You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Testing vs Competing (Adults) ...old ones  (Read 2852 times)

Offline Adultsk8r509

• Doing the Fiesta Tangle!
  • Total GOE: 34
    • Adult Figure Skating Over 50
Testing vs Competing (Adults) ...old ones
« on: February 14, 2012, 10:53:03 AM »
Hi Ladies and Gents.  I am getting back into skating.  It's been 32 years since I have been on the ice and 41 years since the last time I attempted to test Preliminary and chickened out for my free skate portion.  Yes it was the old days of figures and freestyle.

I am testing on March 30 my MIF Pre-Bronze.  I feel fairly confident on them and I am learning the Bronze MIF.  Is it necessary to first test in the Pre-Bronze free skate or can you skip that and test in the Bronze Free Skate?  It says you can test higher, but I didn't catch whether or not you can skip testing a lower level all together.  My guess is that you have to climb the ladder step by step.

I'm not ready to test my free skate in Bronze by any means... but I'm trying to grasp the rules.

Happy Landings...

Diane

www.waltzjump.com
Happy Landings
www.waltzjump.com

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
Re: Testing vs Competing (Adults) ...old ones
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2012, 11:00:11 AM »
You must go through the levels in order.
To compete Bronze you must first do pre-bronze MITF, bronze MITF, and bronze freeskate.  The exception is competitions that let you compete up one level, so then you would only need to do pre-bronze MITF and pre-bronze freeskate (a program is not required).  This is most everything but adult nationals- to skate bronze at nationals, you have to have the bronze freeskate.

You can do all the MITF (in order) without ever taking a freeskate test, but you cannot take a freeskate test without having done the corresponding MITF test (and all below it), and all the previous freeskate tests.

Offline irenar5

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 61
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2012, 12:55:55 PM »
What she said :-)

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2012, 02:26:06 PM »
You have to take the tests in order.   That said, you could test all the way through senior moves without ever taking a freeskate test if you wish though, but it doesn't work the other way around - the moves test must be passed before you can test the equivalent level freeskate.

Pre-bronze FS is really easy though.... you are simply asked to skate the elements, no program required.  You could take it at the same time as your pre-bronze moves, or with your bronze moves, or even just before your bronze freeskate when you get to that point - there's' no need to do them in separate test sessions if you are confident you will pass the lower level.

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 188
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2012, 02:44:15 PM »
If you test "on contingency," you forfeit the higher-level test fees unless you pass the pre-requisite tests.  Be completely certain that you'll pass before you sign up to test on contingency.

Most clubs will only allow one contingency test because they have to block out and pay for the ice time, regardless of whether or not you pass the pre-requisites.  If you registered to take Pre-Bronze Moves and Pre-Bronze FS at the same session, the freeskate test is already on contingency, so they may not allow you to register for Bronze Moves.  (Check the announcement or registration form/site.)

There have been skaters who've taken multiple contingency tests, but those were arranged in advance with the skating club and judges, not just walking in off the street, so to speak.  I know someone who took all her Moves tests in two sessions, but she was a coach who already had her Golds in Figures, Freeskate and Dance.
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2012, 02:57:57 PM »
If you test "on contingency," you forfeit the higher-level test fees unless you pass the pre-requisite tests.  Be completely certain that you'll pass before you sign up to test on contingency.

This depends on the club.  Some will refund your money, others will hold it until the next session.

Most you lose it.

I have not seen a club limiting the number of contingency tests, unless the test session is very short and there are a lot of skaters signed up.  Yes, they have to block out and pay for the ice time- but if you are forfeiting your test fee, you've paid them back for the ice time.  The club doesn't lose anything.

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2012, 03:17:58 PM »
I didn't know of any club that refunds/credits contingency test fees.  Injury/illness, yes, but not for contingency testing. 

Count your blessings if the clubs in your area do that - it's very generous, but far from common.  Here is an example:
http://www.champlainvalleyskatingclub.org/Test/testing_information.htm
Very generous, but not the norm on the East Coast.

In fact, some clubs allow no contingency testing at all: http://www.essexskatingclub.org/pdfforms/2011testapp.pdf
(Which is why I didn't test with them and how I know)

Others will allow several contingency tests, but keep the money if the skater doesn't pass:
http://www.columbiafsc.com/testing.aspx
(One of their test sessions had the same skater taking FIVE tests on contingency; six in all.  That's a show of confidence!)

When I took Pre-Prel Moves with the FS on contingency, the Club said if they needed time for others, the test would be dropped and I'd receive a refund, but not if I didn't pass.  The organizer told me later that she put me last so they could go home early if I didn't pass the Pre-Prel Moves.  They must have been disappointed, lol.

That's one of the reasons many coaches have skaters test one moves level ahead - so they avoid contingency testing.

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2012, 03:31:58 PM »
I was just pointing out that there isn't only one way.

It is important to find out what the actual policies of local clubs are.  Knowing what a club halfway across the country does is only a basic guideline of what to expect.

For example, many people say to hold tests until they are "really" ready, there will be another session next month.  In the land of one test a year, you put out what you have and hope.

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2012, 03:55:32 PM »
Yes, that's your situation and honestly, if the club only has a test session once a year, it's smart and generous of them to refund or credit contingency fees.  But, again, that's not the norm in other parts of the US.  One of the clubs I belonged to in NJ had one test session a year and they didn't allow contingency tests at all.  (I think the club has since folded.)

Offline Adultsk8r509

• Doing the Fiesta Tangle!
  • Total GOE: 34
    • Adult Figure Skating Over 50
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2012, 10:28:51 PM »
Wow, thanks everyone.  I never expected so many replies.  I just got new boots and I have no idea what my nerves will be like the first time.  So with my coaches advice I will just test PB MIF and PB Free this time around.  If all goes well, next time I may be more adventurous. Sounds like the test fees are a bone of contention with some !! I had no idea there was such a thing as contingency tests.  I suppose if I really felt confident I could attempt the Bronze MIF on the same day with that intent couldn't I?

Happy Landings.    Diane

www.waltzjump.com
Happy Landings
www.waltzjump.com