You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: ---Light weight blades ACTUAL WEIGHT---  (Read 13822 times)

Offline Query

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
Re: ---Light weight blades ACTUAL WEIGHT---
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2015, 05:06:50 PM »
Yes, that is true.  But given the choice between a Gold Seal blade that weighs less and a Gold Seal blade that weighs more, I would prefer to have one that weighs less.  The less my boot and blade weigh, the less strain on my body when I have that skate at the end of my leg and its weight is magnified by the effect of centrifugal force (i.e., when I swing my free leg around gong into a sit spin or pull my foot into a catch foot position on a flying camel spin.)

That makes a lot of sense!  :)

But, Skating Skies, you said you were deciding between MK Pro, Coronation Ace, and unspecified model Matrix blades.

What kinds of move are you working on? And what blades are you using now?

I presumed (because you mentioned Coronation Ace) that you might be moving from the beginner blades that came pre-mounted on your current skates, and that you are  working on early freestyle or below, and are mastering basic balance, edges and coordination. If I'm right, maybe a few hundred mg weight change would be a small change compared to choosing between the 3 blade shapes indicated.

Am I wrong? Are you in fact working on very fast spins, where reducing the angular momentum you need to control might be important, or at the limits of your physical strength while jumping, so that a small percentage of body weight change might be a big deal?

Offline nicklaszlo

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 221
Re: ---Light weight blades ACTUAL WEIGHT---
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2018, 03:05:33 AM »
My new Risport RF1 Exclusive 285 boots are about 750 g per boot (no blades).