You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Protecting Toe Nails  (Read 1878 times)

Offline iomoon

• Needs a Helmet
  • Total GOE: 6
Protecting Toe Nails
« on: September 17, 2013, 04:14:19 PM »
My toenails are busted up from skating. Do you have any tips for protecting them?  :sweat

Mod note: thread moved

Offline moment of inertia

• Rink Rat
  • Total GOE: 0
Re: Protecting Toe Nails
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2013, 06:08:18 PM »
I think the two most important things are that your skates need to fit properly and that you need to keep your toenails trimmed. The only time I've had problems with my toenails (and I am prone to toe and nail problems) is when my nails grew too long and rubbed against the front of the boot. Otherwise, in a well-fitting boot, your toenails should not be getting banged up. That seems like a red flag that your boots do not fit you properly.

Offline Meli

• AOSS Member
  • Total GOE: 25
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2013, 11:53:30 PM »
I second the trimming.  I can always tell when my nails are too long (right now, actually!)  I generally keep mine polished, with a decent topcoat because I have a tendency to rub the surface of the nails of my big toes against the boot and get some deep scuffs in the nail.  I've found that my topcoat holds up better than the nail and my polish doesn't wear off any faster than one would normally expect.

As a side note, I have a coworker that has a sign that says "toenails are for sissies"... she runs marathons and missing a few toenails is normal for her.  Personally, I prefer mine intact.

Offline iomoon

• Needs a Helmet
  • Total GOE: 6
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2013, 02:44:10 AM »
I second the trimming.  I can always tell when my nails are too long (right now, actually!)  I generally keep mine polished, with a decent topcoat because I have a tendency to rub the surface of the nails of my big toes against the boot and get some deep scuffs in the nail.  I've found that my topcoat holds up better than the nail and my polish doesn't wear off any faster than one would normally expect.

As a side note, I have a coworker that has a sign that says "toenails are for sissies"... she runs marathons and missing a few toenails is normal for her.  Personally, I prefer mine intact.

lol!

They might have been busted up from my old skates and haven't grown fully out. Those definitely didn't fit well.

I should try the topcoat thing. Thanks!

Offline Query

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2013, 12:08:28 PM »
Well equipped boot fitters have a "boot press" that can stretch the boot right next to and/or in front of your toe. If no skate shop near you has one, maybe a ski shop has one.