You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Competition trophies and medals?  (Read 2876 times)

Offline skatingpasty

• Wobbling on new skates
  • Total GOE: 4
Competition trophies and medals?
« on: June 26, 2011, 05:46:02 PM »
I haven't competed in a competition yet, not even like a basic skills one, I think I might wait until i have my axel before competing.

Anyway those who have competed in one, two, however many competitions, did you go home with something you were proud of (other than your skating of course) like a first,second,third place trophy or medal? Even if you didn't make the podium did you go home with a prize.

I'm just curious as the little kiddies at my rink talk about their trophies they won in little competitions and was just wondering does generally every competition give out prizes :P
Working on...
Ⓢⓟⓘⓝⓢ: flying camel, back camel, back sit, layback, change camel/sit, combination spins
Ⓙⓤⓜⓟⓢ: axel preparation
ⓕⓘⓔⓛⓓ ⓜⓞⓥⓔⓢ: Level 1,2 and 3

Offline icefrog

• Flippin' Flutzstrated
  • Total GOE: 8
Re: Competition trophies and medals?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2011, 11:29:38 PM »
Everyone leaves with something at a Basic Skills or ISI competition. At non qualifying club comps usually 1-4 place gets a trophy or medal. Lots of competitions give gifts like towels, water bottles, bags, or just a granola bar to competitors. This is common where I live I'm not sure if its a regional thing.

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2011, 08:13:12 AM »
I have competed at a few ISI competitions and come home with a bundle of medals- you get them for placement, and for participating.
My recent USFS competition I placed in both of my events, so I got medals.  I thought they were really nice though because it looked like they were handing out ribbons to non-placing participants.  I don't think all competitions do that.

I think trophies are rare in skating- usually only for the upper level events, if at all.

I've also gotten goodie bags at most competitions: usually a bottle of water, and maybe some sort of snack, and then something like gloves or a pen, just little things.  Tourist information too for the big competitions like synchro nationals.

Offline hopskipjump

• BladeLock
  • Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 59
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2011, 01:08:17 PM »
For ISI dd gets a trophy or medal (depends on the comp - it's all medals or all trophies).  There are never more than 5 competing in an event.
For USFS it looks like trophy or medal for 1st-4th, nothing for 5th on.

Some have goody bags and some don't,  Most give a luggage tag and or towel but some give nothing.

Offline skatingpasty

• Wobbling on new skates
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2011, 04:40:56 PM »
I bet you's all have lot's of little medals and trophies, pretty cool.
I don't think i'll ever be able to compete, my coach said I've left it too late, i'm 15, shame :(

Are there any adults who've competed in competitions recently?
Working on...
Ⓢⓟⓘⓝⓢ: flying camel, back camel, back sit, layback, change camel/sit, combination spins

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2011, 04:48:41 PM »
Tons of adults skate in competition!  I just did my first USFS competition at 29.
I think my first ISI competition I was 26 or 27.  There is even an ISU sanctioned international competition for adults of all levels.

If you are in the United States, you're kind of at an ackward position though, as you are too young for adult competition (you either have to be 18 or 21...not sure which), but if you are lower level you'll likely be skating against very tiny children... (I've actually done that too- it's ackward to win, and ackward to lose)  If you can manage to get to open-juvenile that's a good place for people your age to start competiting, because none of the really little kids can be in the level (they'll just be in juvenile).  Some competitions will offer open pre-juv which is even better, because you don't need to be tested so high to compete.  I know a 22 year old man who competed open-juv.  Open juvenile you must be at least 13.

I don't know how other countries handle adult competitions.

Offline skatingpasty

• Wobbling on new skates
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2011, 10:53:41 AM »
Tons of adults skate in competition!  I just did my first USFS competition at 29.
I think my first ISI competition I was 26 or 27.  There is even an ISU sanctioned international competition for adults of all levels.

If you are in the United States, you're kind of at an ackward position though, as you are too young for adult competition (you either have to be 18 or 21...not sure which), but if you are lower level you'll likely be skating against very tiny children... (I've actually done that too- it's ackward to win, and ackward to lose)  If you can manage to get to open-juvenile that's a good place for people your age to start competiting, because none of the really little kids can be in the level (they'll just be in juvenile).  Some competitions will offer open pre-juv which is even better, because you don't need to be tested so high to compete.  I know a 22 year old man who competed open-juv.  Open juvenile you must be at least 13.

I don't know how other countries handle adult competitions.

I'm in UK but I presume there will be adult competitions here I reckon, not just at the higher levels.
I can land all my single jumps (except axel) and can do upright, scratch, sit and camel spin. Also three turns, backward three turns, mowhawks etc.
I'm not sure what level I'm in on the USFSA system, I think I may be past the basic skills (i hope :P)

But my coach says I've left it too late to be competing, I don't know if he means at big competitions or locally, he wasn't specific. But I know of a few adults who are slightly better than me who are competing around the country at competitions (some are in their late twenties and have only been skating a couple of years)
Working on...

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2011, 11:08:38 AM »
In the US you would probably be pre-preliminary or preliminary, so you'd most likely have to compete against young kids :(

There are adults on this forum in the UK who compete...hopefully they will see this thread and chime in on what the age minimum for adult competition is. At least in the US, adult competition is for adults who are good skaters AND not very good skaters - everyone can participate.

Offline Hanca

• Prerotation Society
  • Total GOE: 9
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2011, 11:27:09 AM »
I'm in UK but I presume there will be adult competitions here I reckon, not just at the higher levels.
I can land all my single jumps (except axel) and can do upright, scratch, sit and camel spin. Also three turns, backward three turns, mowhawks etc.
I'm not sure what level I'm in on the USFSA system, I think I may be past the basic skills (i hope :P)

But my coach says I've left it too late to be competing, I don't know if he means at big competitions or locally, he wasn't specific. But I know of a few adults who are slightly better than me who are competing around the country at competitions (some are in their late twenties and have only been skating a couple of years)

I am in the UK too. For the adult competitions you are too young. But you can compete on any open. My friend is 19 and she competes at opens with kids because she is still too young for adults. I know it sounds awful to be competing against kids, but the categories are not only according to the level, but also according to age - she was with 13 and above, so there is obviously age difference but not so huge. (in the adult category you sometimes compete against skaters 10-15 years older or younger, so skating with 6 years younger children is not as bad as it sounds).

Adult competitions are usually with levels pre-bronze, bronze, silver, gold, masters. You would fit into pre-bronze or bronze. The bigger competitions are split into age categories.

Children's competitions are usually according to NISA test levels. If there is enough participants, they split it to age categories. If you haven't done any tests, your category would be called beginners.

Offline skatingpasty

• Wobbling on new skates
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2011, 01:14:31 PM »
I'm hoping to do NISA level 1 soon - maybe in the next few years as our rink doesn't allow us to do them until you get to certain group class level - i get private lessons as well as group lessons
I heard you can compete in the NISA competitions, my coach says like level 1 you are only allowed to do up to loop jump and can't do any combination spins, and level 3 you can do up to axel I think?
Hopefully I'll be able to compete in these someday :P
Working on...