You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Young Artists Showcase Competition (Skating Choregraphers) Dec 10, 2011  (Read 3320 times)

Offline Query

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
Sort of in connection with my previous post, Audrey and her Grassroots to Champions has sponsored a Young Artist Showcase Competition for choreographers, which will finish off in a final competition/show on December 10, 2011. Everything I have seen so far has been for figure skating choreography.

I'm not sure, but the final competition show may be at Fort Dupont, because it is supposed to be in Washington, D.C. But you can all watch it and the earlier rounds on-line at Youtube (see above link).

The videos, also associated with the ice theater of NY, look really interesting. Cool!

I hope this is the right forum. People skate to the choreography, but AFAICT, the competitors who stand to win a scholarship and have a high profile debut are choreographers, not skaters.

Sorry, it's too late to enter for this event!

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
Re: Young Artists Showcase Competition (Skating Choregraphers) Dec 10, 2011
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2011, 04:37:28 PM »
I think for the most part (at least based on my knowledge of last year, which a local skater was the grassroots winner) is that the choreographers skate most of the pieces, but not all.  They also had to work with a young, beginner skater, and also an experienced skater.  I think the Champions division didn't have as much emphasis on skating their own pieces.

It is a neat competition for sure- but so confusing on how to make sure to see all the entries and vote.  I wish they'd set it up on a blog, rather than just watching on youtube.

Offline Query

• mgrunes.com
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2011, 06:29:29 PM »
I was interested in the choreography and programs, not voting.

I prefer to be more appreciative than critical of this small organization. Some small organizations appreciate suggestions better, if you volunteer to help.

The web page gives an administrative contact, sk8Thelen@aol.com .

Offline Query

• mgrunes.com
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2011, 08:36:31 PM »
Oh my! I can't decide what to do.

Audrey is helping to direct the December 10 Fort Dupont show and the practice sessions leading to it, starting 12/12/2011, which will be combined with the final performance in the Young Artist Showcase Competition. They are looking for volunteers to help teach. It would really be special to help someone like Audrey.

But it is the same time as the adult synchro group I'm wanting to join. It's not fair. Why must everyone do everything Saturday mornings?

Offline Query

• mgrunes.com
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2011, 04:29:00 PM »
Finally got hold of the flyer for the show:

http://mgrunes.com/Young%20Artist%20Showcase%20Flyer.pdf

If you can't read PDFs, it says:

Young Artists Showcase
Finals and Fort Dupont Holiday Ice Show
Presented by Grassroots to Champions

December 10, 2011
11:30 AM - 1:00 PM

Featuring
Finalists from the Young Artists Showcase choreographers contest
Kids On Ice performers
DCIce synchro teams
Nationally ranked G2c skaters
Special guest performers
International Champion Emmanual Savary
Olympic Ice Dancers Melissa Gregory and Denis Petukov

Special Performance by Singer Songwriter Connor Garvey
Free admission. Suggested Donations to support the Kids on Ice program and YAS
Fort Dupont Ice Arena, 3779 Ely Place Southeast, Washington, DC 20019

Sounds well worth watching! If too many people read this, seating may be hard to come by.
I bet only the YAS stuff will be on Youtube.

Offline Query

• mgrunes.com
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2011, 06:03:54 PM »
I watched some of the competition in person last Saturday. Lots of fun! There were many competitors present, in several categories.

All the competitors were themselves pretty good competitive skaters, some of National level, and I think they all skated (sometimes with partners) during part of the competition, which was judged. For an artistic choreography competition, that's a notable barrier to entry.

It was also a chance to catch up with one of my former skating coaches, Jaya Kanal, who wasn't a judge for the final competition, but was a judge for the earlier Internet phase. She thinks shows and ice theater are often more fun to choreograph than competitions, because there are fewer choreography constraints.

I don't think Audrey makes money from this event - donations went to Kids on Ice. Quite a few prominent skating coaches and other people donate their time and sometimes money to the KOI organization, and to this competition. But you couldn't expect quite as well organized a competition or website as ISU and ISU might put together. The music for the final competition was given to the competing choreographers and skaters just 24 hours before the competition. They had to scrabble for choreography and practice ice time at local rinks, e.g., during public sessions.

Imagine trying to create and learn a new routine that fast! Multiply that many times over for Olympic ice dance skaters Gregory and Petukov, who had to skate many choreographer's routines. Wow.

Posted videos of some of the winning competition performances are at

http://www.youtube.com/user/G2CYAS/videos

The KOI Basic 1-8 performances were interesting, within the limits of what could be choreographed at those skating levels.

The DC Edge Synchro teams that performed were interesting too. It's very early in the Synchro season, and the routines weren't polished to full competitive level yet, but I'm sure it was good experience performing before a crowd. I rather liked the rhythm routine (no music) that Emily Mayer choreographed for getting into position on the ice for one of the teams.

At a very approximate guess, 400 - 600 people attended - not too bad for a rink show.

The program ($2) provided nice background bios and pictures of the competitors. The tee-shirts weren't colorful enough for me to buy - and might have given the mis-impression that I competed.

The judges praised the entrants, but also criticized them, within the view and hearing of the entire audience. Not sure how some competitors would feel about that.

I presume there will be another competition next year. Maybe some of you can enter!