You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Wow... my dd is SO close to double axel I was astounded m  (Read 2121 times)

Offline jumpingbeansmom

• Wearing Blade Guards on the Ice
  • Total GOE: 60
Wow... my dd is SO close to double axel I was astounded m
« on: June 20, 2011, 12:12:27 PM »
and it is a big one too.... she did it today with the fishing pole harness-- but unbeknownst to her, the coach detached one whole side of it.    :o

Offline momtovanan

• Ice Warrior
  • Total GOE: 3
Re: Wow... my dd is SO close to double axel I was astounded m
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2011, 12:19:50 PM »
That is awesome! Congratulations to your daughter. It is a huge accomplishment.

Offline jumpingbeansmom

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2011, 01:18:02 PM »
That is awesome! Congratulations to your daughter. It is a huge accomplishment.

I agree, and she is only 10 years old.

Offline isakswings

• Carrying Baton for Yelling At Hockey Boys
  • Total GOE: 22
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2011, 01:21:28 PM »
WOW! She is really coming along fast! I swear she was just in pre-pre a couple of years ago right? Good job and congrats to your daughter! She sounds like a talented and determined girl!

Offline jumpingbeansmom

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2011, 01:25:14 PM »
WOW! She is really coming along fast! I swear she was just in pre-pre a couple of years ago right? Good job and congrats to your daughter! She sounds like a talented and determined girl!

Yes, she was in pre-pre 1.5 years ago.   She has learned double sal through double lutz, all her double double combinations and now double axel between February of 2010 and now.   She actually came close to a triple sal last week too.

Offline jumpingbeansmom

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2011, 02:08:20 PM »
She landed a couple today about 1/8 of the way underrotated...every day she gets closer.

Offline davincisop

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 162
  • 2017 Goal: Pass Bronze Dances
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2011, 02:54:15 PM »
Can you say future Olympian??? Congratulations, that's SO awesome. :)

Offline Clarice

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 68
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2011, 03:06:13 PM »
That IS awesome, and congratulations to your daughter, but, please, do not say "future Olympian".  If she's only 10, a lot can and will change as she grows older and her body matures.  I've seen too many kids come along strong only to lose jumps and motivation when they hit puberty.  Certainly being able to do them now is an advantage, but not a guarantee.  It's far, far too soon to be able to predict any kind of future success at this point.  My advice would be for you and her to enjoy the ride wherever it takes you, and celebrate the progress as it comes!

Offline jumpingbeansmom

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2011, 05:46:53 PM »
That IS awesome, and congratulations to your daughter, but, please, do not say "future Olympian".  If she's only 10, a lot can and will change as she grows older and her body matures.  I've seen too many kids come along strong only to lose jumps and motivation when they hit puberty.  Certainly being able to do them now is an advantage, but not a guarantee.  It's far, far too soon to be able to predict any kind of future success at this point.  My advice would be for you and her to enjoy the ride wherever it takes you, and celebrate the progress as it comes!

We help her make little goals.... her current goal is to make the finals at regionals (I think her coach is more thinking making nationals- but she would just like to be in the running at Regionals this year!).    We never talk about things like the Olympics at home... well except about the ACTUAL Olympics, not about her going!!   :o

Offline isakswings

• Carrying Baton for Yelling At Hockey Boys
  • Total GOE: 22
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2011, 08:54:57 PM »
Yes, she was in pre-pre 1.5 years ago.   She has learned double sal through double lutz, all her double double combinations and now double axel between February of 2010 and now.   She actually came close to a triple sal last week too.

That is GREAT! My girl is working on doubles now. She landed a few double toes on Monday. :) She has to work on her check outs off ice. She isn't allowed to work on her doubles on ice without her coach until her check outs improve. She can do the prep stuff but not the actual jumps on ice. She can practice jumping HUGE singles to prepare for the doubles but she is off ice for now. LOL! Anyway, I was excited for her. Soon enough. My girl is about 3 yrs older then yours(just turned 13) and the puberty monster slowed things down some for her. Can you say frustration? LOL! That said, I am happy your daughter is doing so well. It is fun to watch them progress!!