You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: How to secure Skatingsafe tailbone pads  (Read 4297 times)

Offline Janie

• Doing the Fiesta Tangle!
  • Total GOE: 45
    • Jumps and falls of an adult figure skater
How to secure Skatingsafe tailbone pads
« on: December 19, 2012, 09:17:09 PM »
I have the Skatingsafe Ultracrash hip pad and tailbone pad. The hip pad would gradually slide down the side of my thigh when I'm wearing skating pants, and also does, but more slowly, when I wear tights. So I recently bought a pair of really tight shorts (compression shorts? is that what they are?), and I'm happy to say that the hip pads now stay! No more awkward adjusting hiding by the boards.

However, the tailbone pad still slides down. The shorts are really tight already, I can't wear anything tighter. It's alright around my butt, but  a little too tight around my thighs. I think the problem is, no matter how tight the short/pant is, there is still space for the tailbone pad to slide down to, because (please excuse the bluntness) it's sliding down the butt crack... Any suggestions on how to keep it in place?

Also, which way around exactly is the tailbone pad supposed to go? I read the instructions, but I'm still confused as to whether the narrow but thick side is higher up or the wide but thin side is higher up.
My figure skating blog! http://janieskate.blogspot.com/

Offline platyhiker

• Synchro Stompin'
  • Total GOE: 11
Re: How to secure Skatingsafe tailbone pads
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2012, 09:34:36 PM »
One option to keep the in place is to sew a pocket for it onto your compression shorts.  If you want to try this, I suggest putting the shorts on, getting the pad into the ideal place and then using some straight pins to mark the sewing line just a little bit outside of the pad.  Having a friend place the pins would make it easier, but doing it by yourself with the help of a mirror should be manageable.  Then remove the shorts and sew on the pocket - I'd be incline to sew it on the inside of the shorts.  Caveat:  I do not own a tailbone pad and have not tried this; I do have a fair amount of sewing experience, though.

Offline sarahonice

• Mohawk of Doom
  • Total GOE: 6
    • Sarah on Ice: my skating blog
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2012, 11:38:44 PM »
I have done this, after running into the same problems as Janie. The gel pad is just so heavy that it inevitably slides, and either requires constant tugging upward or becomes useless.

I didn't even use pins (ow -  I foresee a lot of sticking myself with them) but just lined up the crash pad while wearing the boy shorts and noted how far it came up on the waistband and how much space was on each side. I sewed the pocket on the inside, and now I don't have to worry about it not being in the right place.
My blog about learning to skate: http://sarahonice.wordpress.com

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2012, 11:47:36 PM »
My tailbone pad barely ever slides because it's... um 2.5 times wider than the original size. It has nowhere to go, lol. The hip pads are "helped" to stay in place by velcro.

Offline taka

• Kid Magnet
  • Total GOE: 67
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2012, 12:56:03 AM »
I had to sew a pocket too. I had the opposite problem - it would ride up or somewhow end up completely horizontal every time! ??? :blush: I don't use it much as I never really got on with it...

Offline Janie

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2012, 03:32:41 PM »
Thanks for the replies!
Sewing sounds like a good idea... except my only sewing experience has been to sew on a button!

Sarah, what sort of material did you use to sew a pocket? Because the compression short itself is very stretchy material, I presume the pocket material needs to be stretchy too. Did you go buy a piece of stretchy fabric? And which way up does the tailbone pad go?

Taka, my tailbone pad hasn't gone completely horizontal yet, because I tug it up before then, but it has tried to slide to that general direction lol.

Offline taka

• Kid Magnet
  • Total GOE: 67
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2012, 07:16:54 PM »
Lol indeed! :P I tried the wider bit at the top but I'm not sure if that was right...

I used some lycra material sewn on by hand to a pair of stretchy boy shorts. I just stretched the material a bit as I sewed it since I didn't need it to stretch too much.

Offline sarahonice

• Mohawk of Doom
    • Sarah on Ice: my skating blog
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2012, 02:27:39 AM »
Keep in mind that my sewing experience is very limited at best! I would have used stretchy material had I had any on hand, but since I didn't want to buy new materials I used what I had, which was plain cotton (muslin?). The non-stretch pocket works fine with the stretchy short, though I'm sure it would be better if they were similar fabrics. Maybe you could cut up an old t-shirt?

I sewed by hand (very very poorly, but nobody's lookin') and it was tedious but not that difficult. If I had a sewing machine at the time it would've been much quicker.

I have no idea which side is up/right/around on those gel pads -- for the knee or hip ones either -- so I just figured: where do I want coverage when I fall? I'd want more protection near the top (spine area) than at the bottom, so I put the wider end at the top.
My blog about learning to skate: http://sarahonice.wordpress.com

Offline Janie

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2012, 04:05:29 AM »
I used some lycra material sewn on by hand to a pair of stretchy boy shorts. I just stretched the material a bit as I sewed it since I didn't need it to stretch too much.
I don't have lycra material though, I'd have to buy it especially. I think I'll just try what Sarah said about cutting up old clothes.

I have no idea which side is up/right/around on those gel pads -- for the knee or hip ones either -- so I just figured: where do I want coverage when I fall? I'd want more protection near the top (spine area) than at the bottom, so I put the wider end at the top.
Yes true, but at the same time, the wider end is thinner too! I think right now I have it the wide end at the top as well, just because it has more coverage.

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
  • Location: An arena, of course. More specifically, a Canadian arena.
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2013, 05:15:59 PM »
Wide end at the top.  Think of a thong ...  strip running down, triangle at the top ..  88) Snug fitting "granny panties" will hold them in place, if you put them on bare skin, dampness from sweating wil anchor them nicely - if that's icky, one of the benefits of the skating safe pades is that you can wipe them down to disinfect them.

Offline Janie

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2013, 05:50:09 PM »
Wide end at the top.  Think of a thong ...  strip running down, triangle at the top ..  88) Snug fitting "granny panties" will hold them in place, if you put them on bare skin, dampness from sweating wil anchor them nicely - if that's icky, one of the benefits of the skating safe pades is that you can wipe them down to disinfect them.
Thanks Sk8tmum!

Offline iomoon

• Needs a Helmet
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2013, 11:43:25 PM »
+1 to Sk8tmum's suggestion. I just stick the tailbone pad between the tights and underpants. Uh... a really round bum helps, too.  :sweat