You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Wanted: Mens Figure Skating Boots - EXPIRED  (Read 2325 times)

Offline JimStanmore

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 384
Wanted: Mens Figure Skating Boots - EXPIRED
« on: September 25, 2010, 08:03:36 PM »
I am looking for Jackson 10.5 or Riedell 11 boots, Advanced, Intermediate or Instructional level.  Since my skating budget is minuscule ($75, or so), I doubt whether I will find replacement Freestyles, much less Competitors or Elites.  I might be able to work with Mystiques for a few months.  Riedells would be the Medallion series, if necessary, the Star series, if possible.  I am not extremely familiar with SP Teri, Harlick, Graf, Gam, et al.

Background:  
I have been using a pair of Jackson Freestyles for the last year that I really like.  Well, except for the fact that they are size 11.5 and I should be wearing a size 10.5 (long story.)  The problem wasn't apparent at first, but after a few months of 16 hrs/wk I started losing and control and getting blisters. I checked with a boot fitter and discovered the problem.  Heat molding and extra insoles helped for a while, but I can no longer progress with the current wobbliness.

Just got nice used Ultima Freestyle blades.  Single jumps: all except Lutz and Axel.  Spins: Iffy scratch and back wiped out temporarily by new blades, working on sit.

Post here or PM me if you have anything sitting around.  My feet will thank you!

Jim S.

Offline JimStanmore

• Administrator
Re: Wanted: Mens Figure Skating Boots - EXPIRED
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2010, 04:22:37 PM »
I found a pair of SP Pro Teri size 11 for $129.00 on ebay.  They have a 14 day return - if they don't fit, I will be looking again.

Thanks,
Jim S.

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2010, 04:30:56 PM »
Good luck, Jim!

Offline JimStanmore

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2010, 09:03:40 PM »
Thanks!  The new boots came in today.  Concrete blocks, tight heels, the whole bit.  Guess I really got used to my sloppy old boots...

Offline aussieskater

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 52
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2010, 09:22:00 PM »
Glad they arrived OK.  Do they fit (disregarding the whole "concrete block" thing!) ???

Offline JimStanmore

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2010, 10:05:36 PM »
aussieskater, I didn't mean to make that much of a comment here.  I am actually discussing them in the equipment thread, http://skatingforums.com/index.php?topic=443.0.  If I hadn't read about and been around so many skaters breaking in boots, I would say, "No, they don't fit."  Actually, I think they will be perfect with heat molding and ankle punching - no Jackson ankle pockets :(  

The good thing is that I will be able to "skate" again.  My old skates were getting so sloppy, especially after I put the high level blades on, that I really haven't enjoyed much of anything about being on the ice for the last couple of weeks.  The Ultima Freestyle blades turn so much better and smoother on such deeper edges and with more power than the Mark IVs, but the boots couldn't keep up and really started shifting and wobbling around.  Now I have botts to match the blades.

BTW, thanks for asking!

(Discussion is in the equipment thread, http://skatingforums.com/index.php?topic=443.0)