You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: scary discovery  (Read 3870 times)

Offline treesprite

• Defrosting Da Toes
  • Total GOE: 5
  • Returning from a past skating life.
    • Ice Skate Forum
scary discovery
« on: July 31, 2013, 03:40:01 AM »
My skating has seemed to get progressively worse lately, like klutzy and unstable. I was starting to get afraid to do anything (past broken bones...). I thought it was from lack of practice (summertime = lack of ice time), but last summer, while even worse for ice time, I didn't get worse, I just didn't improve at all. But lately even with simple waltz jumps, my take offs have sometimes skidded and my landings have been really messy, so I haven't even tried to do any others. I was having an especially hard time with spins too and couldn't figure out why. I was starting to get afraid to skate, worrying about getting hurt and thinking there was something wrong with me. 

Well, yesterday I discovered why I have been having this problem. I had gotten off the ice frustrated, took off my skates and was looking at my blades and  thinking I needed to get the permanent screws put in them, but am still not sure I like the placement. I heard a click - the right blade was a little loose, and I thought to myself, that's why I was having trouble with waltz jump take offs and spins (I'm a CW skater). Then I checked the other blade, the landing one, which I discovered was so loose it moved just by me tilting the skate - I'm surprised I didn't break my neck landing on it! 

I got a screw driver and tightened the screws - skating improved instantly. The bad thing now is that even though I'm still not sure of the placement, I am going to have to get the permanent screws put in because once screws are loose they are more likely to get loose again soon.  But at least now I know I don't have to blame the skating regression all on myself - that's a big relief.

Offline HannahLouise

• Beware the Bars of Death!
  • Total GOE: 1
Re: scary discovery
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2013, 05:01:08 AM »
I had the same problem! I'm a CW skater too (*high five*) and my take off boots blade seems ok compared to my landing blade! At least you've found out whats wrong now. The problem is easily fixed with the new screws but take it to your pro shop or coach! Otherwise you may aline it wrong and that's a big problem!

Happy skating :)

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2013, 07:34:21 AM »
I don't want to be mean here, but discovering a loose blade is not a 'scary discovery'.

Finding out you have an incurable illness is scary.

What you found is that you neglect your equipment. Honestly, the responsibility for maintaining your equipment falls on yourself. Every skater should keep a screwdriver handy and check the screws regularly. 

When you look in the mirror, that's the person you have to blame for this.

Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline davincisop

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 162
  • 2017 Goal: Pass Bronze Dances
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2013, 07:51:56 AM »
I've always heard that you should never jump on a temporary mount because it can move the blade. That's why you check and make sure it feels right and aligned and then get the permanent screws put in shortly after. My blade guy does it all right there and does adjustments while my skates are on the ice. He has me do simple one foot glides to check the alignment and little spins to make sure the rocker is in the right spot. But never jumps.

How long have you had a temporary mount? I'm with Agnes here that this is simply equipment neglect. Yes you are incredibly lucky that your loose blades did not cause you to get injured. But you should have not been jumping on them. It's called a temporary mount and permanent screws for a reason.

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2013, 08:00:32 AM »
I've always heard that you should never jump on a temporary mount because it can move the blade. That's why you check and make sure it feels right and aligned and then get the permanent screws put in shortly after.

My skate tech encourages jumps on the temp mount so you can check your landing edge.  But things like waltz jumps and single salchows and toe loops. Nothing more.  The advanced skaters get their screws put in right away so they can move on.  I didn't get my permanent screws put in for 4 months (when I needed another sharpening- yay long lasting blade edges with harder steel) because nothing I do is above the 'don't do this on temporary mount' level.  I had no problems at all, and my blades didn't shift at all in that time.

Offline HannahLouise

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2013, 09:17:57 AM »
Mine weren't temporary screws, but for some reason (being extra cautious I put an extra set in as I'd rather buy a whole new boot then fall and break an ankle) mine came loose really quickly. Do you think this could have been they were done up too tightly at the shop that it ruined the area it was being screwed into? As they really weren't loose when I got them back for the first time but came first within the first week. But anyway, that was an old pair of boots when I just started skating anyway. Learnt from my mistakes.

I understand what AgnesNitt and Davincisop are saying, you should check your skates after every time you skate to check for loose screws. However, that's a fault on your tech skate, landing jumps on a wobbly blade isn't safe at all.

Offline nicklaszlo

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 221
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2013, 09:28:48 PM »
I don't want to be mean here, but discovering a loose blade is not a 'scary discovery'.

Finding out you have an incurable illness is scary.

What you found is that you neglect your equipment. Honestly, the responsibility for maintaining your equipment falls on yourself. Every skater should keep a screwdriver handy and check the screws regularly. 

When you look in the mirror, that's the person you have to blame for this.

That post was unnecessarily harsh.  Something that happens too often on this board.

Checking your screws regularly will not prevent them from getting loose.

Offline AgnesNitt

• Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2013, 09:40:55 PM »
That post was unnecessarily harsh.  Something that happens too often on this board.

Checking your screws regularly will not prevent them from getting loose.

Here's an analogy.

Checking the air regularly in your car tires won't keep it from leaking. What it does is warn you if there's a problem with your car and that you need to attend to it before the tires go flat.

Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline treesprite

• Defrosting Da Toes
  • Total GOE: 5
  • Returning from a past skating life.
    • Ice Skate Forum
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2013, 09:29:12 PM »
As I said, I still wasn't sure I liked the placement, so I didn't have the permanent screws in yet (the right blade has been moved 3 times, and completely re-holed once). People are suggesting that I only have one or two of the permanents put in, so I would like to know what others think? I'm more leaning towards just putting them all in and completely re-holing again if I end up having to do it.

If I neglected my skates, the blades would be all rusty.  I'm  not in the habit of yanking them around by the blades because I don't want to loosen the screws....! 

I tend to believe that the people in the world who make the most harsh and obnoxious  comments to others are actually trying to tell themselves things but projecting it outward. People who do it are the most likely to be bad neighbors, bad co-workers, bad parents, and sore losers.

First of all, if you don't want to be mean, why do you try to do it?
Second of all, so are you telling me how to feel? It must be hard to live with faulty mind reading skills. Have you not ever broken bones had metal plates and surgeries due to a skating accident, had an extreme phobia to get over because of it? I had to quit skating for several years because I was having flashbacks and leaving the rink in tears all the time. People are amazed that I even went back to skating, so don't be telling me what is scary and what isn't!

Offline sampaguita

• Total GOE: 44
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2013, 10:08:16 PM »
Hi treesprite! In my case, I had my permanent screws on as soon as I knew that the alignment was correct -- basically I just skated and skated, with minimal jumping and no spinning at all. The tech recommended that only half the permanent screws be put in, so I could change the blade if I wanted to without the need to plug the holes again. The screws were also put on both the right and left sides. So, if there's a screw on the left side, there won't be one on the right; below that, the screw will be on the right side. This is to ensure that both sides of the blade (left and right) are attached to the sole properly. Do NOT have the permanent screws on one side only -- that's only going to cause trouble.

On another note...I believe that we can't tell others what is scary and what is not. We all have different experiences. :)

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2013, 10:30:38 PM »
When I skate on temporary mounts I tighten the screws almost every time I skate (I find as the sole "settles in" at first they all get a little loose from session to session), otherwise checking the screws is more of a several times a month thing (I would say weekly but there are some weeks I don't skate much other than teaching LTS, so that's not a fair assessment).  If has taken this long to determine your blade position IMO something is seriously wrong.  It should take at most a few sessions to dial the blade alignment in... not 6 months.

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Total GOE: 188
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2013, 11:06:05 PM »
Given the fact that Agnes is both a cancer survivor and a broken-ankle returnee to skating, I'd say she's speaking from experience.  Common sense says that its easier to fix a loose blade yourself with a screwdriver than undergo surgery for a killer disease, one that's claimed several skatingforums members over the years.

It is important to do regular checks of equipment, especially if you are fearful.  Good equipment makes you skate better.  If a blade does come loose, it takes a second to repair before it gets worse.  Stitch in time and all that...

I am not afraid of loose blades and I'm the Queen of Bad Skates, lol.  I once lost a blade during a competition warmup and had to be helped to the exit door, lol.  Your biggest fear is fear itself if it paralyzes you.

So check your blade screws and stop kvetching about others being screwy!
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline irenar5

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 61
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2013, 12:25:19 AM »
My skate tech recommended 6 weeks or so on the temp. mount.  He also said no jumping, but I did anyway... I checked them occasionally in the beginning but stopped after seeing that everything was soild.
 It took me a couple of months to get the mount, but I ended up moving the blade later, after the permanent mount was done.  Incidentally, after moving it back and forth in a quite extreme way, I ended up having it in the same position as originally placed.  At least I was convinced that it was ME as opposed to the blade position.  Another lesson I learned- do not base a blade position on twizzles...

I think your experience is a good reminder to all of us to check the blades periodically regardless.

As for the other stuff- I think anyone in your position would be scared.  I can't imagine discovering a loose blade and not being scared (after counting my lucky stars :- )   

Offline sampaguita

« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2013, 01:27:55 AM »
I am not afraid of loose blades and I'm the Queen of Bad Skates, lol.  I once lost a blade during a competition warmup and had to be helped to the exit door, lol. 

Oh my...did you lose the blade during a jump or something? What happened to the actual competition?

Offline HannahLouise

« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2013, 04:52:09 AM »
Hi treesprite! In my case, I had my permanent screws on as soon as I knew that the alignment was correct -- basically I just skated and skated, with minimal jumping and no spinning at all. The tech recommended that only half the permanent screws be put in, so I could change the blade if I wanted to without the need to plug the holes again. The screws were also put on both the right and left sides. So, if there's a screw on the left side, there won't be one on the right; below that, the screw will be on the right side. This is to ensure that both sides of the blade (left and right) are attached to the sole properly. Do NOT have the permanent screws on one side only -- that's only going to cause trouble.

On another note...I believe that we can't tell others what is scary and what is not. We all have different experiences. :)

My tech just left me with two screws in the place above the rocker and toe pick, and two at the back... Should I be worried?? I haven't tried jumping in my new skates yet and I've only done a couple of laps as I'm unsure of them at the moment. I was going to wait until I see my coach but that's not for another week now as we've had to rearrange... Shall I get a few more put in to be on the safe side? And can I (well,my dad, if I did it I'd end up doing it wrong some how) do it myself screwing a few more in or shall I take them back to the tech shop/ coach?

Thank you :)

Offline sampaguita

« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2013, 08:38:35 AM »
My tech just left me with two screws in the place above the rocker and toe pick, and two at the back... Should I be worried?? I haven't tried jumping in my new skates yet and I've only done a couple of laps as I'm unsure of them at the moment. I was going to wait until I see my coach but that's not for another week now as we've had to rearrange... Shall I get a few more put in to be on the safe side? And can I (well,my dad, if I did it I'd end up doing it wrong some how) do it myself screwing a few more in or shall I take them back to the tech shop/ coach?

Thank you :)

Hi Hannah, if that's two screws above the rocker and toe pick, and two at the back, that's a temporary mount. Skate on it for a while, don't do a lot of jumps. Basically just check your edges. Your coach can help you with that. Once you're sure that the alignment is okay, you can ask the pro to put the permanent mount. If the alignment is not okay, the blade might need some adjustment, or you may have to put some orthotics.

Offline icedancer

• Custom Skates
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2013, 04:24:13 PM »
I have skated for YEARS on a temporary mounting!!  I don't jump but really it is not that big a deal.

finally my sharpener said - "how do you like this mount? Do you want me to do a permanent mount?  I said I never liked it, never will like it and sure, go ahead and permanently mount the blade.

I am also the queen of not paying attention to my equipment though - (and yes I do take good care of it) -