You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Figure Skating Superstitions  (Read 3574 times)

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
Figure Skating Superstitions
« on: June 05, 2013, 02:21:56 PM »
I was looking at theatrical superstitions--and there are a bunch--and I got to wondering if there are any for Figure Skating. I'm not talking about personal superstitions, but those that may belong to a rink or a show or just skating in general.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline alejeather

• Ice Tourist
  • Total GOE: 23
Re: Figure Skating Superstitions
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2013, 02:42:41 PM »
Well, I think in general, similar to stage, where a bad dress rehearsal is said to mean it will be a good show, a bad warm-up is sometimes thought of as a good thing. As is having a week where everything falls apart before the competition. I don't know of any others.
"Any day now" turned out to be November 14, 2014.

Offline davincisop

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 162
  • 2017 Goal: Pass Bronze Dances
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2013, 02:48:53 PM »
I'd agree with Alejeather. I fell and hit my knee pretty hard just before my comp two years ago and I ended up placing first lol.

I don't think break a leg translates to skating. Everyone I know always says good luck.

I want to know of any you guys find though! :)

Offline slcbelle

• Blade Runner
  • Total GOE: 224
  • Yes, I'm obsessed.
    • YouTube Videos
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2013, 02:54:14 PM »
Being superstitious...I don't want to know!   :o
Adult Silver FS, Intermediate MITF
Videos:  http://www.youtube.com/itslex71
Bronze Level Test Judge - Singles/Pairs
Non-Qual Competition Judge

Offline sarahonice

• Mohawk of Doom
  • Total GOE: 6
    • Sarah on Ice: my skating blog
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2013, 03:43:35 PM »
Oh god, I don't want to know either! I don't know about popular figure skating superstitions, but whenever I catch myself falling into a personal one I deliberately try to counter it. For instance I noticed that whenever I had a bad fall I was wearing my glove with the tag on the right hand, which got me paranoid about always wearing the tag on the left instead. So I cut off the tag so I wouldn't know. I've read about skaters always putting on the left (or right) skate first, and have since made sure to do it both ways!
My blog about learning to skate: http://sarahonice.wordpress.com

Offline Icicle

• Pairs Partner
  • Total GOE: 7
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2013, 05:17:12 PM »
Oh god, I don't want to know either! I don't know about popular figure skating superstitions, but whenever I catch myself falling into a personal one I deliberately try to counter it. For instance I noticed that whenever I had a bad fall I was wearing my glove with the tag on the right hand, which got me paranoid about always wearing the tag on the left instead. So I cut off the tag so I wouldn't know. I've read about skaters always putting on the left (or right) skate first, and have since made sure to do it both ways!

I always put on my left skate first. I don't know why, it just feels right. I'm not sure it's a superstition though.

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
  • Total GOE: 49
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2013, 01:20:52 PM »
If you're wanting to avoid a fall at competition, it's best to sit on the ice during practice, gets it out of the system.
I favour lunges for this and make sure I get a knee on the ice. Although my coach used to make her whole synchro team sit down before getting off at official practice.

Offline alejeather

• Ice Tourist
  • Total GOE: 23
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2013, 01:26:16 PM »
Oh, I also saw someone once drag one foot behind her while taking the ice at a competition. I thought it was a bad T-stop, but then she bent down, and picked up the snow in her hand. I think she tossed it in the air, but maybe she just let it melt in her hand. I can't remember. Anyway, my coach recognized it as a good luck thing, but I've never seen anyone else do it.
"Any day now" turned out to be November 14, 2014.

Offline karne

• On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 11
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2013, 08:23:39 AM »
Allegedly green is a bogey colour at Championship events.
"Three months in figure skating is nothing. Three months is like 5 minutes in a day. 5 minutes in 24 hours - that's how long you've been working on this. And that's not long at all. You are 1000% better than you were 5 minutes ago." -- My coach

ISA Preliminary! Passed 13/12/14!

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2013, 08:27:47 AM »
I was listening to MAnleywoman Skatecast for Carol Heiss Jenkins, and apparently all the top coaches have a superstition about where they stand at the boards when they watch their skaters compete (or practice at a comp). If the skater does well they stay in that position at the boards, if the skater does poorly they have to move .
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline karne

• On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 11
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2013, 08:30:12 AM »
I was listening to MAnleywoman Skatecast for Carol Heiss Jenkins, and apparently all the top coaches have a superstition about where they stand at the boards when they watch their skaters compete (or practice at a comp). If the skater does well they stay in that position at the boards, if the skater does poorly they have to move .

Now, who was I reading about where the coach/support person was standing in their special place, and a photographer stood in front of them, and neither would move, so the coach/support person didn't actually see the performance...? One of the men, I think, but I'll be jiggered if I can remember who or where.
"Three months in figure skating is nothing. Three months is like 5 minutes in a day. 5 minutes in 24 hours - that's how long you've been working on this. And that's not long at all. You are 1000% better than you were 5 minutes ago." -- My coach

ISA Preliminary! Passed 13/12/14!