You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Personal training assessment?  (Read 2169 times)

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
Personal training assessment?
« on: April 19, 2012, 09:22:52 PM »
I cannot afford working with personal trainers regularly, but would like to get one-time assessment to figure out what to work on and how. Would really hope to hear about your experiences with personal trainers.

What do you look for in the assessment? I hope to get a complete assessment and not sure whether assessments offered by local fitness centers cover all the bases.

If the trainer is not knowledgeable in the mechanics of figure skating, how should one define the specific goals of off-ice training?

Last, but not least, how did you find your trainer? :)

Thank you very much for sharing!

Offline Kim to the Max

• Ice is the Vice
  • Total GOE: 72
Re: Personal training assessment?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2012, 09:32:45 PM »
My trainer was not familiar with the specifics of figure skating, but he has a lot of education in fitness and he was able to figure it out. He will also look things up, or youtube videos of specific moves. He was able to know that I needed to be able to have both stamina and quick movements. We do a lot of functional training which is helpful. I would let the trainer know what types of movements you are doing - for me, for one trainer I had for about 3 sessions, I literally walked out the senior power pulls for her, so she knew what it was. I am with a different trainer now, and he kicks my butt every time I see him!

Offline irenar5

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 61
Re: Personal training assessment?
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2012, 11:57:47 PM »
Sk8strong has an video that goes over needed strength and flexibility tests.  You can do a self assessment!