they to be able to guess what shows to recommend, if you ask for recommendations?

Plus, that info can be sold, so they probably do.

If your cable box connects to your TV through an HDMI cable, they can also tell what type of TV you have, and whether it is turned on.

But if you share your house with several people, I'm not sure if they can distinguish who watches. In theory, that could be done by monitoring your remote key depression rhythms, something that has been done on computers for decades.

Your cable company can re-program your cable box or DVR, which could give them access to anything the cable box or DVR can access, if they want it, including keypress rhythms.

A while ago, there was a big fuss because many high end Samsung TVs have built in cameras and microphones (nominally for teleconferencing), and, by default, anyone on the Internet could access them. I think Samsung finally provided a way to turn that off, but few people know about it. I have no reason to assume that cable boxes do or do not contain such devices. It would add to the cost, so they probably don't.

If you access your cable company's on-demand or other content through a computer (or streaming or mobile device, which are computers of a sort) they probably have access to many things on that computer, including cameras and microphones.

I've mostly stopped worrying about big brother, and little brothers like the cable company or ISP. It's too hard to keep them out. Worry about the privacy of your financial info. Worry about built in cameras on TVs and computers and mobile devices, if you use them naked. (Cover the cameras!) Otherwise, I suggest you forget about it.

Offline riley876

• BladeLock
  • AOSS Member
  • Total GOE: 26
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2016, 08:51:17 PM »
Worry about the privacy of your financial info.

Absolutely.  Any bank employee can put two and two together to work out exactly when you aren't going to be home,  by your spending patterns.  e.g. a card payment to a skating rink at the exact same time every single week.   If you've got anything of value, they can tell it from the purchase records.   

For this reason I pay cash whenever possible, just to leave no paper trail.  I also have accounts with 4 different banks, which I spread the rest of my transactions around.    Paranoid?   It's only paranoia if they *aren't* out to get you.  :o

Offline icedancer

• Custom Skates
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2016, 09:35:13 PM »
Absolutely.  Any bank employee can put two and two together to work out exactly when you aren't going to be home,  by your spending patterns.  e.g. a card payment to a skating rink at the exact same time every single week.   If you've got anything of value, they can tell it from the purchase records.   

That is so funny - my phone thinks I work at the rink because every Tuesday and Friday morning it gives me the "Time to Work" and a map, etc. 

It should say, "Time to Skate" but I pay for it in advance so "it" has no idea!

Offline lutefisk

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 153
    • On Thin Ice
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2016, 08:46:00 AM »
THIS IS WAY OFF-TOPIC, but

The cable company almost certainly does. I believe they also know what you search for.

How else are they to be able to guess what shows to recommend, if you ask for recommendations?

Plus, that info can be sold, so they probably do.

If your cable box connects to your TV through an HDMI cable, they can also tell what type of TV you have, and whether it is turned on.

But if you share your house with several people, I'm not sure if they can distinguish who watches. In theory, that could be done by monitoring your remote key depression rhythms, something that has been done on computers for decades.

Your cable company can re-program your cable box or DVR, which could give them access to anything the cable box or DVR can access, if they want it, including keypress rhythms.

A while ago, there was a big fuss because many high end Samsung TVs have built in cameras and microphones (nominally for teleconferencing), and, by default, anyone on the Internet could access them. I think Samsung finally provided a way to turn that off, but few people know about it. I have no reason to assume that cable boxes do or do not contain such devices. It would add to the cost, so they probably don't.

If you access your cable company's on-demand or other content through a computer (or streaming or mobile device, which are computers of a sort) they probably have access to many things on that computer, including cameras and microphones.

I've mostly stopped worrying about big brother, and little brothers like the cable company or ISP. It's too hard to keep them out. Worry about the privacy of your financial info. Worry about built in cameras on TVs and computers and mobile devices, if you use them naked. (Cover the cameras!) Otherwise, I suggest you forget about it.

Not worried about anything.  At my age I probably won't live long enough for anything to make much of a difference.  Mostly just curious.

Offline Query

• mgrunes.com
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2016, 04:57:47 PM »
On the off-topic privacy issue - Vizio TVs may send info on what you watch back to Vizio, and they may sell the info.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/nation-now/2016/02/18/vizio-class-action-lawsuit/80571054/?AID=10709313&PID=6155355&SID=iku8gbzpcu00s3dy00dth

:)

Offline Query

• mgrunes.com
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2016, 08:16:17 PM »
Shall we dance on ice - Shows Again!

It shows again on Sat 2/27/2016: 3 PM (EST?) on ABC

http://abc.go.com/shows/movies-and-specials/video/visionworks-shall-we-dance-on-ice

If you don't have a local ABC station, you can watch it live there.
But Flash appears to be required, so maybe you can't watch it on iPhones?
And it might be limited to the U.S.

TV guide only gave it 4 1/2 stars - I disagree. It should have been 5!

http://www.tvguide.com/tvshows/paul-mitchell-shall-we-dance-on-ice/899702/

Some Youtube videos from 2016 show:

Opening Number https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCeHtvn_1ms

Various https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=%2B%22shall+we+dance+on+ice%22+%2B%222016%22

Happy vicarious skating!