You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Speaking of laces - brand/matrial combo you like best?  (Read 4498 times)

Offline rd350

• Glides at Will
  • Total GOE: 8
Speaking of laces - brand/matrial combo you like best?
« on: February 15, 2015, 02:03:09 PM »
Speaking of laces, is there a certain material combo you like?  I had the nylon on while breaking in (first 15 hours and lots of cuts on fingers) and just switched out to a poly/cotton mix (I think - was whatever they had in the little pro shop) but I feel like they are extra thick so hard to tie down after getting to the top.

Are the Edea laces better like they say on their descriptions?  :  )  Reading hype?
Working on Silver MITF and Bronze Freestyle

Offline saje

• Diamond Blocking
  • Total GOE: 7
Re: Speaking of laces - brand/matrial combo you like best?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2015, 04:03:36 PM »
I like nylon ones the best because I feel like I can really get my skate tied the way I like with nylon.  However, I will wear the combo ones if I can't get nylon.  I HATE all cotton laces though.  They make my feet cramp up.

I think laces (just like all skating equipment) are a personal preference thing.  You try out a bunch of stuff, figure out what you like best, and stick with it.  Luckily, laces are cheap and easy to try out and discard if you don't like them, unlike boots and blades. :)
Current Skating Projects:
-Intermediate MITF (still...)
-Double toes + double loops
-Getting my camel back

Offline rd350

• Glides at Will
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2015, 05:02:33 PM »
Oh! Oh! Oh!  I cramped up (especially on the right) after switching out laces!!!!  I'm sure I cramped before too (breaking in new very stiff skates) but I do not think as much or as early.  Now why would the laces make one cramp?

I posted about the cramping last night.  I think I'll go push up the post, don't think anyone saw it.

I really tore up my fingers with the nylon laces and I feel like they really indent the tongue in a way the combo ones don't.  Hmm.... it's always apples and oranges isn't it?  LOL

Did I mention it only took me around 30-40 to re-lace with the stiff tongue in my way!   :P

Offline Query

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2015, 12:31:46 AM »
Bright orange (my boots are black) Nylon parachute cord (or utility cord, from a camping goods store), a little larger diameter than the holes to make sure the lace won't slip back if I let go of it with my fingers. Easy on the fingers (because they are round, don't twist, and are as large as possible for the holes), and looks cool.

Comes in 25 or 50 foot lengths, certainly long enough for skates. I melt and roll the ends so they went through the holes easier, and don't fray.

I love it. But the right diameter depends on your hole size.

Offline Casey

• Defrosting Da Toes
  • Total GOE: 14
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2015, 07:47:53 PM »
100% cotton for me. They don't cramp if you tie them right, but since cotton doesn't stretch and slip the way nylon does, you shouldn't tie them the same way. Tie them comfortably and they stay there for hours without a retie. I'd like to try hemp...

Offline Loops

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 112
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2015, 01:49:19 PM »
I don't think you can get 100% cotton skate laces (well, not dedicated skate laces).  I truely hate nylon laces, and as such am not a fan of the Risport laces.  Edea look and feel the same as Risport.  I swear by the mostly cotton blend Riedell brand laces.  If you can find them.  As Saje said earlier, this is completely personal, and you'll need to do the trial and error for yourself.  But I like the Riedells because, they don't tear up my hands nearly as much as nylon laces do and they don't slip.  They could be the best $3 you'll ever spend!!!

Offline AgnesNitt

• Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2015, 01:53:55 PM »
I take whatever lace comes with the skates and I learn to live with it.

I hated, hated, hated Harlick laces and tried replacements. Those were horrible with the boots and I went back to Harlicks. After a few times skating I got used to them.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline Casey

• Defrosting Da Toes
  • Total GOE: 14
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2015, 02:50:01 PM »
You can certainly get 100% cotton, it's the oldest option. I have found them carried at some (though rare) pro shops and by skate fitters. You can also find them online.

Offline rd350

• Glides at Will
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2015, 08:00:40 PM »
Thanks.  I found the Reidell's and bought them but haven't put them in yet.  Took almost 40 minutes to get the last ones in!  Going to do it soon.

Offline nicklaszlo

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 221
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2015, 08:43:57 PM »
You can certainly get 100% cotton, it's the oldest option. I have found them carried at some (though rare) pro shops and by skate fitters. You can also find them online.

We have a whole thread about how hard they are to find.  Especially in black.

I use Jackson laces, which I got special ordered from a pro shop.

Offline streetsmart

• Designated Spinner
  • Total GOE: 0
  • Making a comeback
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2015, 08:46:08 PM »
I don't think you can get 100% cotton skate laces (well, not dedicated skate laces).  I truely hate nylon laces, and as such am not a fan of the Risport laces.  Edea look and feel the same as Risport.  I swear by the mostly cotton blend Riedell brand laces.  If you can find them.  As Saje said earlier, this is completely personal, and you'll need to do the trial and error for yourself.  But I like the Riedells because, they don't tear up my hands nearly as much as nylon laces do and they don't slip.  They could be the best $3 you'll ever spend!!!

My Risport laces are most definitely NOT nylon.  They came with wide cotton laces.

I do like the Riedell laces better though.  This post has made me think...  I might switch out the laces from my Riedells and put them on my new Risports.

Offline AgnesNitt

• Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2015, 09:55:06 PM »
We have a whole thread about how hard they are to find.  Especially in black.

I use Jackson laces, which I got special ordered from a pro shop.

You are lucky your pro shop carries them. Mine doesn't because Jackson only sells them in sets of 24 I think. Or by the gross or something.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline nicklaszlo

• Total GOE: 221
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2015, 10:24:08 PM »
You are lucky your pro shop carries them. Mine doesn't because Jackson only sells them in sets of 24 I think. Or by the gross or something.

They did not carry them.  That is why it was a special order.  Maybe I bankrupted Rainbo because they special ordered too many laces for me and never bothered to put them on display in the store or on the website.  I should have thought to try and buy their remaining stock when they were closing down. 

Offline rd350

• Glides at Will
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2015, 12:38:41 AM »
Doh!  ;) I can also take the laces off my Reidells and switch them out!  I'll see if they feel different than the new ones I bought.  Not sure what material(s) they are.

Offline Doubletoe

• Total GOE: 139
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2015, 05:56:55 PM »
I only use 50-50 laces (50% cotton/50% nylon).  Cotton laces are too thick and tend to come off the hooks of my boots, while nylon laces cut my fingers when I lace them.  50-50 laces don't do either of those things.  They're just right!

Offline rd350

• Glides at Will
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2015, 07:51:38 PM »
I'm using 50/50 cotton/nylon now and they look like they're going to come of the hooks!  But havent.  Yet.  Much thicker than the nylon.