You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: SOI Portland ME  (Read 2127 times)

Offline Schmeck

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 13
SOI Portland ME
« on: March 18, 2012, 09:32:55 AM »
It's been quite a few years since I did a post about my adventures on the anual SOI in Portland trip with my cousin Pookie. We had quite a few 'shining moments' this trip though, so I thought I'd share.

For those who are wondering what the heck I'm talking about, a little background. My best friend (and cousin) Pookie and I have been going up to Portland for over 14 years now, for a girls' weekend away to see SOI, do some shopping, and other fun stuff ;) We've met so many skaters from the show that it's hard to recall them all - we've talked to Scott Hamilton, Kristi Yamaguchi, Todd Sands, Sarah Hughes, and have autographs from many, many more. When Scott was on the tour, they always stayed at the Portland Regency, so we stayed there to. The tour has gotten smaller, the crowds smaller too, so now they don't even spend the night in Portland sometimes. But we still book our weekend at the Regency.

I've also brought both of my daughters at separate times, and my husband one year, during the years that Pookie couldn't leave her daughter Sami. My daughter Icy skated back then, so she was thrilled to meet Kristi Yamaguchi at the hotel, and some may remember the escapade of Icy in the suite's jacuzzi, overflowing with bubbles, bubbles everywhere, dripping from the ceiling, the opposite wall, just everywhere...

Piglet and her best friend at the time got a lot of special attention from Sarah Hughes the year she took off from college and toured. One of Sarah's programs was with Yagudin - and she started from a seat in the audience, right where we were. The two girls gladly sat in one seat so she could use another one. She came back at the end of the show to give them both a special hug and thank you. Class act, all the way.

More to come...   

Offline Schmeck

Re: SOI Portland ME
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2012, 02:02:56 PM »
OK, on to this weekend.

The Cumberland County Civic Center was only about half full, and it's a small arena. Pookie and I had on ice seats on the red line at the end opposite the tunnel. Not the greatest on ice seats, as people tend to lean forward and you lose your sight line for a good chunk of one corner, but we did get to see most of each performance, very up close.

As always, the group ensembles were my favorite - the cast just seems to have so much fun together, and the choreography is intense. The guys are much more willing to fool around and enjoy the camaraderie, and I swear that half the stuff they do to each other is not scripted.

Lowlights:

1. Sasha Cohen - not one jump attempt, just lots of crotch shots.  Yes, we all know she is Gumby's sister, but all we got to see was spiral, charlotte, and some distorted spins that she couldn't keep centered. Kids in our local ice shows can do that stuff, and they do jumps too.

2. Sarah Hughes - one single axel attempt, which she almost face-splatted on. It was horrible, and I think she lost her nerve after that. I really don't think she has been skating at all, and it was sad to see her struggle. Now I'll remember her from this past skate, instead of the great ones she did years ago when she sat with us.

3. Joannie Rochette - too reserved on tour this year, she just didn't look like she was having any fun. She skated well, she's in great shape, but just no spark on the ice.

Highlights in a little while.

Offline Schmeck

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2012, 06:48:53 AM »
Highlights:

1. Ryan Bradley - he just loves an audience, and the audience loves him! This is the energy and connection to the audience that I remember from years' past. He wasn't even going all out flirty with the crowd, but just letting us know that he loves skating for us. Lots of backflips (maybe too many?) and simple choreography, but great joy in his skating.

2. Kurt Browning -  the man is still doing triples (although he fell on one and almost landed in the audience, and I think he hurt his knee on the edge of the flooring) and the footwork is incredible. My favorite performance of the night was the opening to Adele's Rolling in the Deep. Kurt (and two other male skaters, and I can't remember which two!) had their skates hooked up to a microphone system, somehow. At first I thought it was taped sound effects, but it really seemed too spot on to be taped.  They 'tap danced' and it was amazing.

More to come, I have to get ready for work!

Offline Schmeck

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2012, 07:42:34 PM »
More Highlights:

3. Katia Gordeeva, who will be 41 in May, and looks 21. She still gets that glowing look on her face when she skates. She attempted 3 double jumps in one program, one landed very well, a double axel landed on two feet, and one fall. Still, she landed one clean jump more than Sarah Hughes and Sasha Cohen, combined. She also stuck her tongue out and made a really funny face at her husband during the finale, when they were paired up for some spins.

4. John and Sinead Kerr - such an odd couple, as she actually seems bigger than her brother sometimes. They are really close in height, and he's pretty slim, and she's very strong. They have some great programs in the show, and she lifts him up just as much as he lifts her. They connected as best they could with the audience, as many people didn't seem to know who they were. I think they are a great addition to the cast, team players, and I hope the tour continues to build.

Kurt Browning's choreography and theme throughout the show was classic, entertaining, sharp and creative. He did a great favor to SOI, as the man is getting "up there" in years for a skater (45), and was breathing a bit heavily at the end of the show. He put so much energy into everything - and as a fan, I really appreciated it.

More fun yet to come! 

Offline sampaguita

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 44
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2012, 09:49:07 AM »
Ah, Katia Gordeeva. One of the most beautiful skaters, I think. I wish she had a daughter who looked like her. Both of her daughters are beautiful, but they look like their fathers. It would have been great if she had another one who looked like her.