You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: The Coach who doesn't care....Frank Carroll  (Read 1474 times)

Offline PhysicsOnIce

• Wearing Blade Guards on the Ice
  • Total GOE: 292
The Coach who doesn't care....Frank Carroll
« on: February 23, 2014, 07:40:59 AM »
The Coach Who Doesn't Care: How One Man Turns Skaters Into Champions
http://deadspin.com/the-coach-who-doesnt-care-how-one-man-turns-skaters-i-1525870117

I just wanted to see what people thought of this mentallity? Personally I like a coach that is not going to baby me and is willing to push me pass my "limits".
Let your heart and soul guide your blades

Offline Neverdull44

• Making the Ice Cake
  • Total GOE: 120
Re: The Coach who doesn't care....Frank Carroll
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2014, 08:18:06 AM »
I agree with the article, but think that every coach needs to also "build up" their skater a little.  A coach is paid to tell the skater what he/she did wrong.  But, a little bit of praise during each lesson is needed.  Otherwise, without a reward one can get burnt out.

I had a "tough coach" when I was a kid.  His name was Bob (Polar Palace in Miami, Florida in the very late 1970's).  Wish I knew his last name.  Boy, was he cranky and picky.  After it closed, we went to Sunrise.  I was only 9 and he made me cry a lot.  My dad got onto him, as I was ready to switch coaches and quit.

I had a Russian coach in my 20's, in Alpharetta. Tatiana.  Wish I could remember her last name, but it was long.  She left to move to Florida.  She was super technical and got me to jump higher.   She couldn't coach her daughter, Anya or Anna.  She let another coach handle Anya.  Now, I understand.

I have a daughter, and I can't coach her.  I tried and it failed.  I realized that a parent can't be a coach.  Kids need unconditional love from a parent, and a coach can't give unconditional love.   A parent telling a child "You did that wrong" is devastating to the child.   There needs to be a "good cop/bad cop" (parent/coach) in the mix.  But even the bad cop has to give some sugar.  For, a spoonful of sugar makes the medicine go down.

Now, I have a "Wonder Woman" coach, Diane.  She is tuned into my body and every little thing I do wrong, and she knows what I need to do to fix it!   She thinks I psych myself out on jumps.  I don't know if that's the case, or that I am bigger then I was in my 20s and my body doesn't cooperate as well at 45.  So, we are getting through a jumping struggle of having it one day, and not having it the next.  I'll get it.  But, a lot of my inconstancies are due to the fact that I don't run through my program every day (or even skate every day).  Seems kids get sick, work mounts up, and unexpected guests come to town.  It is a luxury to be a young girl with no cares to dedicate oneself to skating.