You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Skate shop visit after thought question....  (Read 2809 times)

Offline jlspink22

• Gamified Figure Skater!
  • Total GOE: 9
Skate shop visit after thought question....
« on: February 17, 2015, 09:06:33 AM »
So we got my DDs strides - I was charged the $239 for the boot/Capri blade combo. He put on the jubilee blade, sharpened the jubilees and heat molded the boots and though he did not charge me extra for any of the work, he kept the blade I didn't want - so I guess that was the trade off? He did ask me what I was going to do with the old boots but I said I wasn't sure. And now I have these size 12 boots here with no blade. Was I supposed to ask if he wanted them or something lol?

That being said, I *think* I can reuse the boots when she outgrows them but I don't know much about them other than they are an older 98 model and they feel similar if not slightly less stiff than the Strides. My only concern is that where there would normally be a flex notch, they are already starting to crease/ bend out and she only wore them for 2 months. Similar thing happened to her Artistes after a few months. She is only learning single jumps but she skates with a deep knee bend even when just zipping around so maybe that is why?

Offline jlspink22

Re: Skate shop visit after thought question....
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2015, 09:14:02 AM »

Boots in question...

Offline TreSk8sAZ

• Blade Runner
  • Total GOE: 42
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2015, 11:59:46 AM »
A crease in the boot where it's bending doesn't automatically mean the skates are broken down - it could just mean they are broken in. I always crease my boots - the leather can't bend without doing so. But I can skate with them like that for a year or more before the stability of the boot actually breaks down.

And it's weird to me that you didn't get to keep the old blades. They're yours, you'd paid for them before. I would have asked why he was keeping them, as otherwise you could have done something with them yourself.

Offline jlspink22

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2015, 12:48:23 PM »
And it's weird to me that you didn't get to keep the old blades. They're yours, you'd paid for them before. I would have asked why he was keeping them, as otherwise you could have done something with them yourself.

"A la carte" heat molding was listed as a $25 charge, blade mounting $60, and sharpening was either $25 or 30. I thought he would have charged me the boot only price and then extra for the other services, but the math isn't adding up. Boot and blade combo he has listed for $239 on his site and I bought her a sparkly Jerry's headband @ $25. Total was 271.10. NJ tax is usually 7%.

If he gave me the blade I would have sold the old boots and blade to her coach who was looking for 12s.

Offline alejeather

• Ice Tourist
  • Total GOE: 23
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2015, 01:49:53 PM »
The heat molding and mounting may be included if the boots are bought through the pro shop. That's not a terribly unusual practice. He may charge those a la carte prices if the boots were not bought through him. He may have kept the blades by accident. I would ask about them.
"Any day now" turned out to be November 14, 2014.

Offline jlspink22

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2015, 02:37:33 PM »
The heat molding and mounting may be included if the boots are bought through the pro shop. That's not a terribly unusual practice. He may charge those a la carte prices if the boots were not bought through him. He may have kept the blades by accident. I would ask about them.

Yes I should. We were all tired and hungry by that point in the day (lesson, 1 hr drive, PS, then fitting) so it skipped my mind.

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2015, 04:04:58 PM »
A crease in the boot where it's bending doesn't automatically mean the skates are broken down - it could just mean they are broken in. I always crease my boots - the leather can't bend without doing so. But I can skate with them like that for a year or more before the stability of the boot actually breaks down.

Agreed, those are normal "broken in" creases, nothing you'd need to worry about in terms of resale value - deeper creases that extend back towards the heel counter would be, but these don't look anything like those do :)  You can even get deeper creases with normal break-in, and those aren't always a problem either - my Harlicks have fairly big/deep creases that they developed fairly quickly (and I followed correct break-in procedures) but they've not gotten worse over time, they've just stayed the same - so those are fine).

Agreed - unless it was discussed beforehand that you'd be giving him the blades in exchange for the work, it's not okay that he kept them.  They're not his.

Offline jlspink22

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2015, 04:48:37 PM »
Agreed, those are normal "broken in" creases, nothing you'd need to worry about in terms of resale value - deeper creases that extend back towards the heel counter would be, but these don't look anything like those do :)  You can even get deeper creases with normal break-in, and those aren't always a problem either - my Harlicks have fairly big/deep creases that they developed fairly quickly (and I followed correct break-in procedures) but they've not gotten worse over time, they've just stayed the same - so those are fine).

Agreed - unless it was discussed beforehand that you'd be giving him the blades in exchange for the work, it's not okay that he kept them.  They're not his.

Since its a bit of a drive, should I email him and ask what the cost break down was?

Also, if her blades need adjusting, he should take care of it - yes?

I don't necessarily want to be *that person* that is overly annoying that I can't go back there if I need something...

Offline twinskaters

• Practicing Chick Tails
Skate shop visit after thought question....
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2015, 09:10:50 PM »
I would just email and put it on myself. "I can't believe I forgot to take the old blades! Can you put them aside for me for next time?" If he took them in lieu of cash, he will tell you.

Offline littlerain

• On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 11
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2015, 09:13:38 PM »

I would just email and put it on myself. "I can't believe I forgot to take the old blades! Can you put them aside for me for next time?" If he took them in lieu of cash, he will tell you.

Agreed. :)

Offline jlspink22

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2015, 08:29:57 AM »
Good idea - Not sure what I will do with the blades though as I found a 7 3/4" Jubilee blade on eBay that I may be able to mount on the sz 12 skates so that they are ready to go when needed (going to get opinions/pricing first). 

I also noticed the smaller strides do not have a flex notch making the boots look and feel so similar it is probably worth keeping the 12s - I doubt she would need anything stiffer than the stride for at least another year.