You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Boots and appropriate support  (Read 4435 times)

Offline PDXsk8er

• Wearing Rental Skates
  • Total GOE: 3
Boots and appropriate support
« on: March 04, 2015, 08:42:23 PM »
I am ISI Freestyle 3 and working on Freestyle 4 jumps (loop, flip). I am an adult, have been skating about 3 years net; had a 9-month break early on due to a broken left ankle (tibia/fibula) and 3 surgeries. My ankle is all mended, but has the tendency to roll inward, which makes it difficult to center spins on my left foot (admittedly, my technique is work in progress as well, but even when I do center a spin initially, I have to consciously remind myself to keep my ankle straight in order to stay centered).

I have experimented with different arch supports and also a bit with having the blade moved (which actually caused my ankle to start hurting after some months because they moved the blade to the outside which appears to have been the opposite of where I needed it; I ended up moving it back a couple weeks ago).

I skate 3-4 times a week and currently have Jackson Freestyle boots (have had them for a little over 2 years). I am beginning to wonder if I should try a firmer boot to help my ankle, or would a firmer boot be too stiff for my skating level? Or is it not likely to make a difference?

I have also attached a picture of my skate - is this about what the creasing should look like after a couple years, or is it starting to break down? Any fitters out there who could make a suggestion?

Thanks for sharing your opinion!

Offline jlspink22

• Gamified Figure Skater!
  • Total GOE: 9
Re: Boots and appropriate support
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2015, 09:17:04 AM »
The freestyles are rated for the level(s) you are working on but for kids who are lighter than adults - personally I got a barely used pair of freestyles to try out and I still feel wobbly in them but I'm also 150 lbs. They don't necessarily look terribly creased but then again they may not last for a whole lot of jumping. My little one is in strides (Riedell) which has a stiffness of 50 and she is only 5 learning single jumps and just beginning to learn freestyle combos and they aren't too stiff for her at all. That's just my opinion though.

Offline PDXsk8er

• Wearing Rental Skates
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2015, 10:39:31 AM »
Thanks! I am 5'8" and about 143 LBS. The only reason I am contemplating a stiffer boot is my troubled ankle; it's not what it used to be after those three surgeries. I could move up to the Jackson competitor, which is still rated for single jumps and axel (ISI Freestyle 5); the question is would it be too stiff and miserable. Waste of money or money well spent?

Offline celia

• Prerotation Society
  • Total GOE: 90
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2015, 01:12:46 PM »
I couldn't venture an opinion on what is best for you, but I'll add my personal experience and maybe it'll help you judge.  I wear Jackson Premiere (one step up from the Competitor).  I'm about 130 lbs.  I think they are amazingly comfortable, in fact, the most comfortable skates I've ever had.  But, you have to understand that my last pair of skates (Riedell Royals/Comps) were 18 years old from an era when I think they were all relatively uncomfortable.  I overbooted my current skill level a little, because I used to do doubles and wanted the skates to hold up for when I eventually get back there.  But, I've been using them the last year for nothing harder than my single jumps and the occasional axel attempt.  For my singles, stroking, etc., they feel fine and I don't find them too stiff, but there is way more padding in these than I'm used to and I found the break-in period to be only about 4 hours, 2 hours of it just stroking with LOTS of knee bend.  Have you tried on the Competitors in the store to see how they feel.  I tried on one step up from the Premiere (Elite?) in the store just for fun, and immediately rejected them as too stiff for my needs.

Offline Loops

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 112
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2015, 01:40:39 PM »
But, you have to understand that my last pair of skates (Riedell Royals/Comps) were 18 years old from an era when I think they were all relatively uncomfortable
/quote]

WE HAD THE SAME SKATES!!!!!! I still have my Comps.  Still are horribly painful despite many "surgeries".  Know how to do an axel and 2S though, so they will always have a place in my house.  Not necessarily on my feet though.

My advice to the OP is to talk to your coach and local skate tech.  You're dealing with a past injury which adds variables to the equation.  If you're lucky enough to have access to a PT/ Dr who is also a figure skater (or REALLY familiar with the sport) I'd get their advice too.  Perhaps one of the PT's on this forum will have some thoughts.

Good luck!  I doubt you'd regret going up a stiffness or even two, but I also tend to overboot myself because I like 'em stiff.  Talk to people, try things on, and I think you'll start getting a better idea of what might work for you. 

Offline celia

• Prerotation Society
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2015, 01:47:44 PM »
@Loops!  Ha!  Riedell Comp 925, right??  I still have mine, minus the blades.  I kept them when I first got my Jacksons "just in case" and now I'd never go back.  The gel in the old Riedells is nothing like the heat mold in the Jacksons today.  My old Riedells are still plenty stiff, though.  Not really broken down, but sometime over the years I think maybe the leather dried out/stiffened and they hurt when I wore them.  I promised myself back when I first got back into skating that if I could get myself to a Saturday morning freestyle at 7am four weeks in a row, I would buy myself the new skates. :)

Offline PDXsk8er

• Wearing Rental Skates
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2015, 01:51:18 PM »
Thanks, cw_skater - very helpful! No, I have not tried any other boots, on ice or off ice. Well, at the beginning I had the low end Riedells, and when I started jumping the local supplier who comes to our rink switched me to the Jackson Freestyle which I currently use. I think she mainly put me in Jackson because that's what she sells in her store. She's steering all adult learners toward the same model of Jackson boots and seems to have a "one size fits all" approach.

One thing I have noticed is that in order to feel like I have adequate support, I have to keep my left boot (the problem ankle) pretty tight which sometimes gives me a blister.

It seems that our local rinks mostly stock Riedell, so trying on and comparing different Jackson models side by side probably isn't in the cards because one has to order them. However, at this point I don't have a brand preference, so perhaps trying on different Riedell models side by side in the store would be the way to go. Do you know off hand what would be the Riedell-equivalent of the Jackson Premiere?

Thanks again for taking the time to respond.

Offline PDXsk8er

• Wearing Rental Skates
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2015, 01:55:17 PM »
Thanks, Loops, for the advice!

Offline celia

• Prerotation Society
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2015, 01:58:02 PM »
I don't know the equivalent Riedell, but try looking at this chart:
https://www.kinziescloset.com/skate-comparison-guide.html

Also, know that Riedells generally have a narrower toe box than Jacksons, so preference may depend on the shape of your foot.

Offline icedancer

• Custom Skates
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2015, 02:02:03 PM »
Are you in Portland? Judging by your screen-name...

Me too.

Offline jlspink22

• Total GOE: 9
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2015, 02:23:09 PM »
I don't know the equivalent Riedell, but try looking at this chart:
https://www.kinziescloset.com/skate-comparison-guide.html

Also, know that Riedells generally have a narrower toe box than Jacksons, so preference may depend on the shape of your foot.

The newer Riedells are not that much narrower (if at all) than Jackson's - just went through this ... however.... the shape for the foot that is wearing them is totally different.

Offline Loops

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2015, 02:28:05 PM »
@Loops!  Ha!  Riedell Comp 925, right??  I still have mine, minus the blades.  I kept them when I first got my Jacksons "just in case" and now I'd never go back.  The gel in the old Riedells is nothing like the heat mold in the Jacksons today.  My old Riedells are still plenty stiff, though.  Not really broken down, but sometime over the years I think maybe the leather dried out/stiffened and they hurt when I wore them.  I promised myself back when I first got back into skating that if I could get myself to a Saturday morning freestyle at 7am four weeks in a row, I would buy myself the new skates. :)

Wait, yours had GEL?!  Mine are the first generation comps, from around 1988 maybe 1989 whichever year they came out.  A few years later they started putting gel in the ankles for cushioning.  Mine deffo don't have that.  Mine are probably worthy of some Riedell museum type thing if they weren't so butt-ugly from all the work on the toebox to make them fit.  And the peeling polish.  Still stiff enough though, I actually intended to use them all last season.  Just couldn't stand the pain though.  Thank goodness for the invention of gel and split widths!  They're awesome skates....if only they fit me.

@PDX, Riedell and Jackson definitely have different lasts.  Riedell in general are a "narrower" fit, the heels and toes are close to the same width.  I can not wear stock Riedells, my toe box is too wide relative to my heel.  I can't wear stock Jackson's either, but they are still much more comfortable on my feet.  Worth trying both.  While you're sorting this out, you can try some gel sleeves inside your skates, or at least the left one.  Will help with the blister factor.  I won't skate without mine.

Offline PDXsk8er

• Wearing Rental Skates
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2015, 03:06:22 PM »
I will try the gel sleeve.

I was fine in Riedell. I measured my own foot based on their sizing chart and measurement instructions - ordered a wider width even though I don't have a particularly wide foot, so I was a little worried that my measurement could be incorrect. But they fit like a glove, so I know I can go with stock Riedell or Jackson without any problem.

Offline icedancer

• Custom Skates
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2015, 03:12:08 PM »
The gels sleeves are great!

Why not go to one of the local fitters? I would never trust myself for the nuances - plus if you use a local fitter they will work with you to make it right if the skates aren't right.

Offline Loops

« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2015, 03:24:54 PM »
...plus if you use a local fitter they will work with you to make it right if the skates aren't right.

This^.  You can not replace this sort of expertise/service.  Plus it really is worth having someone with experience fit your skates.  You might be surprised at what you learn.  I wouldn't trust myself with my own measurements.  As Icedancer also mentions, the nuances of the bootshape are impossible to discern without actually putting your foot in there.

Good luck!  And enjoy!

Offline PDXsk8er

• Wearing Rental Skates
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2015, 03:35:57 PM »
LOL I would not even think about measuring my own foot now; I am talking back at the beginning when I decided that rental skates sucked and I bought a pair of Riedell 133 (they offer a bit more support than slippers  :)) Looking back I am amazed that they fit as well as they did.

Anyway, I am not suggesting taking matters into my own hands at all; I mentioned it merely to say that I know I can wear stock Riedell or Jackson and I am not locked into one brand or the other because of the shape of my foot.

Thanks for your input!

Offline axelwylie

• Total GOE: 131
  • Passed Adult Gold Freestyle - Jan 2014
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2015, 08:56:49 PM »
I skated in Jackson Competitor boots for about 9 years. Those boots lasted a long time and I only replaced them because I finally realized they were too big for my feet. Regardless, they were stiff enough to get me through my Adult Gold MIF and Freestyle tests (Axel and a few landed double salchows).
Join my Skating Fridays blog posts at www.eva-bakes.com