You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Is this normal? Skate question  (Read 4330 times)

Offline vahornet

• Designated Spinner
  • Total GOE: 8
Is this normal? Skate question
« on: March 08, 2013, 11:49:21 AM »
I've had these skates for just under two weeks (first pair ever!).  They are Riedell 229's; after each practice session I wipe them dry with an old washcloth and then put the soakers on. I always let them airdry when I get home (never store them in the bag).  I've noticed that the inside edges of both boots are really banged up and the top layer (whatever it is) almost looks like it's peeling. Is this normal? Indicative of poor skating form? Or a defective boot? 

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
Re: Is this normal? Skate question
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2013, 11:50:34 AM »
Do you do lunges?  That's what my drag marks look like. Some people put the side of their boot flat down so they get scuffs on the white part.

Offline vahornet

• Designated Spinner
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2013, 11:56:25 AM »
So odd! I maybe have just done them once in two weeks, and I can only do it well on one foot, so I tend not to practice the other foot (I know, tisk tisk...) so it would just be strange to see it on both boots

Offline hopskipjump

• BladeLock
  • Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 59
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2013, 11:57:24 AM »
That is how my daughter's skates look.  When they get sharpened, the skate tech adds snoseal to those exposed areas on the sole.

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 188
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2013, 12:00:26 PM »
I've had these skates for just under two weeks (first pair ever!).  They are Riedell 229's; after each practice session I wipe them dry with an old washcloth and then put the soakers on. I always let them airdry when I get home (never store them in the bag).  I've noticed that the inside edges of both boots are really banged up and the top layer (whatever it is) almost looks like it's peeling. Is this normal? Indicative of poor skating form? Or a defective boot?

The all-leather 229's have a wierd habit of breaking down at the ball of the foot, so be alert for that.  I also think they're sized a little wider than the other Riedells in the TS line, but I could be wrong.  I have a few skaters who've worn the 229's, and they never had a wear issue like the one shown in the photo.  I don't think it's a skate defect, I think it's your skating technique.

It looks like you're dragging the boot on the ice and scuffing it up.  As Skittle said, lunges wear down the inside edge of the sole, creating a new angle.  But the wear on your sole looks like you drag the blade, so if you are doing lunges, you need to bend the knee more before you plop the back foot on the ice.  Think of putting the inside ankle on the ice, not the blade and edge of the skate.  Before you try to get back up, shift your weight forward and lift your back leg, as if you were planning to do a spiral.  That'll help you get the foot off the ice easier and stop the blade drag after the lunge that so many beginners perform.  I think that's probably why most people's skates take a beating in that spot.

It could also be that you don't have the control to extend the free leg behind, so every time you push, it hits the ice.  That's easily solved - push then extend your free leg, then bring your feet back together before the next push so you aren't off-balance and don't lurch forward by wide-stepping.

You need to waterproof those worn spots soon to prevent boot rot.  You can touch up the white upper with paint marker and then use neutral shoe polish to protect.  Applying skate tape will protect the upper even better.

For more info, check out the equipment maintenance topic: http://skatingforums.com/index.php?topic=1429.0

The skatingforums calendar has a maintenance reminder every month, usually on the 8th. 
(8, get it?)
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline vahornet

• Designated Spinner
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2013, 12:20:58 PM »
You need to waterproof those worn spots soon to prevent boot rot.  You can touch up the white upper with paint marker and then use neutral shoe polish to protect.  Applying skate tape will protect the upper even better.

Just called the skate shop I bought them from about potentially picking up Sno-Seal or something to do this and they said the 229's are pre-treated and that applying anything over the top could potentially break down the factory treatment.  Seems strange to me, can't find anything on Riedell's website about what they use or if it's okay to trat over the top

Offline hopskipjump

• BladeLock
  • Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 59
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2013, 12:21:58 PM »
Why don't you send that photo to Riedell?  Just ask if it's normal and if you should sno seal.

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2013, 12:34:28 PM »
Lunges and really deep edges can cause those.  I actually have one on the inside of my right boot just from spin entries - I know it's not from lunges because I don't "do" them (at all) on that side :)

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
  • Total GOE: 141
    • Ten Years of Figure Skating Discussions!
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2013, 12:40:54 PM »
What kind of edge are you doing on a spin entry that wears down your inside sole that deeply? 
Your backspin entry, maybe?  If so, make sure to keep your weight over the skating foot correctly.  If you're staying to the inside of the curve, you can't snap the entry as well.  It has to be deep, but not that deep.  (Unless you're pushing forward into the spin and letting the free foot slam into the ice behind you.  That's easily stopped by correcting the entry choctaw to push with feet close together.)

Just called the skate shop I bought them from about potentially picking up Sno-Seal or something to do this and they said the 229's are pre-treated and that applying anything over the top could potentially break down the factory treatment.  Seems strange to me, can't find anything on Riedell's website about what they use or if it's okay to trat over the top

I would have thought the same thing if I hadn't seen the photo.  You've worn off the factory treatment.

All leather-soles skates come with a light finish of polyurethane or lacquer.  That's why you can't sno-seal brand-new skates: the finish prevents the wax from soaking into the leather.

In your case, I can see the exposed raw leather in the photo.  The edge actually looks like it's swollen, which means water damage.

Don't call them back - take the skates in and ask them if it's a defect.  I think they'll tell you it's worn down from skating.
Since they're so new, they're still under warranty, so maybe they can do some factory service because exposed leather isn't a good thing.

BTW, the 229 TS boots are the equivalent of the 133 RS, but with a leather sole.  If you're a low-level skater, the 133's would have been fine.
-- Isk8NYC --
"I like to skate on the other side of the ice." - Comedian Steven Wright

Offline vahornet

• Designated Spinner
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2013, 12:48:30 PM »
I did shoot Riedell an email with the pic just to see what their take on proper care from here on out is and the whole 'pre-treatment' thing may be.  I'll try to pay a bit more attention to my extention and stroking at the rink tomorrow just to see if that may be compounding the problem.  I've only spent 13 hours on them so I feel like they shouldn't be damaged like that! I guess this is why I can't have nice things! Thanks for all the great thoughts everyone, I'm still trying to learn all the ins and outs of skating so I appreciate all the help  :D   

Offline vahornet

• Designated Spinner
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2013, 01:07:11 PM »
Quote from: Isk8NYC
BTW, the 229 TS boots are the equivalent of the 133 RS, but with a leather sole.  If you're a low-level skater, the 133's would have been fine.

I am floating around low freestyle levels (waltz and salchow jumps, one foot spins, spirals) but as of this week am doing two group lessons, two privates and a power edges class each week. Getting around 9-10 hrs of ice time each week. Hopefully I didn't pay too much more than I had to! :(

Offline Hanca

• Prerotation Society
  • Total GOE: 9
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2013, 05:21:07 PM »
I would probably put the sno seal on it, but otherwise I wouldn't worry about it. If you saw my boots! The bottom line is, you are going to be jumping in them and learning back spin and sit spin, so there will be a lot of marks soon. My left boot has long horizontal cut marks (quite a few of them), from me learning some variations on sit spins and kicking myself into the foot I was standing on. the left boot has quite a few dig marks at the toe area of the boot (learning back upright spin, left leg is crossed in front of the right spinning leg - it took me a while to manage to cross my leg and not get the free leg with toe pick pointing down and digging into my boot!)  Everyone makes different mistakes when learning a new elements, so your boot marks will probably be your own specific ones. But whoever will see your boots will see that you are working hard!

Offline sampaguita

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 44
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2013, 07:37:31 PM »
I have the same boot damage on my freestyle, most likely from lunges. I just sno-seal them, but better to confirm from Riedell if you can do this.

Offline vahornet

• Designated Spinner
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2013, 10:13:43 AM »
Update: spoke to Riedell who said that while you shouldn't have to use seal, it certainly wouldn't hurt the product. Went in to the shop and they said it was pretty normal, and gave me free Snoseal and a nice shamois to dry them better than what I was using.

Offline sampaguita

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 44
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2013, 10:23:13 AM »
Update: spoke to Riedell who said that while you shouldn't have to use seal, it certainly wouldn't hurt the product. Went in to the shop and they said it was pretty normal, and gave me free Snoseal and a nice shamois to dry them better than what I was using.

Great! :D

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
  • Total GOE: 141
    • Ten Years of Figure Skating Discussions!
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2013, 10:36:30 AM »
Excellent!  You've reminded me that my skates need waterproofing, too!
-- Isk8NYC --
"I like to skate on the other side of the ice." - Comedian Steven Wright

Offline Robin

• Diamond Blocking
  • Total GOE: 4
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2013, 08:34:06 PM »
The skates seem normal to me. Skates always get banged up. You should see top-level skaters' skates--they look like they've been dragged behind a pickup truck. And yes, as the coating wears off, just add Sno-Seal.