You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: How Much For Used Boots & Blades?  (Read 1390 times)

Offline Sk8Dreams

• CER-B
  • Quintuple Salflutzchow
  • Total GOE: 70
  • On Edge
How Much For Used Boots & Blades?
« on: October 16, 2012, 09:12:15 PM »
I was in a thrift shop today and lucked into a pair of Jackson 2200 (Competitors) with Ultima Legacy blades.  The boots are hardly worn and the blades look like maybe they were sharpened once.  The boots have a sticker on the sole of a very reputable local pro shop.  I bought these to sell, not necessarily for top dollar, as I have a student they may fit, who needs better skates.  I googled, and found the latest version of the boot (which these are not, no rolled top) go for about $240, and the blades are about $160.  What do you think is a reasonable price to ask for them?
My glass is half full :)

Offline hopskipjump

• BladeLock
  • Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 59
Re: How Much For Used Boots & Blades?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2012, 09:25:12 PM »
Here you are lucky to get about 80 - 100.  Doesn't matter the brand names of blades or boots. 

You might get more for the blades on ebay.

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2012, 09:31:26 PM »
One way to find out the going rate in your area would be visiting a pro shop and ask if they take skates on consignment.

Over here the pro shop would sell them for about $200 ish I think.

Offline supra

• Traveling in a Synchro Circle
  • Total GOE: 5
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2012, 10:26:04 PM »
It depends how quick of a sale you want. Remember skates aren't like a shirt or something, they're sized pretty specifically, you gotta find someone who wants figure skates and is that size.

Anyway, my last pair of boots was used, used for 3 months. Looked pretty good, though used. They were Edea Concertos. $700+ boots, and the seller told me he got them extra stiff from the factory (which you have to special order.) I paid $160 for them. He was selling later a pair of new or worn once or twice or something like that, non extra stiff boots for $160. In my case, the dynamic is a bit different being a guy, as there's not many sellers, nor many buyers of black boots in a relatively big size. So $160 for a $700+ boot.

I also paid $80 on here for a pair of MK Professional blades ($200.)

Of course if you're willing to wait longer for an item to sell, you can make more money, but sometimes the difference can be like months.

I'd say in your case, upper limit of $175, lower limit of $100. If you want to make it better, if you post an ad in your rink's bulletin board saying "$175 negotiable" and see what you have to drop down to, as you may get lucky and not have to drop at all, or have to only drop to, say, 150. But if you want a quicker easier sale right now, I'd say about $100 would be reasonable.

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2012, 09:19:08 AM »
I got a pair of used Jackson Competitors with Gold Seal blades for $50.  That is the price of almost every used figure skating boot/blade in the skate directors office, regardless of what they are.  Occasionally they go up to $100, but those sit for a long time before they sell.  Recreational figure skates (below Jackson Freestyle) usually go for $20.