You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Starting ice skating as an adult  (Read 26328 times)

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
Re: Starting ice skating as an adult
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2013, 08:11:28 AM »
I had a coach who flat out told me she'd never seen a student who started skating after 30 get an axel.

This doesn't surprise me.  Most coaches have limited experience with adults.  Has this coach been to adult nationals before? (And asked the age everyone started at?)

I would bet most after 30 starters don't get axels because they don't work for them the way kids do.  There are some adults who are very very serious skaters, but it is rare to see an adult at the rink 4 hours a day 5 days a week.  That is what I see the kids there...  And these aren't elites.  I think an athletic adult who dedicated the time to it could definetly do it.  An axel is not impossible, just very hard.

Offline rachelplotkin

• Prerotation Society
  • Total GOE: 7
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2013, 09:23:09 AM »
Today is my one year anniversary of skating.  I am 56.  It doesn't seem reasonable to me to worry about how far I will ultimately progress.  What is important is whether I enjoy it and am I progressing.  For me the answer to both is yes. As long as the answer stays the same I will continue for however far that takes me.  Having a great coach who works almost exclusively with adults has made this journey a rewarding one. 

Offline adragast

• Rink Rat
  • Total GOE: 0
    • My experience on ice
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2013, 10:52:45 AM »
Thanks a lot for your answers it definitively gives me a better pictures about what I can expect and what I should aim. Happy anniversary to rachelplotkin, wish you the best ice skating experience!
New skater starting late, follow my progress here: http://www.squidoo.com/my-experience-on-ice

Offline rosereedy

• Defrosting Da Toes
  • Total GOE: 6
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2013, 02:47:04 PM »
It just makes me so happy to see adults skate.  I don't care if they are working on cross overs or doing triples.  Just seeing someone over the age of 21 out there just makes me really happy.

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2013, 03:07:09 PM »
There is an adult skater on youtube who did skate as a kid, then took a very long break to focus on dance (14 years?), but she has learned her double axel and is working on triples as an adult in her 30's.  Obviously the dance background is a huge benefit, but it proves that it is still possible to achieve those skills as an adult having NOT had them as a child.

I know a skater who started skating in his late 20's and has an axel and some doubles, which he achieved within a couple of years on the ice.  There's a teen at my rink (I thought he was older) who has been skating less than a year and is working on his double axel now... but he is one of those kids who is "always at the rink" and has put in some serious ice time (and off-ice time) and is very focused and determined.  His progress has been astonishing, but he's one of those exceptions, not the rule.

I can say, having skated when I was younger and being one of those kids who put in 15+ hours a week, now at 32 I couldn't keep up with that schedule if I wanted to, my body just can't take it.  Currently I average 6-8 hours on the ice a week (not counting time spent teaching LTS) with two 30 minute lessons, and occasionally I may push my ice time closer to 10, but I really feel it when I do.  I really can't skate every day, I really need a day to rest in between hard sessions.  Some weeks I may only get in 4-5 hours in if I can't make one of my normal days for some reason.

I came back to skating as an adult after taking 10 years off - and all of it didn't really come back easily for me.  After having 3 kids my body is definitely different, and while some things came back quicker than others, I've continued to struggle with some things that I feel should have come back more easily, and they haven't - jumps in particular, but certain moves have taken more work to re-learn as an adult than they took to learn when I was younger (back 3 turns, brackets, etc).  I've had a lot of ups and downs and "why I am I doing this to myself" moments, but I've stuck with it and I've put a lot of work in to having better skating skills now than I did when I was younger, and after 3 years I'm FINALLY starting to see the results of that, but it hasn't been easy.

I had an axel (as well as my 2S and 2Lo) as a kid but I do NOT have them now.  I can do them in the harness (as well as 2T and 2F) but something keeps me from really "going for it" off - I don't honestly know if I will ever get the courage to really push myself enough to get that back.  I will need to do it if I decide to aim for Gold free, but that requires passing Gold moves first, so I have a while before I really need to worry about it :)

Offline Doubletoe

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 139
« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2013, 06:48:56 PM »
He're a perfect example.  This chicagoland skater started at 13, and in this video he demonstrates three triples:

I think he's just joined Holiday on Ice.  My impression is that he has achieved this with a limited budget.

He is truly talented!  And flexible for a guy!  Not sure the gender of the original poster, but I think it's worth pointing out that there is a big difference between a girl starting out at 13 and a guy starting out at the same age.  First of all, girls grow hips and a chest and second, they don't have that great infusion of testosterone the boys get, which makes them stronger.  Not that it's impossible, but I have never personally heard of a girl starting at 13 and mastering triple jumps.

Offline Icicle

• Pairs Partner
« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2013, 07:48:07 PM »
I had a coach who flat out told me she'd never seen a student who started skating after 30 get an axel.

I personally know one lady who stepped onto the ice at 35 for the first time in her life. She learned the axel and all doubles, though they weren't very consistent, and she often underrotated them. Unfortunately, she got injured a lot, which made her switch to dancing. There, too, she became very good and reached the gold level. Everybody thought she had skated as a child. Even her coach said it was amazing, but she did look as though she had skated as a child. But then she competed at adult nationals as a solo dancer and came in third. She got really upset because the two ladies who placed ahead of her had skated as children. She quit afterwards. It's a shame! The point is, that lady was very strong because she had been involved in a lot of sports as a child (track-and-field, swimming, for example). She also had two practices a day, and took lessons every day, and worked out every day. She didn't work then. I understand, she's more of an exception than a rule, but her whole skating career lasted no more than 5-6 years. So it's not impossible for an adult skater to land an axel, only it will take someone who is less talented more time, that's it.

Offline VAsk8r

• On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 18
« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2013, 10:07:01 PM »
If someone ever asks "Did you skate as a child?" That's high praise.

No. one. ever. asks. me. that.  :'(
I started a group class at a different rink tonight, and one of the other adults asked me this. I didn't take it as a compliment. I took it more like, "You look like you haven't skated in 15 years."  :D

Offline Icicle

• Pairs Partner
« Reply #33 on: March 08, 2013, 07:08:54 PM »
I started a group class at a different rink tonight, and one of the other adults asked me this. I didn't take it as a compliment. I took it more like, "You look like you haven't skated in 15 years."  :D

I understand. Some people asked me if I had skated as a child and were surprised when I told them I hadn't. But those people were so far from skating that I didn't take it as a compliment. Also once a few people approached me after a public session and said, "We've been watching you, thank you for the pleasure." I was unhappy because I had been struggling with my lutz the whole session and couldn't land it. So I though those people were just kidding, so I grumbled, "Yeah, right!" But then I saw that they were serious and got very embarrassed and said, "I mean, thank you!" i felt very, very uncomfortable.

Offline treesprite

• Defrosting Da Toes
  • Total GOE: 5
  • Returning from a past skating life.
    • Ice Skate Forum
« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2013, 05:26:34 AM »
I skated as a kid until in my 20s, was away for 17 years, came back to break my leg, was away for 2 years, came back for a year and found that I was too afraid to skate, waited not skating until I felt that I would not be terrified, which turned out to take 4 years, then came back about 16 months ago at age 50. I've had some challenges getting in my way of making progress, which has been very frustrating. But I really want to skate, and I am almost absolutely certain that if I practice enough, I will be able to get back working on low doubles.

One thing I have decided, is that since I'm as old as I am (about to turn 51), I can do whatever the heck I want with my skating and my only rule is that I have to have fun doing it. 

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #35 on: March 09, 2013, 01:07:54 PM »
I've found two levels of spectators. The "can you do a triple axel" ones and the "can you skate backwards" ones. Nothin impresses the first set, the second is sincere in their compliments.

Offline ChristyRN

• Salchow-a-Bunga!
  • Total GOE: 184
« Reply #36 on: March 09, 2013, 08:37:35 PM »

One thing I have decided, is that since I'm as old as I am (about to turn 51), I can do whatever the heck I want with my skating and my only rule is that I have to have fun doing it.

As I'm turning 50 next month, this is my rule too.  As an adult, I can refuse to do things I don't want to.  I tore up both knee caps learning bunny hops, so I don't do them any more. AT ALL!

And I'm with you with broken bones. An ankle and wrist.  I even asked the doc putting on the cast if I could continue to skate. None of my friends were surprised to hear that.

And I found that skating is the only form of exercise that I've enjoyed enough to (mostly) stick with for 10+ years.
Once in his life, every man is entitled to fall madly in love with one gorgeous redhead.  (Lucille Ball)

Offline ls99

• Zamboni Driver
  • Total GOE: 14
« Reply #37 on: March 11, 2013, 07:30:21 PM »

Absolutely agree. And I am 65.
There must be moderation in everything. Including moderation.

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #38 on: March 11, 2013, 10:54:06 PM »
I've found two levels of spectators. The "can you do a triple axel" ones and the "can you skate backwards" ones. Nothin impresses the first set, the second is sincere in their compliments.

I agree... and people are often easily impressed by what they cannot do (or will not try) themselves, and those compliments are ALWAYS genuine :)

Offline threenorns

• Mohawk of Doom
  • Total GOE: 1
« Reply #39 on: March 12, 2013, 12:09:43 AM »

that's what i tell saari - "the minute you are not having fun, that's when we call it a day".   i am trying so much to have fun but frankly, i am terrified every moment i'm out there, lol.  seriously, i don't know how to adjust to that greasy feeling of not having some nice, solid traction underfoot. 

however, i have a rule that i cannot make rules for my daughter that i won't honour myself, so i roll my 46yr old round carcass out onto the ice and i try to have fun and every session, i try something new. 

right now, i'm working on stopping.  skating backwards will have to wait until i can get a backup alarm - BEEP!!! BEEP!!! BEEP!!!!

Offline Robin

• Diamond Blocking
  • Total GOE: 4
« Reply #40 on: March 27, 2013, 01:07:11 AM »
A skater can develop beautiful form no matter when he or she starts. I think the key is to find an appropriate coach. As someone else suggested, some coaches just don't know how to teach adults. Keep in mind that a coaching relationship is like any relationship; you have to find someone that you click with and is willing to support you emotionally and not just bark out instructions and collect an hourly fee. Seek out accomplished adult skaters and find out who they work with. Also look for a coach whose students have beautiful form, not just amazing jumping talent. The coach should also be able to encourage you to keep pushing yourself and to get out of your comfort zone but at the same time recognize that you're not a fearless ten year old. Second, you have to be willing to dedicate yourself to a consistent and frequent skating schedule. Regular skating is so important to progress so you can develop muscle memory. If you're just starting out, skating twice a week will bring you much more progress than practicing only once a week. I think it's also important to look at skating as an exploration without worrying so much about being able to do an axel. The irony in that is that the axel will likely come faster if you don't view it as the holy grail of skating! It's merely a step in the exploration of skating. One other thing: find music you love and skate around to it at the rink. Just move to it like you're dancing. You will develop a lot of body awareness by doing your most basic practice movements to music you love. Ever notice that the most beautiful skaters feel the music? You'd think this would be obvious for all skaters, but it isn't. Lastly, my coach is convinced that every beginning skater is capable of doing world-class basics. Can't do an axel? Well, a beautiful soaring waltz jump is just as satisfying. Also, beautiful stroking and crossovers will make everything else more beautiful. Hope it helps and best of luck to you!

Offline Doubletoe

• Total GOE: 139
« Reply #41 on: March 28, 2013, 01:51:58 PM »

SO true!  One set compares you to the skaters they see on TV, while the other set compares you to themselves.  The best way to convert the "Can you do a triple axel?" people into "Can you skate backwards?" people is to take them onto the ice with you. . . ;)

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #42 on: March 28, 2013, 01:57:50 PM »
Well, a beautiful soaring waltz jump is just as satisfying.

As someone who skated as a child, I think you are missing some of the challenges adult start skaters face.  I started as a YOUNG adult, and a soaring waltz jump is well beyond my ability.  There will be some adult start skaters who have natural talent for jumps, but for many of us the "I left the ice!" jumps are what is satisfying.

Offline icedancer

• Custom Skates
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #43 on: March 28, 2013, 03:10:29 PM »
Lastly, my coach is convinced that every beginning skater is capable of doing world-class basics. Can't do an axel? Well, a beautiful soaring waltz jump is just as satisfying. Also, beautiful stroking and crossovers will make everything else more beautiful. Hope it helps and best of luck to you!

This is so true!  I have been skating since I was six (with a 20 year reprieve while I was busy being a teenager, going to college, getting my career started) and have never done an axel.

But my edges are great and I have great flow.  This is why I love skating!!

Offline Robin

• Diamond Blocking
  • Total GOE: 4
« Reply #44 on: March 29, 2013, 01:41:07 AM »
But the axel is just a jump! You can be a beautiful skater without one and a sloppy skater with one.

What she said. ^

Offline iomoon

• Needs a Helmet
« Reply #45 on: April 29, 2013, 03:08:21 AM »
 did Learn to Skate at age 22 in college, but started skating seriously at 27. Now I'm turning 29 in 3 months. Sometimes I get really delusional and want to do something outrageous.  :sweat However, my coach wants to do some off-ice axel training, so maybe I can do some simple doubles in the future.  :o I highly doubt I can out-skate the "up to double lutz" blades, though.  88)

Offline nicklaszlo

• Total GOE: 221
« Reply #46 on: April 29, 2013, 01:55:25 PM »
"the minute you are not having fun, that's when we call it a day"

Sometimes you have to work on the boring basics before you can do the fun stuff.  Sometimes the fun stuff will lead to painful falls.  Skaters need a broader horizon than a minute.

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
« Reply #47 on: April 29, 2013, 02:07:21 PM »
I'll flip it around and say "the minute I am SCARED, that's when we switch to something else".
That is, something that builds me safely to that particular skill or something else.

And no one will lift me on the ice without first getting it right off-ice first, in gym shoes and not in skates :P

Offline iomoon

• Needs a Helmet
« Reply #48 on: April 29, 2013, 05:35:10 PM »
I'll flip it around and say "the minute I am SCARED, that's when we switch to something else".
That is, something that builds me safely to that particular skill or something else.

And no one will lift me on the ice without first getting it right off-ice first, in gym shoes and not in skates :P

LOL... are you talking about the super dangerous pairs skating? Don't forget to wear a helmet and a padded suit!  ;D

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
« Reply #49 on: April 29, 2013, 09:13:59 PM »
LOL... are you talking about the super dangerous pairs skating? Don't forget to wear a helmet and a padded suit!  ;D

Pairs? Never.

I had to gather enough courage to do compulsory ice dance. For years I said I cannot "skate with people".