You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: When to replace skate laces?  (Read 3755 times)

Offline sampaguita

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 44
When to replace skate laces?
« on: August 19, 2013, 03:02:45 AM »
I (have come to) love my current laces, but they're becoming frayed at some parts (near the hooks). I'm worried that they might just break. Do laces just snap? Any warning signs? Laces here are quite expensive (supply and demand?), so I'd really want to get maximum mileage out of my laces without compromising safety. So far, the laces don't feel like I need to re-tie every so often...

Offline JSM

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 39
Re: When to replace skate laces?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2013, 07:57:26 AM »
Good question!  I don't think I've ever had a pair break on me.  I typically replace them a few times a year, before a big competition, test, or when I feel like I can't get my skates tight enough.  I use nylon laces and they do feel stretched out over time.

I'm interested to hear how often others replace their laces!

Offline davincisop

• Total GOE: 162
  • 2017 Goal: Pass Bronze Dances
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2013, 08:30:43 AM »
The only time I've really seen anyone replace laces is when they're going to compete or test. But even that has been rare.

I did have a friend whose lace came loose during a synchro performance (thankfully it was a small performance) and she ended up cutting it with her blade while she was out there without realizing. And another friend who cut theirs while they were in a jump.

Might not hurt to get a spare pair and just have it on hand in case it does break. But I think like with shoes, it's just normal wear and tear.

Offline Query

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2013, 07:00:30 PM »
Laces here are quite expensive

Maybe you could get together with a few friends and order a bunch online. E.g., $4.00 from rainbowsports.com, $3.00 from www.cozzisports.com, and lots of other sources. Not expensive enough to worry about, and like others implied, well worth keeping an extra pair in your skate bag.

I may take extra care so I can keep my boots almost forever, but I just don't feel it worth my time to be extra careful of laces. Then again, I normally use cotton laces which last for many years. (Maybe they'd last less long if I could do real jumps.) But if you use nylon or (I think) polyester, and a lace frays at the end, you can make a new end by slightly melting it with a match (be ready to put it out if it catches fire), and rolling it thin. Don't use your bare fingers, or you might burn yourself.

I've been meaning to experiment with nylon parachute cord, from a camping goods or climbing equipment store - I'll buy a thin enough type to fit my lace holes - because it is easy to find very colorful cord! I like the idea of bright red or orange against black boots.

But parachute cord is round, and very slippery, so you have to know how to tie laces tight, and not let them slip as you pull from hole to hole (A lace puller may help if your hands feel clumsy, or hold a finger over the prior hole while tyeing the next level, or while you tie the bow. Try tyeing the bow as a double slipped granny knot, which it is. I.E., after tyeing the first wrap-around [overhand knot - or better yet, a surgeon's knot, with two wraps], tie another wrap-around with looped ends, holding everything tight.

Slippery cord introduces an extra element of difficulty to tight laces, so some of you shouldn't try. Real laces are fine, if boring.

Offline davincisop

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2013, 10:06:32 PM »
Query, big-laces.co.uk sells colored laces specifically for ice skates. :) lots of color options, too. It's where I got my purple laces.

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2013, 12:15:13 AM »
I've never "worn out" laces... I usually replace them when they get sliced in an inconvenient place and I can't just tie the ends together (like higher up the instep where you need to loosen the laces more to get the boots on/off, a knot is a problem)  99% of the time when I slice a lace it's right at the toe and I just tie it.

Offline SynchKat

• Salchow-a-Bunga!
  • Total GOE: 85
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2013, 12:18:52 AM »
Laces break.  Then you just tie them together and hope to make them last a little longer...at least that is what I do.  :)  They always just snap when you least expect it and are giving them a good yank.

Offline Query

• Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2013, 12:22:57 PM »
big-laces.co.uk sells colored laces specifically for ice skates.

Perhaps you mean biglaces.co.uk, which remaps to www.biglaces.com ?

It never occurred to me that a retail business could specialize that much.

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Total GOE: 189
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2013, 12:24:06 PM »
I usually replace laces before the first competition of the season.  They're usually ratty-looking and dirty by then, plus there's peace of mind knowing the laces won't break at the worst-possible time.  When my laces look really filthy or worn, I change them. 

I don't like nylon laces, so I usually swap those out for cotton/poly when I have new skates.

I would order multiple pairs in the correct size if price was an issue, or share the order with others to save on the shipping costs if money were an issue.  To me, $5 (max) for a pair of laces is pricey, but not exorbitant.  YMMV
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline davincisop

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2013, 03:27:54 PM »
Yes, Query. That site.

Offline sampaguita

• Total GOE: 44
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2013, 11:19:09 PM »
I would order multiple pairs in the correct size if price was an issue, or share the order with others to save on the shipping costs if money were an issue.  To me, $5 (max) for a pair of laces is pricey, but not exorbitant.  YMMV

Locally, they're priced at $12. In hindsight, I should have bought more laces from abroad when I had the chance. (I only have 1 spare pair.)