You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: New Dress  (Read 3809 times)

Offline isakswings

• Carrying Baton for Yelling At Hockey Boys
  • Total GOE: 22
New Dress
« on: February 13, 2012, 05:17:33 PM »
Hi all. This is a dress I am working on. I actually started on it in the fall for a duet dd was doing with her bff, until bff hurt herself. Anyway, this was my first attempt at adding an applique(the black fabric in the middle of the dress). At least that is what I am calling it. LOL. I know appliques are typically smaller, but I cannot think of what else to call it. :) I have never made a strappy dress before(without a pattern) so this is also new for me. This dress is an experiment of sorts. I like the look of it so far. :)

What do you think? Would you add a 3rd strap or change the placement of the straps? Thanks!

Offline Live2Sk8

• Divot Maker
  • Total GOE: 29
Re: New Dress
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2012, 05:30:54 PM »
I think the dress is beautiful!  I wish I could make dresses without a pattern - you are very creative.  I would call the black fabric an overlay.  The placement of the straps looks great but the black is quite a contrast against the light green fabric.  It looks wonderful as-is, but you might add a third strap and have 2 of the straps in green and the third (in middle) in black.  Or add a third strap in green in the middle.  Your daughter is so lucky to have a mom who can make her dresses. 

Offline isakswings

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2012, 05:43:39 PM »
Thanks! I actually do use patterns. I just modify them some or mix and match. It's a little scary for me to do tho! I can't hand draft my own patterns yet. :) Thanks for the ideas about the straps. I am not sure that I have enough green left to make a green strap. I thought of another way to do the straps and if I do it, i will post a picture here. I love the colors of this dress!

This dress came from this pattern.

http://sewing.patternreview.com/patterns/12679 I just changed the shoulder strap and made it a solid tank style dress

Offline hopskipjump

• BladeLock
  • Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 59
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2012, 01:53:58 PM »
I would change the straps to the green with the overlay (if that is even possible).  I LOVE the dress.  It's beautiful!  I think 3 straps would look more balanced, but I've also learned on the hanger looks different on the skater so go with what you like when she is in the dress.

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
  • Location: An arena, of course. More specifically, a Canadian arena.
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2012, 04:33:59 PM »
Use a wide black fabric, and braid it to the top of the shoulder; then split it out across the back in a 3-fan of straps.  It looks great on the ice - and you could also braid in one strand of green and two strands of black ...

Offline isakswings

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2012, 11:33:44 PM »
Use a wide black fabric, and braid it to the top of the shoulder; then split it out across the back in a 3-fan of straps.  It looks great on the ice - and you could also braid in one strand of green and two strands of black ...

Do you have a picture of a dress with this design? We are still in the design stages of dd's freeskate dress. The above dress is a dress I started making in October. I stopped making it when her partner was injured. Anyway, I LOVE the sound of what you described! In fact, I think I saw something like it at the competition dd was at a couple of weeks ago. I wanted a picture of the straps. LOL! I DID move the straps on this dress after dd tried it on. I'm also going to tie the straps together.

Anyway... I think I am on to something with this dress. :) I go back and forth between having her dress designed to just making it myself with a little assitance from another mom who sews. It certainly will be cheaper for me to do it! Thanks for the feedback. :)

Offline isakswings

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2012, 11:21:08 PM »
Here is another one I made today. It turned out cute. The skirt was a PITB though! I am not sure why since I have used this pattern before. I really like how the back of the skirt looks on this dress. The sweetheart neckline turned out a little odd... I have never made a dress with this kind of neckline.

dd says she is hunchy. LOL

Offline Live2Sk8

• Divot Maker
  • Total GOE: 29
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2012, 10:22:32 AM »
The purple dress is beautiful, too!  I love the sweetheart neckline and the skirt looks so pretty.  Now you've inspired me to want to try a dress again - I've only made one dress but I've made 5 skirts and really like all of them.  Congrats on the new one - it looks wonderful on your daughter and she looks so happy!

Offline momtovanan

• Ice Warrior
  • Total GOE: 3
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2012, 02:18:50 PM »
The purple dress is my favorite. You are very tallented. My mom designed and made my daughter dress also.

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2012, 03:32:33 PM »
I love the purple, and I think the sweetheart neckline looks great.

Offline isakswings

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2012, 09:26:44 PM »
The purple dress is beautiful, too!  I love the sweetheart neckline and the skirt looks so pretty.  Now you've inspired me to want to try a dress again - I've only made one dress but I've made 5 skirts and really like all of them.  Congrats on the new one - it looks wonderful on your daughter and she looks so happy!

Thanks. :) I bet your dress will turn out great! If you have sucessfully made skirts, I bet you will find making a dress to be easier then it was before you made the skirts. For me, the trickiest part has been the elastic! Kwik Sew makes pretty good skating patterns. I love Jalie's patterns too, but the Kwik Sew patterns are the only patterns I can find locally :)

The funny thing about the color of this dress is that the under fabric is pink and the top fabric is black. It gives it a purple-ish look! :) I like this dress a lot!

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 188
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2012, 09:28:45 PM »
Nice color combination!  Beautiful dress and she's not "hunchy."
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline isakswings

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2012, 09:29:17 PM »
The purple dress is my favorite. You are very tallented. My mom designed and made my daughter dress also.

Thanks!! What a nice compliment! :) I am working on learning how to modify and re-design patterns. How fun that your mom could customize a dress for your girl!

Offline isakswings

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2012, 09:31:58 PM »
I love the purple, and I think the sweetheart neckline looks great.

Thanks! I think I am going to remake this dress this weekend. My daughter says this one is a little tight. I like it a lot! I have some black and red stretch lace I may use to make another dress. :)

Offline isakswings

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2012, 09:35:26 PM »
Nice color combination!  Beautiful dress and she's not "hunchy."

Thanks! I really like it. I am thinking this dress could be a pretty test dress. :) I will have to remake it in a larger size though since my daughter says it feels tight!

I didn't think she was hunchy/slouchy either. She just said she was! LOL! Silly girl.

Offline ChristyRN

• Salchow-a-Bunga!
  • Total GOE: 184
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2012, 10:29:46 PM »
  Kwik Sew makes pretty good skating patterns. I love Jalie's patterns too, but the Kwik Sew patterns are the only patterns I can find locally :)

I was going to ask if this was a Kwik Sew.  I have this pattern but haven't used it yet.  I can't find Jalie's either--I have to order them.  I'm getting ready to order two for me and two for one of my skate buddies since they are almost always buy three get one free.
Once in his life, every man is entitled to fall madly in love with one gorgeous redhead.  (Lucille Ball)

Offline isakswings

« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2012, 12:49:21 PM »
I was going to ask if this was a Kwik Sew.  I have this pattern but haven't used it yet.  I can't find Jalie's either--I have to order them.  I'm getting ready to order two for me and two for one of my skate buddies since they are almost always buy three get one free.

Yup... Kwik Sew has been my "go to" pattern company because they are available locally. I wish Jalie's were easier to find locally. The 3 Jalie patterns I have are from another skate mom. She ordered patterns and gave me the "free" pattern. I do wish more companies made skating patterns. The only 3 companies I know who do are: Jalie, Kwik Sew and Specialty Sportswear oh and Butterwick(I think!) has one skating dress pattern. Anyway, good luck with your Jalie patterns when you get them. I really like Jalie!