You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Strength Training and conditioning  (Read 3384 times)

Offline isakswings

• Carrying Baton for Yelling At Hockey Boys
  • Total GOE: 22
Strength Training and conditioning
« on: June 06, 2011, 03:14:01 PM »
This summer, dd's rink has a stength and conditioning coach/trainer offering sessions to our skaters. My daughter as well as many other skaters are doing this. She has had an evaluation and has had one training session thus far. The sessions will go into the first week in August. She attends sessions twice a week for 1 hour each time. The trainer is targeting specific areas that dd needs to strengthen. In her case, she needs to gain some core and upper body strength. The trainer keeps the sessions small, so she can focus on each skater. She does this so that each skater gets the most benefit possible out of the session. I really like her and I think my daughter will grow a lot from this expereince. The trainer has already said she thinks my daughter is stronger then she realizes she is and she is excited to see her progress and gain more strength as well as confidence. Has any one else had their skater participate in training like this? It is off ice/dry land, but a little different then my daughter's coach usually does with the kids. If so, have you seen results from a more intense program? She said we will likely start to see some improvement at the 6 week mark. Of coarse, results will depend on my daughter too. She has to put forth the effort needed to build more strength. :) Just curious what others have done or are doing with their skaters.

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
  • Location: An arena, of course. More specifically, a Canadian arena.
  • Total GOE: 143
Re: Strength Training and conditioning
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2011, 05:25:57 PM »
Standard offering at our rink. It works,  if the instructor knows what s/he is doing; can adapt to varying ages; and is most effective if the instructor knows the specific demands of figure skating.

During summer intensity ramps up, and we usually see the benefits at about week 2; but, that's because it's part of the entire periodization leading up to the competitive season, and everything is building at that point.  Post competitive season it ramps down as part of the planned training cycle.

The "gap"between sessions in your program is different from our program ... we do it more regularly, and sessions target different areas in a planned sequence ... it's daily for at least and hour ... but they don't do, say, upper body every day, it's all planned and executed. The kids are also grouped in our program in terms of "skating and athletic maturity level" so that younger kids/less athletic kids aren't struggling to keep up with kids further along the continuum.

Some kids really like it, some don't; a lot depends on the instructor ... and whether the kid likes this sort of stuff and/or sees the benefit.

Offline isakswings

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2011, 11:39:26 AM »
Standard offering at our rink. It works,  if the instructor knows what s/he is doing; can adapt to varying ages; and is most effective if the instructor knows the specific demands of figure skating.

During summer intensity ramps up, and we usually see the benefits at about week 2; but, that's because it's part of the entire periodization leading up to the competitive season, and everything is building at that point.  Post competitive season it ramps down as part of the planned training cycle.

The "gap"between sessions in your program is different from our program ... we do it more regularly, and sessions target different areas in a planned sequence ... it's daily for at least and hour ... but they don't do, say, upper body every day, it's all planned and executed. The kids are also grouped in our program in terms of "skating and athletic maturity level" so that younger kids/less athletic kids aren't struggling to keep up with kids further along the continuum.

Some kids really like it, some don't; a lot depends on the instructor ... and whether the kid likes this sort of stuff and/or sees the benefit.

This is the first time they've offered this at our rink. We have a very small figure skating club. The rink caters more to hockey then figure skating. The instructor is very good. I know she is doing a variety of things. She is targeting secific things with each kid BUT they are working on the over all body too. Kids are grouped according to ability for the reasons you mentioned. She has worked with many athletes and seems to be in tune to their individuality too. My daughter needs to work on visualization too, so she is working on that with her as well. I am excited to see how this goes. Dd seems to really like it. I may put her in a pointe class for figure skaters too. Then she will have some sort of off ice training 3 days a week for 3 hours total each week. So dd will have about 8 hours on the ice and 3 off each week. I think that is pleanty for a pre-pre skater working on doubles and landing axels(most days...lol). :)

Offline MadMac

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 38
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2011, 05:42:20 PM »
A pointe class for figure skaters? interesting . . . how does pointe work compliment figure skating? Ballet or any dance in general is very helpful for the strength, grace and body awareness it develops, but personally I have also found a lot of my strict ballet training (constant turnout, spotting turns, etc) had to be "overcome" for skating. So where does pointe training fit in? It took me seemingly forever to learn to spin flatfooted rather than the ends of the toes or demi-pointe

Offline Skate@Delaware

• Chock Full of Lilty Goodness
  • Total GOE: 61
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2011, 09:39:51 AM »
We have a combo class (it's new this year)-conditioning & ballet. Ballet for the first 30 minutes followed by conditioning. Both are taught by skating coaches and geared to the level of the skaters in the class.  The ballet was very nice, and emphasized artisic arms and basic positions (turn-out wasn't encouraged because that is counter-productive to skating).  The conditioning focused on core and off-ice jumps. Even the girls that weren't jumping were included and given instructions that would help them.  The girls were also instructed to do the exercises several times per week in their own time.  The only part that didn't seem to work right was the cardio using a jump rope. Many of the girls spent too much time fussing with their ropes and ended up standing around or sitting down out of frustration (really, do girls NOT KNOW how to jump rope anymore?).  I thought it was a good class.
Avoiding the Silver Moves Mohawk click-of-death!!!

Offline Schmeck

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 13
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2011, 09:51:43 AM »
A pointe class for figure skaters? interesting . . . how does pointe work compliment figure skating? Ballet or any dance in general is very helpful for the strength, grace and body awareness it develops, but personally I have also found a lot of my strict ballet training (constant turnout, spotting turns, etc) had to be "overcome" for skating. So where does pointe training fit in? It took me seemingly forever to learn to spin flatfooted rather than the ends of the toes or demi-pointe

My thoughts too - pointe is such a specific concentration - and it builds a very specific set of muscles a very certain way.  I know one girl who had to stop doing pointe because it really, really messed up her legs for gymnastics.  Pointe shoes also do a number on your toes and feet - I'd think it would be the last style of dance that would show any benefit to a skater.  My younger daughter also had difficulty transitioning between dance and skating, so much so, that she dropped the skating and stayed with dance.  Of course there are many benefits from dance when it comes to figure skating, but pointe doesn't seem to be one to me.  (And yes, the spotting turns thing drove my daughter nuts too!)

Offline isakswings

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2011, 09:54:41 PM »

Honestly, I don't know. I talked to the instructor and that is what she told me. Perhaps I am mis-informed and it is more like you say? I know she is requiring ballet shoes for the class. I really don't know. The class hasn't started yet so I have no clear idea on what is being taught. Having never danced myself, I really don't know what anything is in Ballet. :)

Offline isakswings

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2011, 09:56:30 PM »
My thoughts too - pointe is such a specific concentration - and it builds a very specific set of muscles a very certain way.  I know one girl who had to stop doing pointe because it really, really messed up her legs for gymnastics.  Pointe shoes also do a number on your toes and feet - I'd think it would be the last style of dance that would show any benefit to a skater.  My younger daughter also had difficulty transitioning between dance and skating, so much so, that she dropped the skating and stayed with dance.  Of course there are many benefits from dance when it comes to figure skating, but pointe doesn't seem to be one to me.  (And yes, the spotting turns thing drove my daughter nuts too!)

I think I must have misinderstood her. She isn't requiring pointe shoes just ballet shoes. I talked to her awhile ago(a mo maybe?) so maybe I am mixing things up! :)

Offline MimiG

• CER-A
  • Intergalactic Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 64
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2011, 10:38:57 PM »
A ballet school here offers a "Ballet for Figure Skaters" class. I've heard good things about it, and it sounds like they mostly focus on carriage, balance & extension.

Offline rsk8d

• Homologating Quadrubles
  • Total GOE: 12
    • Sk8Strong
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2011, 09:38:31 PM »
Keep at the strength training, and the amount you are doing is just fine. Also, it's important that your daughter is working with a strength and conditioning coach and has had an individualized evaluation.  She will get much, much more out of it by working with someone qualified. Have her keep up with it regularly and you will definately see progress! :)
Visit www.sk8strong.com for off-ice training information, DVDs and more

Offline Schmeck

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 13
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2011, 06:44:46 AM »
Ballet for figure skaters - now that makes sense!  Having a class that concentrates on figure skaters' dance needs is awesome, as many conflicts between techniques can be eliminated.

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2011, 11:21:03 AM »
Ballet teachers always say that ballet is great for figure skaters, but figure skating is horrible for ballerinas! 

I would think that a ballet for figure skaters class would focus more on the things a skater needs to develop, and less on what a ballet dancer does- the muscle use really is different. 

Katherine Healy is very much an exception to the rule (beautiful ballerina, great figure skater) but for most figure skaters pointe is not a good idea, as mentioned the muscle set is different.  Not to mention, to be on pointe at a responsible studio, you really need to be doing 3 90-minute technique classes a week, plus your pointe classes.  Pointe work should not be given to someone just taking a little ballet, nor to a young dancer whose feet are not developed. The time commitment is really large to someone only doing ballet for a secondary hobby. 

I'm interested to know what gets done in the 30-minute ballet component of the mentioned "ballet and conditioning" off-ice class.  In 30 minutes my ballet classes are generally not even done with barre yet.

Offline isakswings

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2011, 11:44:41 AM »
I thought she said pointe... but like I said, I could be mixing things up a bit too. :) I am sure she will work on carriage and arms too. I am not sure really. Thanks!

Offline isakswings

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2011, 11:49:00 AM »
Barre...THAT's what she said she was going to do. Barre, NOT pointe. See... I told you I got mixed up. LOL! I am sure that makes more sense then pointe. I am not sure how I got pointe in my head?? Lol. That ballet class will be 1 hour each week. :) My dd is taking an off ice conditioning class that is different from the ballet class and that is twice a week for an hour+ each session. They are going on a hike today in addition to other training.

Offline isakswings

« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2011, 11:54:32 AM »
Keep at the strength training, and the amount you are doing is just fine. Also, it's important that your daughter is working with a strength and conditioning coach and has had an individualized evaluation.  She will get much, much more out of it by working with someone qualified. Have her keep up with it regularly and you will definately see progress! :)

Thanks! She is doing well. She seems to like it too. It is hard work for her, but she comes away happy. :)