You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Bad Experience with Riedell Custom  (Read 4342 times)

Offline johnallocca

• Pinwheel Pro
  • Total GOE: 11
  • Ice is Nice
    • Allocca Biotechnology, LLC
Bad Experience with Riedell Custom
« on: April 09, 2014, 01:14:09 PM »
Riedell quoted me 4 weeks for custom boots. It's been almost 6 weeks and they still haven't shipped my boots. I regret doing business with them.

John :(

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
Re: Bad Experience with Riedell Custom
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2014, 08:36:55 PM »
I'm surprised they said 4 weeks. My stock boots have taken that long.
Bookmakers are really small. One person out can screw up their orders. For customs I don't expect anything on time. They get there when they get there. (But I'd stArt pinging them at 6-8 weeks)
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline johnallocca

• Pinwheel Pro
  • Ice is Nice
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2014, 10:07:56 PM »
Meanwhile, I don't have any skates...

John :)

Offline JSM

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 39
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2014, 11:45:48 PM »
In my experience, four weeks is really fast, especially for custom boots.  I don't wear Riedells, but with many manufacturers 6-8 is a lot more realistic.

It sucks, I know how it is waiting for boots!

Offline johnallocca

• Pinwheel Pro
  • Ice is Nice
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2014, 08:39:41 AM »
Previously, I purchased custom boots from Klingbeil. They say 4 weeks and deliver in 4 weeks. They also have a 2 week option for an extra $100 (total of $850). The Riedell custom boots are $800.

I regret not going to Klingbeil.

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Total GOE: 188
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2014, 08:48:24 AM »
Previously, I purchased custom boots from Klingbeil. They say 4 weeks and deliver in 4 weeks. They also have a 2 week option for an extra $100 (total of $850). The Riedell custom boots are $800.

I regret not going to Klingbeil.

The Klingbeil you last used is no more.  I remember getting boots from them in less than estimated and it turned out it was because they weren't busy.  I just happened to order at the right time and they were having a down tick in new orders.  Stuff happens.

Don't get buyer's remorse, just be patient.  Having been on this board for a long time, I can tell you that having to wait longer than estimated/expected for an order happens with every mfg, including Klingbeil, and for both custom and stock boots.   (In several cases, it turned put that the mfg wasn't at fault, the shop didn't put in e order on a timely basis.). Have you called to follow up?  What did they say?

Frankly, I think it unfair to criticize them "out loud" so quickly.
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline johnallocca

• Pinwheel Pro
  • Ice is Nice
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2014, 08:51:24 AM »
My old skates are ng. So, waiting extra time to get on the ice is very frustrating. If I had a pair of skates and I was just waiting for an upgrade, it would be different. At least I would be able to skate.

Not skating is not good!

Offline TropicalSk8ter

• Defrosting Da Toes
  • Total GOE: 3
  • live, breathe, eat figure skating
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2014, 09:18:28 AM »

My old skates are ng. So, waiting extra time to get on the ice is very frustrating. If I had a pair of skates and I was just waiting for an upgrade, it would be different. At least I would be able to skate.

Not skating is not good!

I feel your pain and impatience. Especially if you don't have skates like you say. I had to wait for a month and a half for my first pair of Riedell skates,non customs. (Also my very first pair of figure skates) Now when I ordered my Jackson's since I didn't need custom I got my boot in like a week and two days... Not as long as the first time but I still felt anxious and antsy. Post some pics when you finally get them!! Post it with the revolution blades already mounted I sure that's going to look sooo nice.

Ripping the ice all day!

Offline PhysicsOnIce

• Wearing Blade Guards on the Ice
  • Total GOE: 292
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2014, 09:25:13 AM »

Not skating is not good!

Just a recommendation... NEVER wait until last minute to order boots, specially if you are getting custom boots. As soon as you start feeling that you don't have enough support start to contact your manufacturer. You never know what is happening behind closed doors at the shop. In some cases the process goes quickly but in orders the process goes SLOW! I don't skate in custom boots (at the moment) but I know that delays can occur even in stock boots. I don't think it is fair for you to be complaining without specifically talking to them first and seeing what is causing the order to be late.

I know it is frustrating to wait, but consider that it is the off season starts soon, which means a lot of skaters will be ordering skates and breaking in new skates during the summer.... they could just simply be over worked at the moment.
Let your heart and soul guide your blades

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
  • Total GOE: 49
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2014, 12:02:40 PM »
Based on a telephone call, with one member of the company, I wouldn't say they made you a firm promise. It's not in writing and unless you've got a recording you can't hold them to it.
I would suggest the member of staff gave you an estimate of how long it would take and they may not have been in a position to properly do that.
You're also not accounting for lags in the system, when did they actually get your order, on the day you placed it or has it gone via some middlemen, or sat in someone's inbox because they were on leave, etc...
and as you say you've not skated for some time, another week or so isn't going to make much difference.

Offline AgnesNitt

• Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2014, 04:37:17 PM »
As I understand it, every major figure skating manufacturer makes boots by hand. These aren't factories in the modern sense. These are factories in the old fashioned craftsman sense.  Custom boots may need a custom last, plus selection of leathers, etc. But stock and custom are still built by hand.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline johnallocca

• Pinwheel Pro
  • Ice is Nice
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2014, 04:56:16 PM »
I don't care what any of you say. A promise is a promise. I really don't like the replies I got here. Completely unsupportive. I may leave this forum.

Is there any way of removing this post?

John

Offline icedancer

• Custom Skates
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2014, 04:57:58 PM »
Why not call the company and ask them?

How are we supposed to know?

Offline rachelplotkin

• Prerotation Society
  • Total GOE: 7
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2014, 05:38:19 PM »
I really don't like the replies I got here. Completely unsupportive. I may leave this forum.

Wow!  Imho none of these responses read as not supporting you.  I think people here are being sympathetic to your desire to skate and are trying to appease some of your impatience.  Is this how you always behave if you think someone is not in agreement with you?

Offline Query

• Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2014, 05:43:23 PM »
Why not call the company and ask them?

How are we supposed to know?

My thoughts exactly! We don't know when and if the pro shop sent in the order. Maybe the order or the boots were lost in the mail.

Maybe Riedell, or your boots, were kidnapped by aliens.  :)  (Good boots are hard to find, on any planet...)

Offline pegasus99

• Homologating Quadrubles
  • Total GOE: 8
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2014, 06:03:04 PM »

Speaking from a Customer Service standpoint: Currently I've had a mirrorball on backorder for over a month, simply because all mirrorballs of that size were bought up and replacements are in China. (US Made mirrorballs are 3X the price but way better... I digress.) Dance Floors can be backordered for over three months, due to manufacturing problems with the vinyl. LED Products are rarely the same thing twice because LED's are so nutty.

Things happen. Custom things can take awhile, especially if the manufacturer is busy or having problems with their own vendors. You have to plan for problems when it comes to Custom Items.

And when I give a lead time, I try to emphasize that it's an estimate, don't bank on it. I had a woman schedule labor around a shipment the trucking company said would deliver on a given day, and when it didn't show up she called me in a complete frenzy. Turns out the poor driver got lost.... which is my fault how??

Just be patient or cancel the order and move on.

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
  • Total GOE: 141
    • Ten Years of Figure Skating Discussions!
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2014, 06:32:00 PM »
Mod note: Thread locked until I get a chance to review.
-- Isk8NYC --
"I like to skate on the other side of the ice." - Comedian Steven Wright