You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: What Should I Wear for a Test Session  (Read 4749 times)

Offline Icicle

• Pairs Partner
  • Total GOE: 7
What Should I Wear for a Test Session
« on: July 21, 2011, 07:58:58 PM »
I'm about to test my pre-bronze moves. I don't own a skating dress, and I hate investing a lot of money into one at this point. At the same time, I want to look professional. Would a black wrap skirt over a pair of black leotards be appropriate? What did you wear when you got tested?

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
Re: What Should I Wear for a Test Session
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2011, 08:16:54 PM »
I bought an inexpensive skating dress off of ebay for my very first test.  However, I think your plan is fine, pre-bronze moves is low enough level that they don't expect you to be decked out in "skater gear", just look nice and presentable.     

I think some people have done tests in leggings, but judges seem to like to see a skirt. 

Good luck!

Offline ChristyRN

• Salchow-a-Bunga!
  • Total GOE: 184
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2011, 08:41:30 PM »
I wore a velvet dress I got off EBay for ~$35.  It was so cold in the rink that they told us to leave our sweaters and gloves on. 

Once in his life, every man is entitled to fall madly in love with one gorgeous redhead.  (Lucille Ball)

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 188
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2011, 08:47:39 PM »
I wore black stretch pants and a long sweater that came down past my hips.
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline hopskipjump

• BladeLock
  • Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 59
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2011, 09:21:04 PM »
Dd wears a simple black skate dress.  We were told no flash, just simple and dark.

Your plan sounds great.

Offline CaraSkates

• Doing the Fiesta Tangle!
  • Total GOE: 367
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2011, 09:36:21 PM »
That would be fine for a Pre-Bronze MIF test. Around here, the skaters wear jackets at the lower levels (through Pre-Juv ish) for MIF and gloves almost all the way up - I wore black gloves to test Novice last summer and I'm planning on wearing them when I test Junior. Moves tests tend to have more understated outfits then freestyle or dance - darker colors, simple dresses, etc.

I however am planning on wearing the same hot pink and black dress I wore for Novice for Junior :) It's my favorite, it makes me happy and then I skate better. Whatever you decide to wear should make you feel comfortable, confident and beautiful. :)

Offline Kim to the Max

• Ice is the Vice
  • Total GOE: 72
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2011, 09:46:16 PM »
I usually wear a simple (cheap), understated, dress for moves tests. However, for Senior, I gave coach a choice between 2 show dresses and a plain purple dress and she said one of the two show dresses. I have a dress that I would have loved to wear, but I don't have the time, money, or the actual stones to do it the way I want to (I want to do fire opals, and I currently don't own any in the size I want).

The two show dresses, while flashy, are appropriate for a Senior test, I think.

But at the pre-Bronze level, a simple (cheap) dress or leggings (in pristine condition) and a wrap skirt should be fine. When in doubt, ask your coach what the expectation and unwritten rules at your club, and the club you are testing at are.

Offline Clarice

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 68
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2011, 10:09:16 PM »
In my area, the black leotard and wrap skirt you have suggested is practically the uniform for compulsory dance tests at all levels.  It will be fine for your Moves test.  The judges want you to be warm and comfortable, and you don't want to wear anything that will distract them from your skating.  Gloves and a sweater are perfectly acceptable if you're cold.

Offline Icicle

• Pairs Partner
  • Total GOE: 7
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2011, 12:13:25 AM »
Thank you all for the great suggestions. I orderered a cheap dress from ebay - just $30. Of course, I'm not sure about the size. I'm pretty tall - 5.8, so I ordered an extra large. But then it'll probably be too big for me because my regular clothes are either small or medium. So alterations will probably have to be made, but at least, it won't be too short.

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
  • Total GOE: 49
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2011, 04:51:14 AM »
Thank you all for the great suggestions. I orderered a cheap dress from ebay - just $30. Of course, I'm not sure about the size. I'm pretty tall - 5.8, so I ordered an extra large. But then it'll probably be too big for me because my regular clothes are either small or medium. So alterations will probably have to be made, but at least, it won't be too short.

I suspect you'll discover extra large fits just fine. Most of the sizing on skating dresses is making sure it's long enough in the girth. It just feels wrong when you're normally buying small to have to order extra-large!

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2012, 11:29:32 AM »
In my area, the black leotard and wrap skirt you have suggested is practically the uniform for compulsory dance tests at all levels.  It will be fine for your Moves test. 

The exact same thing dance coach suggested!

Offline JSM

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 39
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2012, 11:49:02 AM »
This comes at a great time!  My coach thinks I'll be ready to test Novice moves in August or September (I'm thinking September, haha), and she said any dress would be fine.  I really only have competition dresses, but she said because neither of my dresses are overly fancy (even though they are stoned), either would be appropriate.

Ideally a plain dress would be better, but since I don't have any, she said not to worry about buying something new.  Testing is expensive enough as it is!

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2012, 11:57:57 AM »
But if the standard is minimalistic plain dress, does it even have to be skating / dance specific? Would everyday apparel like simple black dress + booty shorts be OK?

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2012, 12:33:48 PM »
But if the standard is minimalistic plain dress, does it even have to be skating / dance specific? Would everyday apparel like simple black dress + booty shorts be OK?

For dance I've seen people wear everyday apparel (for competitions), but I've never seen it for moves.  I think on a high level test like novice, it would stand out even more as being strange. I'd sooner just wear leggings (skating practice clothes) if I had no skate dress option, though that too would be unusual.

Most kids I've seen doing novice and higher moves do it in whatever their most recent competition dress was, since no one seems to wear practice dresses anymore.  Judges don't seem to have a problem with it, because they know the kid didn't spend any money on a fancy dress for the test session, they are just wearing what they have.

Offline CaraSkates

• Doing the Fiesta Tangle!
  • Total GOE: 367
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2012, 02:15:34 PM »
For dance I've seen people wear everyday apparel (for competitions), but I've never seen it for moves.  I think on a high level test like novice, it would stand out even more as being strange. I'd sooner just wear leggings (skating practice clothes) if I had no skate dress option, though that too would be unusual.

Most kids I've seen doing novice and higher moves do it in whatever their most recent competition dress was, since no one seems to wear practice dresses anymore.  Judges don't seem to have a problem with it, because they know the kid didn't spend any money on a fancy dress for the test session, they are just wearing what they have.

In my area, moves dresses are usually pretty basic - it's only been a few years since GK stopped making skating dresses and their headquarters are only 45 mins from my club (along with the GK outlet which may even still have dresses, it's been a while since I've been there) so if the skater doesn't have a plain dress of their own, chances are an older skater or coach has one for them to borrow. Rinks in this region are pretty cold so if the test is in fall or winter it's likely the skaters will be wearing a jacket and gloves for the test. Once you get up to Novice/Junior/Senior moves, it's time to step it up and usually a competition dress (as long as it isn't an obvious theme) is worn.

For dance, I've seen skaters test in everything from freestyle dresses to fancy dance dresses with stones. I've been to many many test sessions and at least in this region, never seen anyone (excluding men and boys!) test in pants. That would probably get a few looks around here just because of our region.

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2012, 04:35:31 PM »
For dance I've seen people wear everyday apparel (for competitions), but I've never seen it for moves.

I was mostly thinking beginner dance. Glad to hear others got away without real investment lol. I know I have a black flowy skirt somewhere and tons of black tops.

ETA: I think I'm set. Hope it looks ok under rink lighting and dance coach does not object.