You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: I cannot believe she hurt herself AGAIN! m  (Read 4782 times)

Offline jumpingbeansmom

• Wearing Blade Guards on the Ice
  • Total GOE: 60
I cannot believe she hurt herself AGAIN! m
« on: May 30, 2011, 12:30:15 PM »
Suddenly, for no reason we can tell, her ankle is hurting her-- she didn't even hurt it skating (we think).   Yesterday, she was swimming and said her ankle was hurting-- it is on the outside above the ankle bone, and there is a teeny little 'knot' and it hurts to walk on it and of course she cannot skate.  What IS this?  There is no swelling at all.

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
Re: I cannot believe she hurt herself AGAIN! m
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2011, 01:18:46 PM »
I have no idea what it is, all I can say is that when I fell off-ice on my wrist, I was warned that occasionally X-rays won't pick up a small fracture in the joints and over time it will get bigger. Of course you're no doubt taking her to a doctor, so we'll be interested in hearing what she says.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline jumpingbeansmom

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2011, 01:20:37 PM »
I have no idea what it is, all I can say is that when I fell off-ice on my wrist, I was warned that occasionally X-rays won't pick up a small fracture in the joints and over time it will get bigger. Of course you're no doubt taking her to a doctor, so we'll be interested in hearing what she says.

This just happened.. she skated Saturday, did off ice class, no complaint AT ALL... then yesterday, at a picnic, she started complaining.   She didn't think it was too bad, so went to the rink this morning, and was in pain.   I will call her doctor tomorrow.  UGH

Offline skatingmum2

• Homologating Quadrubles
  • Total GOE: 3
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2011, 02:48:20 PM »
Hope she's better soon.

Think i've posted before that none of my daughters injuries have (yet) occurred on the ice apart from the odd bump to the head. She has about 3 friends who have previously broken an arm - none of them ice-skating.

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
  • Total GOE: 49
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2011, 02:59:55 PM »
How long until the family vacation? It might be worth having a break from skating now as it sounds like her body is wanting a rest (or at least cutting back for the time being).
Hope she recovers quickly.

Offline jumpingbeansmom

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2011, 03:43:42 PM »
How long until the family vacation? It might be worth having a break from skating now as it sounds like her body is wanting a rest (or at least cutting back for the time being).
Hope she recovers quickly.

Almost 3 weeks still!   She is having an MRI tonight-- they suspect the start of a stress fracture again (different place).   

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
  • Location: An arena, of course. More specifically, a Canadian arena.
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2011, 03:58:22 PM »
This would be her second stress fracture? That's really unfortunate.  Your daughter is quite young, IIRC.  If you don't mind my asking - where was the other one located?????

Offline jumpingbeansmom

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2011, 04:23:11 PM »
This would be her second stress fracture? That's really unfortunate.  Your daughter is quite young, IIRC.  If you don't mind my asking - where was the other one located?????

She didn't actually GET to stress fracture.... just the beginning of the bone bruising--  last time is was in the heel.   This time it is more in the ankle area (if THAT is the issue...we won't know for sure until tomorrow)

Offline jumpingbeansmom

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2011, 09:15:13 AM »
She had an MRI last night... the doctor should be calling shortly.   We are finding she has SUCH a high tolerance for pain and discomfort, she doesn't even realize there is an issue until it gets pretty far...sigh.....

Offline jumpingbeansmom

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2011, 04:58:51 PM »
GOOD NEWS!! No stress fracture or obvious serious damage-- so just a little rest until the ankle feels ok then all clear for her to skate.

Offline nicklaszlo

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 221
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2011, 11:55:41 PM »
Why did the doctor order an MRI for a potential stress fracture?  Did they x-ray first?  I thought usually x-rays were faster, cheaper, and higher resolution for bone.

Offline hopskipjump

• BladeLock
  • Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 59
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2011, 01:24:41 AM »
Hope she heals quickly!  It's hard being parents and pulling them screaming off the ice to get rest and to recuperate. :-\

Offline isakswings

• Carrying Baton for Yelling At Hockey Boys
  • Total GOE: 22
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2011, 01:51:49 AM »
GOOD NEWS!! No stress fracture or obvious serious damage-- so just a little rest until the ankle feels ok then all clear for her to skate.

YEAH!

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2011, 11:17:13 AM »
Why did the doctor order an MRI for a potential stress fracture?  Did they x-ray first?  I thought usually x-rays were faster, cheaper, and higher resolution for bone.

Count me as surprised too!  I can't get my insurance to pay for MRI's ever without having x-rays first, and even then it's tough to get them approved.  Drives me crazy because the things I need MRI's for (spinal cord) don't show up on x-rays, so it's just a waste of time and unnecessary exposure.  (I can kind of see why though when I get the bill- the last MRI was billed at $3,500! Thank god for insurance.)

To the OP- glad to hear nothing serious is wrong.  Hope the rest works...resting is tough!

Offline jumpingbeansmom

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2011, 11:23:44 AM »
Why did the doctor order an MRI for a potential stress fracture?  Did they x-ray first?  I thought usually x-rays were faster, cheaper, and higher resolution for bone.

They did the xray first, and there was some fuzziness around the Talus bone that was suspicious looking, so they wanted to be sure... many stress fractures especially early ones, won't show on an xray.

Offline jumpingbeansmom

« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2011, 11:30:13 AM »
Hope she heals quickly!  It's hard being parents and pulling them screaming off the ice to get rest and to recuperate. :-\

I know... after several injuries, she has learned that taking it easy for a few days is better than being in pain for weeks or months... and it better for her performance, she wasn't happy, but was pretty wise about it... I think she will go back tomorrow.

Offline techskater

• Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 64
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2011, 06:53:22 PM »

Stress fractures are best seen on an MRI, but sometimes neither.  My husband's toe stress fracture (from ultra running) was not seen via Xray or MRI but the doctor recognized the symptoms none-the-less

Offline jumpingbeansmom

« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2011, 06:56:16 PM »
Stress fractures are best seen on an MRI, but sometimes neither.  My husband's toe stress fracture (from ultra running) was not seen via Xray or MRI but the doctor recognized the symptoms none-the-less

The remedy would have been rest either way, but the doctor, knowing her history and high pain tolerance wanted to see if it was more than most kids would be currently tolerating, for future reference. 

Offline skatingmum2

• Homologating Quadrubles
  • Total GOE: 3
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2011, 01:48:19 AM »
I had a few stress fractures when young and these didn't particularly show up on X-ray. I had a bone scan (I was injected with something radioactive) and this showed the fracture.

I seem to remember growth spurt times a risk time for bone problems - apparantly skeletal strength at its lowest after rapid growth - has she grown recently?

Offline jumpingbeansmom

« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2011, 11:46:59 AM »
I had a few stress fractures when young and these didn't particularly show up on X-ray. I had a bone scan (I was injected with something radioactive) and this showed the fracture.

I seem to remember growth spurt times a risk time for bone problems - apparantly skeletal strength at its lowest after rapid growth - has she grown recently?

Yes, alot... 4 inches in the last 16 months... her coaches are so pleased at her perseverance and ability to keep going with her jumps and progressing with such rapid growth.   Also, the same reason we are treating all injuries with kid gloves and being careful.  The sports medicine doctor said the same thing about growth..  over the winter, she has twisted her foot in off ice and landed funny on it... and it was really sore--  he said at the time the area she hit was so near the growth plate that it was probably much more sore than a kid who wasn't in that fast growing period.