You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: A Variety of Laces  (Read 6734 times)

Offline Orianna2000

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 22
    • Yesterday's Thimble
A Variety of Laces
« on: February 27, 2012, 10:26:57 AM »
When I got my first skates, Jackson Glaciers, they came with thick laces that were much too long. I always had to double-tie the laces so they wouldn't drag on the ice. My second pair of skates, Riedell 110s, came with thick laces that were much too short. I had to tie the skates extra-super tight, just to have enough at the top to tie a teeny-tiny bow. My new skates, Jackson Classiques, have very skinny laces that are maybe a tad too long, but not bad enough that I have to double-lace them.

I really like the skinny laces that come with my Classiques. They feel like spaghetti, not like the thick "beginner's" laces that come with the Glaciers and 110s. But I haven't a clue where to buy a second set that are so skinny. Does anyone know? I'd like a second set to keep on hand in case they break, but most places I've seen that sell laces only give you the length, not the width or thickness of the laces.

While we're on the subject of laces, does anyone have any tips or tricks they'd like to share? I learned a trick somewhere . . . not sure where . . . but after you've tied your bow, you hook the loops of your bow around your top speed-hooks, then pull the ends of the laces to tighten the loops taut around the hooks. This secures the bow nicely, ensuring that it won't come undone while you're skating. If your ends are still very long after doing this, you can then tie a second bow, using the ends, just to use up the excess length. I haven't actually tried this lacing trick while skating yet, but it seems like a really neat idea.

Any other lacing tips or tricks? Any rants or raves about your laces?

Offline aussieskater

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 52
Re: A Variety of Laces
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2012, 04:10:35 PM »
I'm with you Orianna - I prefer the thinner Jackson laces to their thicker ones!

I buy mine from our local shop who orders them in from Jacksons.  Can you get your local shop to order them for you?  Or maybe mail order from a larger or online store might work.

You'll need to know the length you require - they come in several lengths I think: 94 (?)", 108", 120" and 130".  The easiest way to be sure of the size you need is to take one out and measure it.

Offline Orianna2000

• Freestyle Skater
    • Yesterday's Thimble
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2012, 06:42:30 PM »
I didn't realize you could order skate laces direct from Jackson. I'll have to check and see if our pro-shop can do that, and how much it would cost. Thanks for the tip!

I know some folks prefer the thicker laces, because they're easier on your hands when you're tightening the laces--but I have arthritis in my fingers, so I normally have to use a metal lacing hook when I lace my skates. With the hook, it's easier to grab onto the skinnier laces than the thick ones, so I can lace up faster with the skinnier laces.

Offline MadMac

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 38
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2012, 08:15:30 PM »
jenskates.com has both the thin nylon laces and the cotton/nylon blend. I have ordered things here before and got good, quick service.

Offline Orianna2000

• Freestyle Skater
    • Yesterday's Thimble
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2012, 11:41:41 PM »
Thanks, I just bookmarked their site.

Offline bollyskater

• Dust Bunny Hopping
  • Total GOE: 18
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2012, 03:57:56 AM »
I get a lot of compliments about my Swarovski crystal-decorated laces.
http://www.skate-buys.com/12rhla.html

They're made by Jerry's and I get them from Skate-Buys.

Offline Orianna2000

• Freestyle Skater
    • Yesterday's Thimble
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2012, 09:59:40 AM »
Ooh, those are pretty!

Offline bollyskater

• Dust Bunny Hopping
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2012, 01:48:14 PM »
And while not perfect, they are way smoother than the scratchy laces that came with my Jacksons.

Offline tazsk8s

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 25
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2012, 03:12:27 PM »
I get a lot of compliments about my Swarovski crystal-decorated laces.
http://www.skate-buys.com/12rhla.html

They're made by Jerry's and I get them from Skate-Buys.

I love those.  I have some leftover crystals from various sewing projects, so right now I have alternating blue and clear ones on my laces just like those!

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
  • Location: An arena, of course. More specifically, a Canadian arena.
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2012, 05:18:16 PM »
The Jerry's rhinestone ones are great laces; the laces themselves are sturdy, wear well, and are easy to use, and the rhinestones don't come off no matter what !  They are really quite subtle on the ice.

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 188
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2012, 05:51:04 PM »
[/start soapbox rant]
Am I a Scrooge for saying I can't see paying twice as much just to have some pretty rhinestones on the laces?  The profit margin's gotta be $2-3/pair, at least! 

Using rhinestones to decorate regular sturdy laces is much more sensible to my way of thinking.  If people would stop paying the huge markup on skating items, maybe they'd stop setting the prices so high!

My pet peeve is when people (not you guys) buy overpriced items for a bit of sparkle or flash, then complain that figure skating's so expensive when it comes time to get new skates. 

[/end soapbox rant]
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline Orianna2000

• Freestyle Skater
    • Yesterday's Thimble
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2012, 05:56:06 PM »
They are expensive, but once in awhile it's nice to treat yourself to something special. I would be nervous about gluing my own crystals on. What if the glue doesn't hold and the stones fall off onto the ice? Won't they trip someone up? Or is there a specific glue you can use that will hold them securely?

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2012, 06:13:45 PM »
There must be a glue or heatset that works if they're selling them that way, right? 
It can't possibly cost $4 for six rhinestones and the fixative. 

If you're worried about losing one and tripping someone up, don't use these decorations.  If one does fall off the Jerry's brand, what are you going to do?  Search the ice?  Ask for a refund or file a damage claim?  What difference does it make if you DIY?  It's the same situation in either case, except you can complain that the overpriced laces didn't hold the rhinestones, even though someone said they would. 

Sequins and feathers are far more dangerous on the ice than rhinestones.  Rhinestones tend to get broken/plinked/knocked out of the way; sequins/feathers get stuck under the blade, making you lose contact with the ice.

When I competed, we weren't allowed to have any decorations on our skates/laces that might fall off.  We used to put seed beads (in Club colors) on safety pins and slide them over the bottom of our laces - had to take them off before the warmup.

Offline MadMac

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 38
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2012, 06:25:37 PM »
You could buy the crystals designed to be sewn on. Would not be difficult to stitch them in place on the laces and they would be more secure.

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
  • Location: An arena, of course. More specifically, a Canadian arena.
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2012, 06:31:30 PM »
My pairs of Jerry's rhinestone laces cost me $3.99 each.  I figured it was a good deal for something that was a fun stocking stuffer.  And it all comes down to different families having different ideas on what's a "treat" - we don't own a Zuca bag, rhinestone covered gloves, etc etc etc, but, a $3.99 pair of sparkly laces - ?  I was okay with that :)  The laces also have way outlasted the braidlace ones, and the ones that came with the skates - one of the pairs is on it's 3rd pair of skates, actually, and is about 2 years old. So, the quality is pretty good to start with.  

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2012, 06:37:39 PM »
$4 is perfectly reasonable since normal laces run $3-4 in the pro shop.  You got a bargain since the lowest online price I saw was just under $9.

The website linked in a prior post shows them ON SALE for twice the amount you paid, plus shipping.  That's price-gouging, imo and paying that price keeps the selling prices high.

Offline Orianna2000

• Freestyle Skater
    • Yesterday's Thimble
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2012, 06:57:30 PM »
There's some on eBay from a Canadian seller for about $9. Looking at the closeup photo, I almost wonder if they're the prong-set kind. I don't know if that's more secure than glued or heat-set, but if you set them with prongs AND glued them, they might be pretty secure. I might consider the DIY sew-on kind, since I could ensure that they're secure. Double or triple stitch them and use glue underneath. Might be overkill, but it would make sure they're not coming loose!

Offline retired

• Gamified Figure Skater!
  • Total GOE: 71
« Reply #17 on: February 29, 2012, 12:12:00 AM »
The Jerry's ones are heatset.  We did our synchro team laces on our own.  We had to tape skates and change laces so our team manager decided to do the laces with some leftover 16ss so basically free.   We've lost maybe two or three stones over the entire season.   I think when they're put on the lace after the lace is on the boot there is much less stress on the glue.

Offline bollyskater

• Dust Bunny Hopping
« Reply #18 on: February 29, 2012, 07:31:54 AM »
I an doing single jumps and scratch spins and have had the Jerry's Swarovski laces on my boots for 10 months and nothing has come loose. I even sliced one of the laces near the crystals with a blade somehow by a quarter of an inch several months ago and it hasn't gotten any worse. I carry extras in case it does but so far so good. My only issue is that my hands turned blue from one of my skating dress's unstable fabrics and then when I tied my laces they turned blue too.