You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Superfeet  (Read 3900 times)

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
Superfeet
« on: September 05, 2011, 05:11:41 PM »
Well, since I lost my left orthotic on my vacation, I had to find a replacement. So after skating on the bare bottom of the skate for a few hours, I learned there's a reason for insoles.  I went and bought some yellow Superfeet insoles "for hockey players and figure skaters". They're $40 a pair.  This is my evaluation.

1.the heel part of the insole should fit in the heel of your boot. If it doesn't fit, return them.
2. you'll need to trim the forefoot of the insole. The forefoot is designed for people with broad feet, or hockey boots. You can do this with ordinary scissors. It helps to have the old insole as a pattern. Since I didn't have that, I flipped over the right insole so I had a pattern.
3. The main advantage of the super feet insoles is that they have a relatively stiff heel counter. This means that the heel of the insole gently pushes the bottom of the foot in so that you have more cushioning under the heel.
4. I'm not quite happy with the angle of the insole. This is personal, but the support under the insole is sufficiently stiff that I can insert spacers underneath it to angle it. The under sole (the stiff plastic support) is designed so that air can circulate underneath. Unlike other super feet products the under sole is not flat, it has little ridges to give the sweat from your feet an opportunity to evaporate rather than mildew.

Overall, I'm satisfied with this purchase and think it's worth the $40 investment. We'll see how long they last, but they appear to be sufficiently sturdy to last 6 months to a year.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
Re: Superfeet
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2011, 06:04:40 PM »
I've had mine for nearly 2 years IIRC, still going strong.
The pro shop trimmed them for me.

Offline KillianL

• Beware the Bars of Death!
  • Total GOE: 2
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2011, 11:25:40 PM »
I'm a big fan of Superfeet insoles.  I've used them for the entire duration of my skating career (2.5 years).  I even had a foot doctor make me orthotics at one point, but they didn't feel as comfortable and stable as the Superfeet.  I foresee continue to use them into the future.

If you have a wider foot (and obviously a wide enough skate), consider going up one size up compared to what the box suggests you need.  I needed a C per the box, but on my last pair I sized up to a D and found this conferred more arch support, which I like.  The size C Superfeet were handed down to my sister, since they still had plenty of life left.

I picked mine up here http://www.feetrelief.com/feetrelief/superfeet.htm for $35.95 with shipping FOC.

Interesting, AgnessNitt, you don't like the angle... I don't either, I feel like it cants me a bit to my inside edges.  But I always attributed that to me being a pronator.  Have you had luck with wedging or posting or are you doing something different?

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2011, 11:41:42 PM »
I plan to cut up some gel heel supports and slip one piece under the inside back heel of the super foot insole.

These gel heel supports have a nice wedge shape and are easy to cut. If they don't work ( too squishy ) , then I'll use the solid spacers I can cut from stiff furniture protectors ( a wood/ felt combo- yes I do hang out at hardware stores ) .  I've had luck with the stff spacer with my old orthotics

I've come to the opinion that the skater needs to make the simple orthotics adjustments themselves unless they have some  serious foot issue ( see Elaine Zayak). This is my method. I guess I should make a video.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline Sk8Dreams

• CER-B
  • Quintuple Salflutzchow
  • Total GOE: 70
  • On Edge
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2011, 02:18:33 PM »
I also got mine online for $35 with free shipping.  They are a huge improvement on the "orthotic" insoles that came with my Edea boots.  My only complaint is that the front is hard and the balls of my feet really feel it.  I bought some gel pads for the ball of the foot and will try them this weekend. 
My glass is half full :)