You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: LA area rink recommendations?  (Read 3092 times)

Offline Meli

• AOSS Member
  • Total GOE: 25
LA area rink recommendations?
« on: October 09, 2013, 11:15:02 PM »
I'll be spending time in LA over the holidays, and will probably need an escape from the in-laws.  They're in the Valley (Encino/Sherman Oaks area), but I don't mind driving further for better ice.  Anyone have a favorite?

Offline dak_rbb

• Wobbling on new skates
  • Total GOE: 2
Re: LA area rink recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2013, 01:41:34 PM »
Pickwick is probably your easiest good option.  Valley Ice Center is also close and maybe not as busy. The closest rink would be Van Nuys, but it's small and dark.

Toyota Center in El Segundo is a really nice facility with lots of ice time (3 surfaces) and not far from where you are staying. Unfortunately the 405 freeway is undergoing construction and the traffic is usually bad going over the pass from the valley.  However, if it were me I would definitely go and skate there with the added bonus of watching whoever was training with Frank Carroll.  EastWest in Artesia is another good option for skating alongside or just watching high level and elite skaters.

There are many other rinks as well and they all have public and freestyle schedules on the web.  If you want more info, please feel free to PM me.  Have fun!

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2013, 01:52:50 PM »
From a fan girl perspective, there is also the new training center of Ilia Kulik & Katia Gordeeva in Lake Forest, CA!! Worth to visit once and schedule a lesson with one of them :)

...for skating alongside or just watching high level and elite skaters.
:love: :love:

Offline Meli

• AOSS Member
  • Total GOE: 25
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2013, 05:19:06 PM »
Thanks for the info!  Pickwick was definitely on my list of possibilities, but I may have to sneak over to Toyota Center for some inspiration.