You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: improving endurance for programs  (Read 3497 times)

Offline VAsk8r

• On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 18
improving endurance for programs
« on: December 20, 2012, 07:24:47 PM »
Last season, at the end of my 1:50 program, I was always out of breath. I did the tiniest little curtsy afterwards because I felt I might fall over on anything else. So this week I started sprinting at the gym and trying not to stop for two minutes. I'm also taking an off-ice class and working on off-ice jumps, but that's more focused on technique and flexibility.

What else can skaters do to improve endurance?

Offline davincisop

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 162
  • 2017 Goal: Pass Bronze Dances
Re: improving endurance for programs
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2012, 08:39:31 PM »
Run through your program and then do a lap around the ice.

Some skaters will run through their programs 2-3 times in a row to improve endurance.

Offline irenar5

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 61
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2012, 12:16:39 AM »
Double run throughs will do wonders!  In the beginning you can do double run throughs without the jumps, then include the jumps.  Triple run throughs will really get you in shape!  Skating a program is different than running because you also have the element of keeping on time with the music, which adds a psychological stressor in addition to the purely physical one.

Offline VAsk8r

• On the Edge
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2012, 10:06:32 AM »
Thanks for the tips about the double run-throughs! I should have been clearer...I'm primarily looking for things I can do off-ice. My rink will be closing for the summer at the end of March, and I'll have to drive an hour each way to skate, so my on-ice time is going to really take a hit just as competition season gets going.

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2012, 12:13:08 PM »
My coach makes me skate my program, run hockey lines, then skate my program again.  The second program is the one he counts as the 'real' run through.  It sucks, but works.

Offline moment of inertia

• Rink Rat
  • Total GOE: 0
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2012, 01:02:39 PM »
For off-ice training, you have the right idea in running, but I don't think sprinting is the best idea. Sprinting for 2 minutes is equivalent to practicing your program once and then stopping--you are training your body to give it all its got for 2 minutes and then to completely shut down. Just like doing double run-throughs, you want to run for much longer than two minutes so that your body doesn't give up at the 2 minute mark.

Offline Clarice

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 68
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2012, 01:07:32 PM »
I run, and do spin class.  My strength class also incorporates aerobic intervals once a week.  I do think my endurance has improved since I started these things, although it wasn't bad to begin with.

Offline rsk8d

• Homologating Quadrubles
  • Total GOE: 12
    • Sk8Strong
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2012, 06:53:43 PM »
Interval training on cardio equipment is the best off-ice option.  You want to mimic the highs and lows of your heart rate that you experience in a skating program.  For example,  on a spin bike, do a five minute warmup, then continue with intervals of 2 min standing/ 1 min sitting while also increasing the bike tension in the 2 min intervals.

You can also jump rope, or do intervals on a slideboard (which has the most carryover muscle-wise to skating)
Visit www.sk8strong.com for off-ice training information, DVDs and more

Offline SynchKat

• Salchow-a-Bunga!
  • Total GOE: 85
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2012, 11:04:50 PM »
I would second interval training.  I was doing exercise dvds (should start again) and they helped with my endurance.  I hear often from runners that I skate with it doesn't seem to transfer over to skating.  One girl was out of breath after a synchro run through and all she said was "I run marathons" then shook her head while trying to catch her breath.  :).

Offline VAsk8r

• On the Edge
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2013, 06:55:31 PM »
So I'm excited to report...

I spent the winter skating 4-5 days a week, going to the gym and running a mile once a week, and taking a weekly group off-ice class with one of the coaches at my rink. I tried to do the jumps and stretches we did in off-ice at home 4-5 times a week, even if only for a few minutes. When my rink closed a few weeks ago and I had to cut back to only skating twice a week, I started running a mile about three times a week, plus I continued the off-ice class and tried to do a little every day.

Last weekend, I ran my free skate program for the first time since September. My coach had added harder jumps, spins and footwork and I was dreading it. I thought I'd finish 15 seconds late and exhausted.

Instead...they were not good run-throughs, by any means. But I ran it three times and each time, I finished ON TIME and not miserably out of breath! I can take my time on the elements and not rush, and I don't feel like I'm going to die! Yay for doing something right for my endurance!

Of course, once my coach figures this out, she'll probably make my program harder.