You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: What was it like when you first got Paired up with your first Skating Partner?  (Read 1123 times)

Offline FSWer

• Defrosting Da Toes
  • Total GOE: 1
Say,for all our Pairs and Ice-Dancers out there. I'd like to ask just that. What WAS it like when you first got Paired up with your first Parner? Please specify if it was for Pairs or Dance.

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 188
I started skating a club that offered patch, freestyle and dance every Sunday night.  If you wanted to stay on the ice during the Dance sessions, you had to ice dance.  It was a very nice, social atmosphere.  Nothing formal - they'd announce the music and everyone would line up and start, one skater after the other with a gap between each.  Several gentlemen dancers (all old enough to be my father) would offer to be a lady's partner.  There was no funny business, they just loved to ice dance and they were always kind about a forgotten or wrong step. 

I remember skating several times with one man in particular who was probably in his 60's.  He must have partnered me through the Dutch Waltz test, but I really don't remember registering, to tell the truth.  I must have checked the box when I took my first figure test.  The USFSA thinks I passed and that's good enough for me!

I miss that Club so much, it was such a wonderful experience with really nice people.  Alas, it folded many years ago because no one wanted to go to an outdoor rink at night in the winter.

I also skated ISI Couples many years ago with a really good friend.  It was hard work, no romance or fooling around.  We did well on all the side-by-side stuff.  The lifts were mediocre, even though they weren't overhead, probably because he wasn't that much taller than I.  We had a lot of fun and it helped both of us skate better because we had to have good technique in order to stay in sync with each other.

Then we became ambitious and started trying pair spins - not a good idea.  With college graduation and "real work" we decided to stop skating as a couple, but we stayed friends. 

DH titled him the "Best Supporting Dancer" at our wedding - he was a wonderful dancer and he was on the dance floor all night long.  Everytime the videographer panned the floor, there he was with his bright red hair!
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com