You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: What Insoles do you use in your boots?  (Read 3635 times)

Offline rd350

• Glides at Will
  • Total GOE: 8
What Insoles do you use in your boots?
« on: March 22, 2015, 02:07:51 PM »
In my ongoing quest to find the "just right" insoles for my custom Harlicks - that won't make me cramp, I thought I'd query the group and see what others use.

I did get my Bauerfiend insoles and they "look" good but they sent the wrong size - too big - so I can't try them.  Going to exchange and will report back as they are made for ski & skate.

For me, cushioning is important.  My PT thinks the yellow superfeet are too hard for me.  I put a bit of foam over them but it's not cutting it.  What's happening is that I am "gripping" because the support/cushioning isn't right and that's making me cramp.  Part of this is the structural issues I have that we are working on but I definitely need a different insole, which we are also working on finding just the right one.  She has one she wants to try if the Bauerfiend don't work.  I think these are the ones she wants to try:  http://www.vionicshoes.com/orthotics/shock-absorber-orthotic.html

I put a pair of SofSole cushioned insoles I have in the boots (in the apartment) and they feel the best so far.  However, I think they're too thick up front and may be pushing my toes up to the top of the boot.  No cramping feeling whatsoever though - off ice.

Spenco cushion insoles I also had, feel pretty good on my left (with the foam the fitter put in under) but on the right, not so awesome, although I will try with the bunion pad next (that's where I'm feeling it) but I think they are also too thick with the foam under on the right only.  Without the foam I can feel that dull going-to-cramp feeling right away.  They make a thin version I may go get to try.

Anyway, very interested in what everyone else uses!
Working on Silver MITF and Bronze Freestyle

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
Re: What Insoles do you use in your boots?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2015, 05:41:29 PM »
Yellow Superfeet.

I like them because they have vents at the heel to help with air circulation.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline amy1984

• Wearing Blade Guards on the Ice
  • Total GOE: 14
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2015, 05:51:09 PM »
Right now I just use the ones Jackson put in.  They're nice.  When I had Risport skates, I went through a few different ones.  The yellow super feet - which you have to follow the instructions for and buy properly, read the back, I ended up in a larger size than I would have thought - which I wouldn't say are padded.  For padding, tbh, the best I found were Dr. Scholls.  Take out the insoles of your skates, trace them, and cut out the shape you need.

Offline davincisop

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 162
  • 2017 Goal: Pass Bronze Dances
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2015, 10:33:10 PM »
I also use yellow superfeet, though I've heard of others using the black superfeet and the berry superfeet.

Offline rd350

• Glides at Will
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2015, 11:28:39 PM »
My fitter put in the yellow superfeet.  They're just too hard for me even with a thin piece of foam on top of it. :(

I think a lot of people do really well with those!

I skated tonight and tried 3 different combos.  The last one (regular cushion Spenco's) was the best.  I didn't cramp actually (almost not at all for the 25 minutes I skated with just that) but my feet were colder.

Offline irenar5

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 61
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2015, 12:58:13 AM »
I have used grey Superfeet (they are custom molded) , but now I use orthotics with a thin neoprene covering. 

Offline rd350

• Glides at Will
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2015, 01:10:22 AM »
@irenar5 interesting.  What is the neoprene covering or is that part of your orthotics?

Offline Christy

• AOSS Member
  • Total GOE: 103
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2015, 09:49:45 AM »
I have the grey superfeet but they are causing some discomfort. They are infinitely better than the standard Edea insoles but I am actually thinking of trying to get some of the Jackson insoles as they never gave me any problems.
Someone said the yellow superfeet don't actually provide much support and suggested the berry would be better but I haven't found the berry in any stores yet.

Offline rd350

• Glides at Will
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2015, 02:13:15 PM »
Christy, I think if you order from their website you can return them if you don't like them.  Even after trimming I think.

Offline irenar5

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 61
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2015, 09:07:51 PM »
rd350- the neoprene is just part of the orthotic.  The orthotic is hard plastic only  under the arch and the heel.  Neoprene covers the hard plastic and extends to the forefoot the whole length of the insole.

Offline rd350

• Glides at Will
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2015, 11:43:13 PM »
Thanks @irenar5!

Offline blue111moon

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 34
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2015, 09:44:01 AM »
My orthopedic surgeon just recommended Birkenstock Blue Foot Bed insoles for my shoes.  I'm getting the medium arch in the hope of stabilizing my already-destroyed right ankle and maybe stave off tendon surgery for a while.  I haven't gotten the insoles yet, but I'm thinking that if they work in my shoes, they might be helpful in my skates.

Although my skates are Klingbeils (one of the last pairs Don fitted himself) and the footbeds are molded to my horrendous arches so I don't know if insoles will work.

Offline Christy

• AOSS Member
  • Total GOE: 103
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2015, 10:11:24 AM »
Christy, I think if you order from their website you can return them if you don't like them.  Even after trimming I think.

I think they have a 60 day return policy regardless of where you buy, but I really want to try them first as I'm not sure about the sizing and don't know if the arch support feel the same across the entire range.