You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Buying New Skates - Jackson Freestyles?  (Read 5850 times)

Offline sk8great

• Figure skating isn't a sport. me: -flashes blades-
  • Diamond Blocking
  • Total GOE: 33
Buying New Skates - Jackson Freestyles?
« on: February 24, 2014, 04:23:22 AM »
Both heels on my Jackson Marquis' are starting to detach from the PVC sole, and my coach is advising me to get new skates (this time possibly skates with a leather sole) because Im just about to enter Delta/Freestyle 1 and Im thinking of getting Jackson Freestyles. Any recommendations of a skate that can accommodate a flatfoot? I currently have Yellow Superfeet insoles on my skates to help with me being flatfooted. Any skate recommendations for skates? :) Thanks!

Offline Loops

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 112
Re: Buying New Skates
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2014, 06:30:10 AM »
The best thing you can do for yourself is to find a good skate fitter (ask around your rink/coaches/other skaters etc), and go visit that person.  If you're comfortable in Jackson's that might very well be the best skate for you.  Each brand fits a little bit differently, and you want the best starting point possible (before punching out/etc).  A good fitter will help you get the best fitting boot.  I can recommend one in the DC area, and I think Rainbo Sports is another good one if you're in the Mid-West.

If the yellow superfeet are working for you, then make sure you bring them with you and try your skates on with them.

I personally would opt for something with a leather sole.  It's easier to change/remount blades and I suspect better quality overall.  Having said that, Edeas do not have a leather sole, and people with Edea feet love them.  Given that many Olympians are wearing them, I suspect whatever their sole technology is, it can support changing blades etc.

Good luck!

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2014, 10:30:14 AM »
sk8great. How long have you had the Marquis? Were they second hand?  I don't know what JAckson's warranty is, but both boots separating from the heel is unusual. I know you intend to get new boots anyway, so when you do, make sure you ask about the warranty.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Total GOE: 188
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2014, 03:25:47 PM »
IIRC, you have severe pronation and skate without insoles...the blades were adjusted (on a PVC sole)...and you're a guy...things that make me go hmmmm...  (A comedy bit that Arsenio Hall didn't bring back with his new late night show.  I'm terribly disappointed - it was one of my favs.)

I'd say that, at your level, get Jackson Freestyles.
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline sk8great

• Diamond Blocking
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2014, 12:34:48 AM »
sk8great. How long have you had the Marquis? Were they second hand?  I don't know what JAckson's warranty is, but both boots separating from the heel is unusual. I know you intend to get new boots anyway, so when you do, make sure you ask about the warranty.

Had them for about 3 or 4 years now.

EDIT: They we're brand new when I got them from Rainbo.

Offline sk8great

• Diamond Blocking
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2014, 12:39:08 AM »
IIRC, you have severe pronation and skate without insoles...the blades were adjusted (on a PVC sole)...and you're a guy...things that make me go hmmmm...  (A comedy bit that Arsenio Hall didn't bring back with his new late night show.  I'm terribly disappointed - it was one of my favs.)

I'd say that, at your level, get Jackson Freestyles.

HOW DID YOU KNOW ALL THAT. :o  :psychic  All those things are correct, except skating without the insoles. I skate with Yellow Superfeet insoles.  ;)
Planning on getting fitted today for Freestyles. Thanks  :)

Offline iomoon

• Needs a Helmet
  • Total GOE: 6
Re: Buying New Skates - Jackson Freestyles?
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2014, 03:37:26 AM »
The best thing to do is to ask your coach what they think is best.

I had Jackson Freestyles and upgraded to SP ProTeri because it was giving me foot problems (pronation and a combination of narrow heel with wide toebed). A chiropractor said I had a stress injury due to bad skates. You would need to add an insole to make it comfortable, since the footbed is really flat. Unfortunately, Superfeet has difficulty fitting into these, too.  :-\ Superfeet is too wide for the footbed. Of course, I tried it with dress shoe size 6 1/2 in a 5 1/2 C Freestyle, but you get the idea.

SP Teri was the most expensive purchase I made, but coaches could tell the difference right away.  It was worth it. Expensive skates force you to skate more. XD

Offline eillie

• Beware the Bars of Death!
  • Total GOE: 0
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2014, 05:38:43 PM »
If you are interested in insoles but the yellow SuperFeet leave room for improvement, Jackson sells blue insoles that work with their skates, and while I don't know how they compare with the SuperFeet, they were light years ahead of the flimsy insoles that originally came with my Jackson Elles.  The higher end Jacksons come with the blue ones, but I'm not sure whether that includes the Freestyles or not (if they don't, you can buy them separately for about $20).

Offline ChristyRN

• Salchow-a-Bunga!
  • Total GOE: 184
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2014, 09:04:37 PM »
If you are interested in insoles but the yellow SuperFeet leave room for improvement, Jackson sells blue insoles that work with their skates, and while I don't know how they compare with the SuperFeet, they were light years ahead of the flimsy insoles that originally came with my Jackson Elles.  The higher end Jacksons come with the blue ones, but I'm not sure whether that includes the Freestyles or not (if they don't, you can buy them separately for about $20).

The Competitor is one step above the Freestyle and it came with the thin red insole.
Once in his life, every man is entitled to fall madly in love with one gorgeous redhead.  (Lucille Ball)

Offline davincisop

• Total GOE: 162
  • 2017 Goal: Pass Bronze Dances
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2014, 10:31:13 PM »
If you are at all near the chicago area, I recommend Rainbo Sports as well for fitting. John knows his stuff.

Offline sk8great

• Diamond Blocking
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2014, 12:26:26 AM »
If you are at all near the chicago area, I recommend Rainbo Sports as well for fitting. John knows his stuff.

Rainbo has always been my go to store when I was in Chicago. But I recently moved here in the Philippines and there aren't really decent skate shops here. There are only about two pro shops here and it's in 2 of the only 3 rinks we have here.

So yerp.  88)

Offline sk8great

• Diamond Blocking
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2014, 12:39:45 AM »
I got fitted for Freestyles yesterday and they told me that they only had Freestyles with an Aspire XP blade.

~ Is the Aspire XP blade to advance for my level?
~Will it be hard transitioning from a Mirage to an Aspire XP blade?

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Total GOE: 188
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2014, 09:51:06 AM »
I got fitted for Freestyles yesterday and they told me that they only had Freestyles with an Aspire XP blade.

See, this is why pro shops get a bad reputation.  They only have Freestyles with Aspire XP blades IN THEIR STOCKROOM.  You can always order the boots separately, but the salesperson doesn't want to offer that if it means they can make a sale on the spot.

That said, when my DD needed new Freestyles late last year, our pro shop relayed a message from Jackson, saying that they were all on backorder until May.  We ended up having them pull the blades off a stock set and replace with the Coronation Aces from her old boots.

~ Is the Aspire XP blade to advance for my level?
~Will it be hard transitioning from a Mirage to an Aspire XP blade?

What skating level are you now?  I doubt you'll have  a problem with the transition, but you could see if the Mirage blades would fit your new boots.

"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline sk8great

• Diamond Blocking
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2014, 10:16:56 AM »
See, this is why pro shops get a bad reputation.  They only have Freestyles with Aspire XP blades IN THEIR STOCKROOM.  You can always order the boots separately, but the salesperson doesn't want to offer that if it means they can make a sale on the spot.

That said, when my DD needed new Freestyles late last year, our pro shop relayed a message from Jackson, saying that they were all on backorder until May.  We ended up having them pull the blades off a stock set and replace with the Coronation Aces from her old boots.

The crazy part about this is that they're charging me over PHP 25,000 (which is about USD 500) for the Freestyles with the Aspire XP blade.
Upon checking Rainbo Sports' website, they're selling Freestyles (with Mirage blades) for about USD 279 (PHP 12,437)

What skating level are you now?  I doubt you'll have  a problem with the transition, but you could see if the Mirage blades would fit your new boots.

About to enter Delta/Freestyle 1.

Offline Loops

• Total GOE: 112
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2014, 11:12:53 AM »
The crazy part about this is that they're charging me over PHP 25,000 (which is about USD 500) for the Freestyles with the Aspire XP blade.
Upon checking Rainbo Sports' website, they're selling Freestyles (with Mirage blades) for about USD 279 (PHP 12,437)

About to enter Delta/Freestyle 1.

[sigh].  I try really hard not to look at US prices for anything.  Here in France I often pay so much more.  If you're sure of your size, you can always consider getting things shipped, but then you pay the shipping + whatever customs charges you might incur.  For me, the shipping + customs often double the price......

Offline lifebyliya

• Under the Edge
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2014, 07:51:52 PM »
It is such a pain in the butt to find skates here in the Philippines. Yes to this day, they are still selling those Jackson Freestyles with the Aspire XP blades. I opted against buying here because as you said, they are pretty much double the price. Am ordering right now and having it delivered to my uncle in the US who is coming home this late April. That much said, what I usually do is fit what they have here and order that size online. I believe In2Skating doesn't allow skate fitting unless you're surely buying a pair (which is STUPID, I have to say), but Bigel's in St. Francis allows them.

Hope you just keep skating despite the difficulty of getting equipment over here in the country. Where do you skate? Megamall or MOA? :)

Offline figureskatehockeylove

• Under the Edge
  • I loveeeee figure skating!!!!!!<3:)
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2015, 12:39:30 PM »
My freestyles have blue insoles I think there nice!:) I believe they are called the aspire insole:)
~Nicole~