You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Clinic Etiquette  (Read 1910 times)

Offline davincisop

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 162
  • 2017 Goal: Pass Bronze Dances
Clinic Etiquette
« on: June 14, 2011, 01:16:14 PM »
There is a clinic going on at my rink tonight that can't hurt me to take and I'd be taking it with a friend of mine, however I don't know the etiquette involved, as in do I have to ask my coach permission to take the clinic or just take it. I think she will be there observing anyways because she will be watching coaching style and coaching tips and such, but I don't want to show up and her tell me I couldn't take the clinic. The guest coaches are not allowed to work on jump technique with us because they teach the litz technique, but they'll be working on power stroking and such.

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
Re: Clinic Etiquette
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2011, 01:47:20 PM »
Hmmm interesting. I do remember coaches running private summer camps at our rink saying private coach's permission is required before signing up for the camp.

Would a clinic be viewed as semi-private or group lesson? I would treat this clinic like any group lesson, something nice to have a discussion about but does require private coach's permission.

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2011, 01:54:19 PM »
I would tell your coach you are planning on attending the clinic.
Not so much ask permission, more just inform.  If the coach has serious reservations about it, s/he could then ask you not to attend, and then give you reasons why.  If you "ask" it leaves a much bigger space for him/her to say no without a good reason.

I think, based on the "rules" of the skating world, it would be bad form to go to the clinic without your coach knowing.

What is the litz technique? I'm curious as to why guest coaches would be told they cannot work on jumps.

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 141
    • Ten Years of Figure Skating Discussions!
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2011, 02:04:56 PM »
http://files.leagueathletics.com/Images/Club/2989/TomLitz_TriFold%5B1%5D.pdf

Doesn't explain much, but apparently Litz has a different technique that makes going from a Waltz jump to a double Axel very easy, or so the brochure says.
-- Isk8NYC --
"I like to skate on the other side of the ice." - Comedian Steven Wright

Offline davincisop

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • 2017 Goal: Pass Bronze Dances
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2011, 02:19:32 PM »
I called my coach and left a message. I'm sure she will be fine with it since she's observing the clinic anyways, but you all are right, it's good to just let her know. :)  Plus it's a cool opportunity that can only help my skating. My friend and I will probably be the oldest ones there. Unfortunately this could mean a crowded public session afterwards.... eek!

And from what I understand of the litz technique, it's just a very different technique from what our coaches teach and our skating director would rather our tiny skaters not get confused being shown two different techniques and have them think one or another is wrong yada yada yada.  I think if the coach requests then the guest coach can critique the jumps, but they are not allowed to teach the jumps. I think they're not supposed to tackle spins either. They will be tackling choreography, artistry in motion, form, etc. :)

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2011, 05:00:39 PM »
Just a note of humor from me. I told my coach I was going to Lake Placid for Adult Skate Week and he asked, "Why do you want to do that?"

I dunno, maybe he figures I could stay home and take lessons all week and save money.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2011, 06:25:47 PM »
Your coach would be right. You would save a lot that way. But there are definetly advantages to clinics and adult.weeks.