You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Waterproofing tips?  (Read 3953 times)

Offline RosiePosie.iskates

• Traveling in a Synchro Circle
  • Total GOE: 37
Waterproofing tips?
« on: November 30, 2012, 04:10:31 PM »
So the last time my skates where waterproofed was back in July when I first got them. My coach said to do it again this month, but my sharpener said to do it every 5 weeks? So I guess my question is how often are do skaters typically waterproof? And how can I tell when my skates are in need of it? These are the first pair of "serious" skates I've owned with a leather sole. (Riedell 43ts) Thanks!
Don't practice it until you don't do it wrong, practice until you can't do it wrong.

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
  • Location: An arena, of course. More specifically, a Canadian arena.
  • Total GOE: 143
Re: Waterproofing tips?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2012, 05:23:38 PM »
You mean the soles? When they get first mounted, and that's it.  The guy who mounts the blades spends a fair bit of time over it - the SnoSeal is soaked in well - and then we just take care of them from that.  Chamois to wipe them down, soakers, out to air when not on the ice.  One pair of now "old beaters" (Riedells) are about 4 years? out of SnoSeal, and still completely repel water. No water damage, stains, at all.

Offline hopskipjump

• BladeLock
  • Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 59
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2012, 05:51:03 PM »
Our skate guy only does it when there has been damage.  The new exposed parts are sno-sealed when I take them in for sharpening.

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2012, 06:16:21 PM »
You mean the soles?

Yes! That's what I mean. :) That's really interesting to hear....everyone's been telling me I need to waterproof every 3 months and you guys have had success otherwise!  ;) Thanks!
Don't practice it until you don't do it wrong, practice until you can't do it wrong.

Offline Janie

• Doing the Fiesta Tangle!
  • Total GOE: 45
    • Jumps and falls of an adult figure skater
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2012, 07:27:59 PM »
I was about to ask the same question! I noticed a little dark spot on my sole as I was wiping the skates down after skating yesterday, and I was wondering if it was from getting wet. I'll check again next time I skate, but I was worried that is was becoming not waterproof in some spots. I've had the skates for 9 weeks.
My figure skating blog! http://janieskate.blogspot.com/

Offline JSM

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 39
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2012, 07:49:02 PM »
My tech does the initial waterproofing, and he told me to rub some sno seal in "when they need it".  I've done it twice on the boots I've had 6 months, and mostly because I keep putting gouges in the soles when learning new things!

I do make sure to dry them properly, which is definitely the best protection from water damage!

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2012, 09:33:21 PM »
If you start to see scuffs or nicks in your boots then you can apply more to those areas, otherwise they really shouldn't "need" regular waterproofing unless you are starting to see spots where water is soaking into the leather.

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2012, 09:41:57 PM »
I waterproof mine when I get them.

Then I try to remember to do them once a year, but sometimes it is more like never again...

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2012, 09:15:34 AM »
Thanks guys! I've noticed some dark spots where there seems to be water "soaking in" and they don't go away when they're completely dry. Is this sort mean that I should waterproof those spots again? Sorry for my ignorance... ;)

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2012, 09:26:41 AM »
Okay, how were they waterproofed? With what product?  How thoroughly?

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2012, 08:19:54 PM »
I wasn't there the first time they werer waterproofed, my technician took them in the back of the shop when he mounted the blades and waterproofed. He used Sno-seal, and the only  time I've done it since was when my sharpener told me to do the sides of the soles a bit. I've never done them thoroughly again. I just heated up the Sno-seal with a hairdryer and let it soak into the leather.

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2012, 09:36:14 PM »
Here's what I'd suggest. Get them out to air for a couple of days.  Grab a couple of those silica gel packs that come in with new shoes, purses, etc, and put them on top of the "wet" spots to pull out any residual moisture.  Then, SnoSeal them to death.  Put on a coat; heat it with a hairdryer until it melts in; repeat; repeat; and so on until the boot will not absorb any more of the stuff.  Then, make yourself a pair of silica moisture packs for your skate bag.  You can buy the stuff at a floral supply store:  fill an old sock, or a pair of tights, with the crystals, and keep it around your skates. If for some reason you're in a soggy environment or something, that'll keep them "drier" as such. Plus it'll soak up sweat, etc from inside your skate bag!

« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2012, 07:32:43 AM »
Good idea! I'll do that as soon as I get the chance! The only thing difficult about this would be letting them air out for a few days....I skate 7 days a week, so they never have much time to completely "dry" out. I do keep them outside of my skating bag whenever I'm at home though. Over Christmas Break when the rink is closed for 3 days sounds like the perfect oppurtunity though! Thanks!  :D

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 141
    • Ten Years of Figure Skating Discussions!
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2013, 01:42:22 PM »
Atsko, the makers of Sno-Seal, put these directions on their website: http://www.atsko.com/articles/footware/leather-care-for-ice-skates.html
-- Isk8NYC --
"I like to skate on the other side of the ice." - Comedian Steven Wright