You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Heel hugger / inserts / paddings  (Read 8076 times)

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
Heel hugger / inserts / paddings
« on: March 29, 2012, 06:04:30 PM »
I am dealing with a developing Haglund's Deformity (see this thread), sigh. I do not know if my heels are narrow for the regular width boots, they don't feel moving. But will definitely make a trip to the pro shop.

In the meanwhile, I hope to explore the options with my current boots. So far I see the bunion pads, anti-slip heel inserts, and cosmetic pads being mentioned. Would heel inserts / heel huggers / ankle sleeves help? Or maybe relining the boots?

From the other thread
I use the 1/4" gel pads on my huge, ugly bunions. . . . big AAAHHHHHH!  They really do the trick.  I've tried them both with a hole cut in the center (I just folded it in half and used scissors to cut the hole) and as a solid pad. Doesn't seem to matter. Both versions work well.
I tried to put in a small piece of 1/4" akton gel pad, it's way too thick and pushed my toes to the front by a lot. Probably with bunions there was more room on the side?

Offline dak_rbb

• Wobbling on new skates
  • Total GOE: 2
Re: Heel hugger / inserts / paddings
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2012, 12:57:12 AM »
One of my dd's heels was bothering her--it was her smaller foot and I think the heel of the skate must have been just a bit loose and rubbing.  I cut a piece of molefoam (like moleskin, but thicker) and stuck it around the base of the heel.  That seems to do the trick for her.  I replace it every few months when the edges start to curl up.   Maybe that would help?

We've also had a shoe repair guy sew additional padding (like heel huggers I think) into the heel of a pair of skates once. It was inexpensive (~$15) and worked pretty well.

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2012, 05:59:08 PM »
I cut a piece of molefoam (like moleskin, but thicker) and stuck it around the base of the heel... We've also had a shoe repair guy sew additional padding (like heel huggers I think) into the heel of a pair of skates once.

Hmm a friend also mentioned relining at shoe repair shop worked out better than heel huggers, maybe that will be the solution.

I skated with ankle sleeve today and it somehow hurt my ankle. Also tried putting a mall piece of gel pad and was very uncomfortable. Remedy worse than vice so far lol.

Setting an appointment to see pro shop people. In the meanwhile any more reviews? Thanks :)

Offline Bunny Hop

• AOSS Member
  • Total GOE: 37
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2012, 02:08:00 AM »
I use a heel liner in one of my boots to take up the extra space (one foot is smaller than the other), and find that works quite well. I just buy the heel liners at the chemist and they stick inside the heel of the boot. It does need replacing fairly frequently as it loses its stick after a while (although I think this is due to the nylon lining of the boots not being ideal for adhesion and not the quality of the product), but it's a much cheaper solution than custom boots, which would be overkill for the level/frequency of my skating.

These are similar to the ones I use. They're a better shape and thickness than the Dr Scholl ones that are more common, and I have to stock up on more when we are in the States later this year:
http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/walgreens-heel-liners/ID=prod3984791-product

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2012, 08:37:00 AM »
Bunny HOp, I haven't had luck with other brands of heel inserts, but based on your review I'll give the walgreens ones a try.

I come from the South and I really missed Walgreens. Now we have one here finally so I won't have to order online.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline Bunny Hop

• AOSS Member
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2012, 05:27:48 AM »
Bunny HOp, I haven't had luck with other brands of heel inserts, but based on your review I'll give the walgreens ones a try.
I found the Dr Scholl ones gots squished too quickly. These ones seem to keep their shape.

Offline sampaguita

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 44
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2012, 09:02:03 AM »
Is it enough to just stick the heel huggers in the boot, or do they slip? Do you have to sew them in?

Offline AgnesNitt

• The ice doesn't care
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2012, 10:01:52 AM »
I tried them and the didn't work for me. Not thick enough on the right boot.  :'(
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline Skate@Delaware

• Chock Full of Lilty Goodness
  • Total GOE: 61
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2012, 06:13:58 PM »
I went to the Dollar Tree and found the old-fashioned thick style of heel grippers. I'm thinking they are latex foam rubber, not so good if you have a latex allergy, but they are thick enough to hold my heel down. Of course, getting my foot in and out of my boot without un-sticking them-that's difficult but manageable.
Avoiding the Silver Moves Mohawk click-of-death!!!

Offline AgnesNitt

• The ice doesn't care
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2012, 06:36:01 PM »
I tried ripping out the Walgreen's ones, but only half would come out. Skated with the remaining half in. It was actually really the best thing that could have happened. Worked great.

Offline Skate@Delaware

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2012, 06:55:46 PM »
I tried ripping out the Walgreen's ones, but only half would come out. Skated with the remaining half in. It was actually really the best thing that could have happened. Worked great.
awesome! If you need them to come out later, use a hair dryer to heat them up & loosen the glue. It works but you will have some residue left over that you can remove with rubbing alcohol.

Offline Bunny Hop

• AOSS Member
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2012, 09:08:11 PM »
Is it enough to just stick the heel huggers in the boot, or do they slip? Do you have to sew them in?
They're self adhesive. You peel off the backing and stick them inside the boot.

I have to be careful putting my foot in the boot that the heel liner doesn't come unstuck, but that's because the nylon lining on my boots isn't ideal for adhesion. They probably stick better on different material.

Offline Skate@Delaware

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2012, 09:07:05 AM »
They're self adhesive. You peel off the backing and stick them inside the boot.

I have to be careful putting my foot in the boot that the heel liner doesn't come unstuck, but that's because the nylon lining on my boots isn't ideal for adhesion. They probably stick better on different material.
That's the problem I had with mine-I had to really loosen up my skate and stick my fingers down the back to hold it in place. Removing my foot was also dicey-had to stick my fingers onto the hugger cause it was rolling and sticking to my heel as I pulled it out.

Offline AgnesNitt

• The ice doesn't care
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2012, 08:16:43 PM »
I have a suggestion for the heel hugger: cut it in half.

When I put one in my right boot, it was uncomfortable because it very slightly pushed my foot forward. It wasn't until I pulled half of it out (it tore) that I realized I should have cut it in half and put one half on either side of my heel on the inside of the boot.

Offline skatingmum2

• Homologating Quadrubles
  • Total GOE: 3
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2012, 11:53:14 AM »
Where do you place the heel liners (just out of interest)? Under the heel? Can they be used with orthotic arch supports?

Offline AgnesNitt

• The ice doesn't care
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2012, 03:52:23 PM »
I place them on the side of the heel inside the boot, on the boot part, not the sole part.

I think you'll have to experiment to see if they work with your orthotics.

Offline Bunny Hop

• AOSS Member
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2012, 07:43:38 AM »
Where do you place the heel liners (just out of interest)? Under the heel?
No, they're for the back of the boot. I use them because one of my feet is half a size longer than the other, and they're just about right to take up the extra space.