You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: When was your first performance?  (Read 3515 times)

Offline Janie

• Doing the Fiesta Tangle!
  • Total GOE: 45
    • Jumps and falls of an adult figure skater
When was your first performance?
« on: December 01, 2012, 04:55:55 PM »
Adult sectionals this year is as close to me as it's going to get, and I kind of want to give it a try. But I've never done any sort of performance before yet, not recital, not FS test (I'll have my pre-bronze FS test next week, but as that's not a "program" I don't think it counts). Plus I don't know how competitive adult sectional pre-bronze is, I can definitely do pre-bronze elements, but do skaters actually skate better than their level? Like how pre-pre girls are probably doing axels in competition. I'm not trying to over-achieve and think I'm going to get gold, but I don't want to go in knowing I'm definitely last because I'm so much lower-level than everyone. Plus it would be my first performance and that's scary.

I know it would be best if I can do a recital before I do the competition, but our rink's next recital is either the exact same weekend or just the week before.

So anyway, my question is, when was your first performance? At a recital? At a bronze-level-or-above FS test? At an actual competition?
What level were you at at that point?
My figure skating blog! http://janieskate.blogspot.com/

Offline rachelplotkin

• Prerotation Society
  • Total GOE: 7
Re: When was your first performance?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2012, 05:12:27 PM »
Getting ready to be in my first performance(s) next weekend.  As a new adult skater I've not done anything performance/test wise on the ice before.  My coach is excellent and encouraged me to do this show.  The bonus for me is he choreographs the adult number and I feel comfortable that what is being asked of me is doable.  I guess time will tell!

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2012, 05:52:12 PM »
This was my first time skating solo :)  Rink sponsored exhibition, preparing for ice show audition. ISI FS4 (loop, flip, sit spin). I did not start USFS testing until a year later. Still do not compete so can't help with the competition questions. Best of luck, you will do great!!

The costume in the video came from spring show that year. Looking at the program I thought it was fairly empty with too many crossovers and zero footwork. Oh well, that was the very first try :D

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2012, 06:09:20 PM »
My first performance was in a recital/show, I don't really do competitions because they are so expensive (usually twice what shows cost to skate in, around here-I've only done like three in six years).

I did this before I took my Pre-Bronze test, so I think I was about Learn to Skate USFS Freestyle 1 level.   This was 5 years before I became a Bronze level skater!

We have had adults who are still in the higher Basic Skills levels do both shows and competitions around here- two foot spins and waltz jumps being their highest skills.  Don't feel like you need to be 'good' to get to perform or compete. 

Here it is.  I am 25 in this video, and had been skating about a year.

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2012, 06:22:16 PM »
Wow skittl, your artistry was already there!! That was a beautiful spiral, sorry that you lost it somewhat. Well attended show! And you guys have on-ice announcer?

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2012, 07:17:41 PM »
The on ice announcer was the coach who organized the show.

At the shows I've done since then it is usually the board president from off ice.

Thanks for the compliments.  Man, I miss my spirals, the back ones used to be great (front I was still a little scared of toe picking over) :(  It is funny looking back and seeing how shakey I was... even though my jumps aren't really that much better now, I'm just all around more solid on the ice.  Video history is a good thing.

Offline sarahonice

• Mohawk of Doom
  • Total GOE: 6
    • Sarah on Ice: my skating blog
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2012, 08:16:04 PM »
Timely topic! I'm working on my first program now for the holiday show, and I'm pretty sure I'm going to be a nervous wreck for it. I just wish I knew whether there'd be other adults in the show. I'll have been working on the program for about 5-6 weeks by the time the show comes around. I'm no-test now but I'm thinking of testing pre-bronze soon, maybe by the 1-year mark of my skating? Doing waltz/salchow, upright spin, nothing much higher than that.

Are the sectionals an open competition or are they the ones you have to qualify for? I'd be curious to know what the standard is for the various levels of adult skating; I've youtubed some, but it's hard to get a good idea.
My blog about learning to skate: http://sarahonice.wordpress.com

Offline JHarer

• Pairs Partner
  • Total GOE: 34
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2012, 09:02:04 PM »
My first performance was for competition approx. 7 months after I began skating. My first show was last Christmas 1.5 years after I started skating.

Offline TreSk8sAZ

• Blade Runner
  • Total GOE: 42
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2012, 09:53:49 PM »
My first "performance" was my first test. I think I took pre-pre moves and free that day. This was before they changed the adult age to 21.

Pre-bronze is kind of a crapshoot as far as levels. I know a couple of PB skaters here (AZ, so they would be at PCAS). One has a sal, waltz, and toe plus a one foot spin. The other has I think maybe a loop. But I've seen people who do higher elements as well. If you want to do it, do it. It is tons of fun, and you won't know until you try.

If you're near Pasadena then, why not do midwinter first to get your program out? Less pressure, still fun, and gets you a chance to get out there before PCAS (plus you see some of the elements people are doing). It's at East West (Artesia) on Feb 17th. Entry is on entryeeze. If nothing else, go watch that one to see the pre-bronzes.

Offline mamabear

• Divot Maker
  • Total GOE: 98
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2012, 10:44:58 PM »
The only time I've done a performance was in our spring ice show last year.  I don't have any plans to compete-just did it for fun.

Offline Janie

• Doing the Fiesta Tangle!
  • Total GOE: 45
    • Jumps and falls of an adult figure skater
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2012, 01:42:23 AM »
Thanks for the reply everyone!! ;D

Getting ready to be in my first performance(s) next weekend.
Oh how exciting! Good luck and have fun :)

jjane, I saw that program when you posted it before. I think I either forgot or didn't realize that that was your first performance. It was really good!

Skittl - wow. That back spiral was amazing, so sorry about your injury :(

Timely topic! I'm working on my first program now for the holiday show, and I'm pretty sure I'm going to be a nervous wreck for it.
Good luck and have fun too! Haha I'm sure I'd be a nervous wreck too when my time comes.
I think you don't need to qualify to go to sectionals. At our level, I don't think you even need to qualify to go to nationals! (Someone correct me if I'm wrong)

My first performance was for competition approx. 7 months after I began skating. My first show was last Christmas 1.5 years after I started skating.
Oooh what sort of competition was it?

My first "performance" was my first test. I think I took pre-pre moves and free that day. This was before they changed the adult age to 21.

Pre-bronze is kind of a crapshoot as far as levels. I know a couple of PB skaters here (AZ, so they would be at PCAS). One has a sal, waltz, and toe plus a one foot spin. The other has I think maybe a loop. But I've seen people who do higher elements as well. If you want to do it, do it. It is tons of fun, and you won't know until you try.

If you're near Pasadena then, why not do midwinter first to get your program out? Less pressure, still fun, and gets you a chance to get out there before PCAS (plus you see some of the elements people are doing). It's at East West (Artesia) on Feb 17th. Entry is on entryeeze. If nothing else, go watch that one to see the pre-bronzes.
Feb 17th might be too soon. I haven't even brought this up with my coach yet (will do on Tuesday). I have no idea how long it'll take me to learn a program, and I don't want to be completely rushed and dreading the day. But I'll mention this to my coach too, thanks for mentioning it!

The only time I've done a performance was in our spring ice show last year.  I don't have any plans to compete-just did it for fun.
Doing it just for fun seems like a good idea. I don't really know why I'm interested in competitions, I think "sectionals" seem to be something special to me.
My figure skating blog! http://janieskate.blogspot.com/

Offline RosiePosie.iskates

• Traveling in a Synchro Circle
  • Total GOE: 37
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2012, 09:23:33 AM »
My first competition was Jun 2011. I was in Basic 8!  :D First test was September of this year.  I've only been in 1 ice show, and that was this January in Freeskate 4. ;D Hopefully I can do another show in January 2013 but Preliminary this time.
Don't practice it until you don't do it wrong, practice until you can't do it wrong.

Offline alejeather

• Ice Tourist
  • Total GOE: 23
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2012, 10:17:11 AM »
If you don't count tests, my first performance will be in a Christmas recital coming up in a few weeks. I'm not doing a solo, though. I'll be in the group number that my spins class is doing.

I was going to do a solo in the Christmas show at another rink I skate at but had a scheduling conflict. I was disappointed about that, because I was looking forward to having the opportunity to do my first program in a lower pressure environment like that. Now it looks like my first time performing a program will be at a competition in March 2013.
"Any day now" turned out to be November 14, 2014.