You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Everything Axel! Clinic  (Read 2983 times)

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 188
Everything Axel! Clinic
« on: May 17, 2012, 10:14:32 AM »
This is after-the-fact, but I just saw the flyer for it and thought it was an intriguing idea.

EVERYTHING AXEL!

Do you dream of landing your Axel? If so, we have the perfect class for you! Skaters who have passed Freeskate 5 qualify to enroll for this specialty class.

This is a workshop style course with the instructor rotating amongst students providing coaching tips and exercises.

Skaters will receive instruction, but will also work independently on the specific drills coaches provide to help them achieve their goal of Axel perfection!

FLYER LINK
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline hopskipjump

• BladeLock
  • Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 59
Re: Everything Axel! Clinic
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2012, 10:31:30 AM »
We have pre-axel, axel, dbl jump 2s/2t, dbl jmp 2 l/f, elite dbl jmp, 2a/triples workshops offered at our rinks. LTS kind of ends at fs1/fs3.  Usually at fs1 they add a beginning spin class (also broken into levels) and start pre-axel.

I didn't know this was unusual until we started visiting other rinks! I wish ours included freestyle sessions though!  We get practice/public sessions instead.

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2012, 10:36:43 AM »
Our LTS program includes an 'axel plus' class.  This is for kids who have passed all the freeskate levels.  Right now, they are mostly working higher doubles (loop, flip, lutz) as they are more advanced then when the class started, but it started with kids who just got axels.

We also have "specialty" which is basically one coach's students all as a group class.  They are mixed from like Basic 4 to well beyond any freeskate level (working on intermediate moves, maybe pre-juv free? at the high end)  This is where most of the ISI practice happens.  I imagine the coach loses a lot of money doing it this way (since he just gets paid by LTS) but it is a great deal for the kids, and it keeps them in private lessons too, so it works.

Our LTS sessions include 8 skate passes, and if you are in a freestyle or axel-plus level, you can use those on freestyle instead of public.

We don't have any special spin classes though.

Probably 80% of our freestyle skaters are also still in the LTS program, mostly because the practice ice makes it such a good deal.

My question to coaches about the class that inspired this thread- is it good to dedicate a half hour every week to just one jump?  It seems like a skater would benefit more if more than just an axel was worked on.  Or maybe these kids all take lots of other lessons too.

Offline hopskipjump

• BladeLock
  • Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 59
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2012, 11:06:06 AM »
In our classes every girl in axel and above has a private coach.

It might be axel class but they are doing exercises to help with it - backspin, fast back spin, walk throughs  - it's not just trying axels - it's all the parts that make an axel.

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2012, 11:12:59 AM »
And I think 30 minutes a week is only a portion of their Axel training time!

Would this type of class typically include off ice?

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2012, 11:20:12 AM »
is it good to dedicate a half hour every week to just one jump?  It seems like a skater would benefit more if more than just an axel was worked on.  Or maybe these kids all take lots of other lessons too.

I would think that most skaters would be taking such a class in addition to the rest of their training, which likely include other group classes (at my rink, the kids above B6 join the "team" and can basically take as many group classes they want at their level for the price of taking two group classes a week - most end up taking 4-6 classes a week that way so it is a great deal) and private lessons.

My coach and I will often spend one lesson (30 minutes) working on just one thing.. it's not always jumps, but I find that the super-focused instruction is very  helpful rather than trying to cram a lot into a little time.

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 188
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2012, 11:51:33 AM »
As I said, I found out about this after it was already over, so I have no details or feedback about the starting post.  It is an interesting approach to give skaters a reason to stay involved in group lessons.  I have heard of it being offered by progressive, successful ISI programs, but rarely in conjunction with a USFSA Basic Skills program.  The ISI skating directors who offer it usually mentioned other specialized or "fun" classes.  This flyer caught my eye because the axel tends to hold skaters back and I thought it would be a good way to break the barrier.

I would assume the skating school approaches it clinic-style: with the proper warmup drills and other exercises to build control, alignment and strength.  I didn't see anything in the flyer about off-ice, but it is a vital part of learning to jump properly.

I doubt they're doing "fling and pray" repeated jump attempts for 30 minutes, but I do appreciate the concern about potential overuse injuries.  Kids who are learning the axel tend to "fling and pray" repeatedly, resulting in pain and injury, along with bad habits.  I would think a supervised group session with an intructor would be better.
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com