You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: isi open freestyle  (Read 1581 times)

Offline falen

• Pairs Partner
  • Total GOE: 8
isi open freestyle
« on: June 03, 2011, 10:35:38 AM »
We are looking at next fall.  The coaches plan is to have a usfs No Test program.  I asked if we can use the same program in ISI.  Coach looks at book and says there is the open silver.  But it includes jump to fs 4-5 which includes and axel.  DD is far from an axel.  Her best jumps are flip and lutz.  She's going to look into it.  What are all you all's experience with silver?  Is it like pre-pre where even though axel is not on the test you have to have it to be competative?

Offline PinkLaces

• Flooping To The Beat
  • Total GOE: 27
Re: isi open freestyle
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2011, 11:06:44 AM »
In the open silver, there is only 1 score for all the jumps and spins.  In a FS 4 program, there would be a score for each element: flip, loop, sit spin, etc.  So you don't need to do an axel, but could still place well with good jumps, spins, and choregraphy.

My DD has skated this category for 2 years - struggling with her inconsistent axel. The rest of her jumps and spins are solid and she has great choreography. The first year she skated it  no kids attempted axels.  This last year all the kids attempted axels.  My DD underrotated hers and still ended up consistently 2nd place. She placed above girls that landed axels, but had weak flips and lutzes. The girl that consistently came in first had a good axel and excellent choregraphy.

Offline hopskipjump

• BladeLock
  • Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 59
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2011, 11:52:28 AM »
Dd had her first Open Silver and in the grouping of 3?4? she was the only one without an Axel.  She tied for first. Her program wasn't "fancy", but she was able to do it well.  For a few weeks she practiced it with an Axel but wasn't able to land any so her coach changed it back to no Axel.  It was a good experience for dd to work out her program in front of an audience before doing it in a larger grouping for USFS. 

Offline falen

• Pairs Partner
  • Total GOE: 8
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2011, 02:59:19 PM »
It looks like she can use her no test in silver then.  I think coach will just add the dance step and another spin for the last 30 seconds.

Offline hopskipjump

• BladeLock
  • Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 59
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2011, 07:59:13 PM »
yes, dd is no test - remember there is no penalty for a shorter program - dd was shorter because she is also no test.