You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Deep Skating Thoughts ...  (Read 1588 times)

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 188
Deep Skating Thoughts ...
« on: June 10, 2011, 09:39:53 PM »
Today, I was talking to someone about the different events at the non-qualifying competitions and it struck me that there are so many more events in those competitions than at the highest levels of qualifying comps.

Senior: Short and Long program, do or die, lol.  Maybe a qualifying round.  I know that Adult Sectionals and Nationals has Artistic, but no SP.

Freeskate 3: Artistic, Showcase, Interpretive, Compulsory, Free Skate and maybe a few more.

Just a thought.
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
Re: Deep Skating Thoughts ...
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2011, 12:45:57 AM »
Interesting. To me it sort of explains the fundamental difference between the mission of USFS and ISI.

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
Re: Deep Skating Thoughts ...
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2011, 07:51:49 AM »
But USFS offers tons of events for low level skaters too. Now, not the 19 that one skater at our rink is doing at isi worlds, but I could have entered 5 events at a recent Usfsa competition.  Plus they have entire events like National Showcase dedicated to artistic skaters.  So I think USFS is trying to dig further into ISI's market.

Elite skaters don't compete artistic programs (unless they go to specific competitions for that), but most have to keep an exhibition program current. You always get a story of someone choreograping in the hotel the night before though.  I think the fundamental reason is that elite skaters are skating for a specific purpose: to represent their country, win medals, make it to Worlds/Olympics.  By that point, I hope all are still having fun, but it has become a job.  Lower level skaters may aspire to make it to that, but the skating organizations have to keep them interested: make it fun.  All the additional events are fun, and it gives skaters a reason to keep practicing.  

Besides, after watching a low level senior man train a long program, I can see why 2 is enough. It looks killer.