You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Off-ice Water Workouts  (Read 2136 times)

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 188
Off-ice Water Workouts
« on: February 09, 2013, 10:05:09 AM »
I spent some time in the pool last night and came up with a bunch of exercises that even non-swimmers can do in the pool as a form of off-ice training.

First, swimming laps is outstanding for building strength and flexibility.  I did about 10 laps in various strokes to warm up, including side stroke, which I've always liked for the hip workout.  (Since I forgot to bring a cap/goggles, it's also good for keeping your face above water, lol.)

Second, walking/jogging laps.  You can use a kickboard, water dumbbell or even a pool noodle to provide resistance.  Don't just work out in a forward direction - walk/jog backwards as well.  It's good for core and lower body.

Third, grapevines: http://www.livestrong.com/article/422259-aquarobics-exercises/  These are excellent for simulating the hip snap of a backspin, salchow, loop and the FI3-Mohawk end pattern for Moves.

I also did some pseudo-skating jumps in the water.  Our pool wasn't deep enough to use the steps to jump off, so I just did them from a standstill or a side-tap entry.  It was okay; I could pull in and jump up out of the water and I really had to fight for the checked landing position.  I'll try a more shallow/deeper area next time.
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline VAsk8r

• On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 18
Re: Off-ice Water Workouts
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2013, 10:40:36 AM »
I used to swim but finally concluded that the misery of it - largely a result of a pool that was kept at a temperature more appropriate for competitive swimmers - just wasn't worth whatever difference I saw in my skating.

But trying jumps in the water sounds like something fun I could do in the warmer kiddie pool  :). Last year our club had a pool party and the kids all did waltz jumps and axels off the side of the pool. I thought as long as the water was deep and you had plenty of room, it would be a fun way to work on jumps off-ice.

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 141
    • Ten Years of Figure Skating Discussions!
Re: Off-ice Water Workouts
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2013, 12:06:39 AM »
I went swimming tonight and after a few laps, turned to off-ice exercises.  Grapevines and fwd/bwd leaping was fun.

Splits, if you can hold your breath and press down, are so much easier in the water.  There isn't that awful feeling of too much pressure.

Did split jumps underwater.  Nice to have the time to get out of the split position - landings are one of the toughest things about that jump.  The pool has a handicap ramp that gradually gets deeper, so I found a good depth to work in.

Flips and loops are easier, axels are harder - staying upright for 1-1/2 revs is really difficult.
-- Isk8NYC --
"I like to skate on the other side of the ice." - Comedian Steven Wright