You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: We will be attending our first out of state competition in July(m)  (Read 1550 times)

Offline isakswings

• Carrying Baton for Yelling At Hockey Boys
  • Total GOE: 22
and dd is excited. There will be both compulsory and spin events. I looked at the required events, but what is the benefit of participating in these events? Both the complusory and the spin events are the same day as dd's freeskate would be. I guess their schedule is different this year due to the US collegiate Championships being that same weekend.  Anyway... any feedback?

Thanks

Offline jumpingbeansmom

• Wearing Blade Guards on the Ice
  • Total GOE: 60
Re: We will be attending our first out of state competition in July(m)
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2011, 12:56:35 PM »
and dd is excited. There will be both compulsory and spin events. I looked at the required events, but what is the benefit of participating in these events? Both the complusory and the spin events are the same day as dd's freeskate would be. I guess their schedule is different this year due to the US collegiate Championships being that same weekend.  Anyway... any feedback?

Thanks

My dd doesn't do these anymore, but when she first moved up and only had one program, we'd do these to build a little confidence and to get more out of our trip to a location.   Now she skates two programs already, so we don't do these anymore.

Offline isakswings

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2011, 01:04:20 PM »
My daughter will be skating 2 programs too... but I am trying to decide if it is worth it to do one of those events. Thanks!! I'm considering asking her coach if we can make her showcase an artistic(it can work both ways) instead of a showcase. Then we will only need to be there for 2 nights instead of four. If she does her program as a showcase, she will skate on day 1 and then on day 4. Oy. :)

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2011, 01:20:20 PM »
Lots of kids participate in those events because it's another chance at a medal, and if they are nervous program skaters it might give them a chance to shine at elements they actually are good at, but freak out with when the music turns on.

For 30-45 seconds of skating, I think these are money maker events, as compared to programs, but they are fun to just have another chance to do your best.  When I've done them in the past, we didn't really practice for them, except one day practice right before the competition to determine the order of the elements, so they don't take much lesson time to prepare for.

Offline isakswings

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2011, 05:14:08 PM »
Thanks. I asked her coach what she thinks about it. I think we will probably just stick to her 2 events. I just need to see if her coach thinks we can make her showcase an artistic so we don't have to stay at the comp for 4 days LOL!