You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Asthma and Skating  (Read 8159 times)

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
  • Total GOE: 49
Asthma and Skating
« on: September 24, 2012, 06:39:59 AM »
I'm just wondering how people manage asthma with the cold conditions in the ice rink and the exercise factors as well. Are there techniques to avoid the asthma attack? How long do people find it takes for the medication to kick in?
The doctors think I may be asthmatic but it's a viral related thing, so the only time I get to practice handling it is once it's already hit, so looking for ideas to help manage it.

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
  • Location: An arena, of course. More specifically, a Canadian arena.
  • Total GOE: 143
Re: Asthma and Skating
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2012, 03:35:43 PM »
Both of my kids have asthma.  As long as it is controlled - i.e. they are using their prescribed medication properly - there are generally no issues.  However, if they have a cold or other upper respiratory issue, then, we have to keep the rescue inhalers to hand. However, the goal is to never have to use the rescue inhalers (ventolin) at all by making sure that the underlying condition is stable.  If we do - it takes about 2 or 3 minutes to kick in.

Being in very good cardiovascular health helps of course.

Offline taka

• Kid Magnet
  • Total GOE: 67
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2012, 02:06:38 AM »
I have mild asthma. It used to be worse as a teen but now I just need a reliever inhaler (Ventolin) if I have a cold or mild chest infection which affects my breathing.

Best bet is to talk it over with your GP or practice nurse - they can give you advice on how much to take (and when) to deal with exercising, and also how much you can safely take should you need to take several doses. Ventolin (Salbutamol) acts quickly - within a few minutes. I had a peak flow meter as a teen, and took measurements twice a day (and tracked that and inhaler use in a diary) so I (and they!) could have an idea if my asthma was properly controlled or not. That might help give you a little warning if you are not used to looking out for signs of it and you are needing your inhalers more often.

Other than that, silly as it sounds, don't panic and try to stay calm... Stressing out about your breathing (and so possibly increasing your breathing rate further!) tends to make you feel even less in control of it! Relaxation exercises (ones not focussed on breathing!) may help make you feel calmer until your medication helps!

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2012, 03:32:58 AM »
Other than that, silly as it sounds, don't panic and try to stay calm... Stressing out about your breathing (and so possibly increasing your breathing rate further!) tends to make you feel even less in control of it! Relaxation exercises (ones not focussed on breathing!) may help make you feel calmer until your medication helps!

It's not silly... Having never really experienced this before, I am panicing... Thankfully my coach was very good at talking me into breathing slowly and calming down.
I think my problem at the moment is that we're still trying to get the medication right, I'm learning how to time it for skating (I'm sure there is an optimum time in advance) and I'm trying to work out at what point the breathing goes funny. I generally only notice once it's gone...

Offline supra

• Traveling in a Synchro Circle
  • Total GOE: 5
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2012, 02:03:05 AM »
I had asthma as a kid, more allergy problems than asthma, and I more or less grew out of them, except some of the allergies. I noticed for me, having a good diet and getting more exercise helped. So it's pretty cliched sounding advice, but uh, diet and exercise do help, I think. I think one of the nails in the coffin for me and asthma was daily cycling and walking for about a year or so, that and eating a majority of my food cooked myself from scratch.  For me, though, it wasn't really exercise triggered, so that might be a different dynamic. Supposedly, the last time at an asthma doctor after the cycling, I'd had like 5-10% better lung capacity than average.

I dunno, probably not helpful much...

Offline taka

• Kid Magnet
  • Total GOE: 67
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2012, 03:42:01 AM »
Have you had a look at the Asthma UK website? They have loads of info and a phoneline where you can speak to an asthma nurse to help answer any questions too.

Are you keeping a diary of it all eg when you feel bad, when you took your meds, how many doses, did it help and how quickly / slowly your symptoms improved etc. It can help when it comes reviewing your meds and spot if anything needs to be tweeked that will help you. You should now be eligible for the flu jab for free too if that is something that makes it your asthma worse.

I hope that you get the balance of meds right soon. It is not pleasant feeling so out of control of something you normally just take for granted! :(

Offline sampaguita

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 44
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2012, 04:02:02 AM »
Yuzuru Hanyu has asthma, if I remember correctly...

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2012, 05:59:55 AM »
Thanks Taka. Having a look at their website now.
Having refused the flu vaccine up until now (it's free at work), I'm thinking I might have it this year. I don't think I fancy dealing with this AND flu.
I think it's a case of getting the meds right and me learning to understand when it's about to happen. The worst times do seem to be at the ice rink but I've yet to work out whether it's because I just jump straight in to skating at full pelt or whether it's because it's too cold. I guess I've got to experiment with it.
I am however thankful, that my lungs start from a very good base level because I am very fit. It's just nicer to feel tired because you're legs are worn out than because you're lungs gave up.
I did spot that Charley White is an asthmatic and he's got an Olympic Silver medal, so I'm wondering whether this means I get one now?!

Offline Purple Sparkly

• CER-A
  • Compulsory Figures
  • Total GOE: 65
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2012, 09:36:28 AM »
I experienced shortness of breath a couple years ago and took an inhaler for a while, but I haven't taken any asthma medication in probably four months.  I focus on deep breathing, especially on the exhale, and I have worked on my cardiovascular fitness.  I haven't had any problems for a while.  I do intermittently take an OTC allergy medication and I think that helps a lot.

Also, I have never had a flu shot or the flu.  I very rarely even get colds.

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2012, 10:16:32 AM »
Yuzuru Hanyu has asthma, if I remember correctly...

Yes, among several others like Charlie White and Tonya Harding with varying degrees of severity, based on what I read on Golden Skate. It really does seem to affect Hanyu's stamina in the long program. I have lots of respect for athletes fighting thru it!!!

Offline treesprite

• Defrosting Da Toes
  • Total GOE: 5
  • Returning from a past skating life.
    • Ice Skate Forum
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2013, 09:57:31 PM »
I have asthma. My skating endurance was terrible even as a kid. Cold air is a trigger, but if you make a concerted effort to breath through the nose and not the mouth, it won't be so bad. I know it's hard to be out of breath and not breath through the mouth, but it will make matters worse.