You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Strengthening Hip & Quad Muscles  (Read 1993 times)

Offline singerskates

• Synchro Stompin'
  • Total GOE: 6
  • Canadian Adult Skater
    • Singerskates Sports Music Editing
Strengthening Hip & Quad Muscles
« on: May 02, 2012, 02:57:33 PM »
Hi,

Besides doing lots of walking, what are things I can do to strengthen my hips and quads? I don't have nor can I afford a gym membership.

I need stronger hips to keep my free leg up on my Camels longer and both for my sit spins.

Help!!!
"It's not age that determines but the heart." "Skating is not just a sport for the young but it's a passion for the soul of the young at heart." Brigitte Laskowski

I am an adult skater who is a member of Tecumseh Skating  WOS for 2012 2013 season.

Offline irenar5

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 61
Re: Strengthening Hip & Quad Muscles
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2012, 03:15:56 PM »
For camel you also need to have strength in the back.  I would recommend buying ankle weights (a set of progressively heavier ones) and wear those when you do spiral positions at home. You can also use a Dynaband and tie one end around one ankle and the other around the other and lift legs into the spiral position.  You have to make sure that you tighten your abdominals when you do these. 
For the quads you need to do a lot of lunges and one legged squats- that would help a lot with the sit spin.
For both camel and sit you need to make sure that you are not only strong but flexible in your hamstrings.  Can you reach the floor with your hands or even better, put them flat on the floor?   If not, you really need to stretch those muscles.