You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Blades  (Read 3903 times)

Offline sk8

• Wearing Rental Skates
  • Total GOE: 0
Blades
« on: September 07, 2010, 07:41:13 PM »
Does anyone know what the difference between Cornation Ace and Cornation Comet is?  I know the Cornation Comet has a bigger rocker - I have the Cornation Ace right now but am having a lot of trouble with my back spin entrances... it just takes forever to hit the pick on them and sometimes I never hit it and do a 3-turn to start spinning?
I just got new skates and will probably get new blades soon -- does anyone know if I should stick with the Cornation Ace or switch the the Cornation Comet?
Thanks!

Also does anyone know how to prevent bone spurs?

Offline Sierra

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 97
Re: Blades
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2010, 08:54:51 PM »
The two major differences is the rocker size and toepick cut. The Ace toepicks are cross cut, the Comets are straight cut. Cross cut is supposed to give you more grip on the ice. When I got my Aces, they did feel more grippy, but since the toepick was also much bigger than on my other blades, I can't say whether it was the bigger size or the cross cut picks that made them grippier.

Aces have a 7' rocker, Comets have a 8.5' rocker, which is a huge difference. Most upper level freestyle blades are 8'. Some people hate Comets and some people love them. Going from a 7' rocker to an 8.5' rocker will require a long adjustment period.

Check blade alignment, sharpening & boot size first. (Too long boots can make it impossible to reach the pick for anything.)

(By the way, I thought you were supposed to three turn into spins, not spin off the toepick. Could anyone else clear this up for me?)

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 141
    • Ten Years of Figure Skating Discussions!
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2010, 09:22:10 PM »
Maybe sk8's talking about a change foot or pivot backspin start?  That would use a toepick.  The two main edge-entrance methods are the interrupted three turn and the decreasing edge, but neither uses a toepick. 

To prevent bone spurs, buy good skates that fit properly, take care of them and rebuild/replace them before the padding wears out.  A shock-absorbing insole helps tremendously, as do orthotics.
-- Isk8NYC --
"I like to skate on the other side of the ice." - Comedian Steven Wright

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2010, 09:26:30 PM »
From what I understand from archived posts, Comet will require better spin technique as it's harder to find the sweet spot. Also seemingly it's easier to transtion from Comet to higher level blades compared to Ace, but both should last you through doubles.

Offline Lateskate

• Wearing Rental Skates
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2010, 03:10:18 PM »
 :)
Hi,
I just got Coronation Comet blades, and my impression is that they glide farther per stroke and seem more stabile than a 7' rocker blade (which I had before). They are not as easy to initiate a spin on, but once spinning, they provide a more stabile sense upright than a 7' rocker.

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
  • Location: An arena, of course. More specifically, a Canadian arena.
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2010, 04:01:36 PM »
Comets are straight cut picks, Ace cross-cut picks.  Comets are supposed to be "more similar" to Pattern 99, and Aces "more similar" to Gold Seals, or so I've been told. I do know that transitioning from Aces to Gold Seals is easier than Comets to Gold Seals; thus, the question is also, do you plan on moving to the Gold Seal level at any point?

Offline sk8

• Wearing Rental Skates
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2010, 01:05:11 PM »
To prevent bone spurs, buy good skates that fit properly, take care of them and rebuild/replace them before the padding wears out.  A shock-absorbing insole helps tremendously, as do orthotics.

I have superfeet and they helped a bit but it is still rubbing on my heals.  I have ridells and they fit really well, except for the heals!  I tried the graf galaxy boot for a bit but they were a horrible fit all around for my feet!  They were suppose to help my bone spurs, except my feet were in excruciating agony all around after wearing them, and they didn't seem to be breaking in at all.  The only good thing about the graf galaxy skates were the landings - they seemed to be less painful on my heals and almost smoother/gliding more.  I love my Riedells I think they are the LS 2010 (the ones with the low backs), except when I land on these my heals burn and my landings seem to fall apart (probably b/c of the pain)?  I don't know why the landings are so much worse on the Riedells... are superfeet shock absorbing insoles?  If not where can you get shock-absorbing insoles?!
Thanks!
Jill.