You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Some motivation for ya - Why I Skate  (Read 3850 times)

Offline lindafmb

• Pinwheel Pro
  • Total GOE: 8
    • Fit Mind-Body Conditioning YouTube Channel
Some motivation for ya - Why I Skate
« on: May 18, 2011, 08:35:00 PM »
I wanted to share the following excerpt with you, to thank all of you who've responded publically and PM'd me regarding my recent testing fail. It really means a lot to me to have such an outpouring of support.  :D

A friend of mine recently published a book on training adult figure skaters. She asked me to write a section for it, a sort of "In Their Own Words." Here's an inside peak at what I wrote, and what I need to remind myself of every time that "fire in my belly" starts to give me heartburn. The book comes out in the fall.

------

I am what you call a “true” adult skater. I am adult who learned how to skate, rather than a skater who became an adult. I began learning how to figure skate about five years ago, after having worked as an off-ice conditioning coach for competitive figure skaters. Although I first started to gain an inside look at my athletes’ sport, I soon grew to love it. Everything about figure skating was right up my alley—because it’s HARD! In addition to becoming more relatable with my clients, figure skating has given me a perfect athletic outlet for my intense brain/body drive, that thing that I have that pushes me to keep learning new things that challenge both my body and my mind, things that seem out of reach and almost unattainable. Those are the things I live for!

In the past five years, I have passed the first five USFS tests in Figures, Moves in the Field, and Free Skate in the adult track, and my preliminary solo dances following the standard track. My primary coach, Danette Green, pushes me and essentially “trains me like a kid,” without imposing limits because I’m adult. I’ve already told her I will buy her a car when I pass my USFS Senior Free Skate test—standard track! Glenn Patterson is my ice dance coach, and has been a tremendous influence in helping me control my feet and understand how to use my blades with precision. I am grateful for the good fortune that it is to train with them.

When I’m practicing on public sessions, people often ask me if I compete, or if I’m a professional, which of course makes me giggle, since only a few short years ago, I couldn’t even make it around a hockey circle without clutching Danette’s arm. For now, I am simply enjoying the journey of learning HOW to skate, and for me, that’s my gold medal and what brings me to the rink almost every day for the past five years.

Offline Harleyboy

• Homologating Quadrubles
  • Total GOE: 57
Re: Some motivation for ya - Why I Skate
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2011, 09:15:13 PM »
Excellent...Makes me feel like I'm not chasing an impossible dream. Some people have a hard time understanding why I started skating at my age. I think you would understand.. Thanks

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2011, 09:17:20 PM »
Wow that's powerful. Thank you for sharing Linda.

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
  • Total GOE: 49
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2011, 03:21:56 AM »
Buying coaches a new car when you finish the tests. My God you're setting the standards high. I hope all the other coaches don't read this, or they'll all be expecting one!
But thank you for sharing. It sums up a lot of the motivations we all probably have for skating.

Offline Nate

• BladeLock
  • Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 22
  • #AdultSkate
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2011, 04:06:56 AM »
Hrm...  I'll get mine a bicycle.

A car?  Not so much...

The post was a good read, though.  Thanks for that...

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 141
    • Ten Years of Figure Skating Discussions!
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2011, 07:58:26 AM »
Topic moved to "On the Boards"
-- Isk8NYC --
"I like to skate on the other side of the ice." - Comedian Steven Wright

Offline lindafmb

• Pinwheel Pro
  • Total GOE: 8
    • Fit Mind-Body Conditioning YouTube Channel
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2011, 07:00:37 PM »
Buying coaches a new car when you finish the tests. My God you're setting the standards high. I hope all the other coaches don't read this, or they'll all be expecting one!

Hahaha, I say it kind of tongue-in-cheek, because (1) my coach REALLY needs a new car, and (2) in all honesty, has that EVER happened? Has any coach ever taken a 38-year-old adult who didn't know how to skate all the way through passing Senior FS standard track? Ever?

It sounds like a goal I might be crazy enough to chase, though  ;)

Offline icedancer

• Custom Skates
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2011, 09:08:40 PM »
Hahaha, I say it kind of tongue-in-cheek, because (1) my coach REALLY needs a new car, and (2) in all honesty, has that EVER happened? Has any coach ever taken a 38-year-old adult who didn't know how to skate all the way through passing Senior FS standard track? Ever?

No but I have seen a 28-year old just learned to skate skater pass several Gold and International Dances - Standard track.  It took about 10 years... ::>)

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2011, 11:25:22 PM »
I brought the question up on Xanboni once about adult onset skaters passing senior free test, and the replies seem to indicate the required stamina is more grueling than achieving the jump contents. But... GO LINDA!

Offline Teresa

• Designated Spinner
  • Total GOE: 5
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2011, 11:44:27 PM »
I'm a "true" adult skater too. :D I love the way you explained "who" we are, perfect description.

I also giggle when a skating mom or "watcher" think I skated as a child. It's a nice giggle! I'm sure my coach would have a good laugh. I'm positive I'm her dinner time humor some days. ;)

Thank you for sharing.

Teresa

Offline Purple Sparkly

• CER-A
  • Compulsory Figures
  • Total GOE: 65
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2011, 11:00:35 PM »
By the time I get to Senior Freeskate, I am sure I would have paid my coach enough money for her to buy a car.

Offline TheAquarian

• Homologating Quadrubles
  • Total GOE: 29
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2011, 05:16:36 PM »
I can relate to that,  I haven't been skating anywhere near as long as  he has,  nor have I accomplished even close to what you have.  That said, talking to new people at the rink,  I find that people are usually surprised when I tell them that the first time I set on the ice was in October.  I suspect that I will be in a similar situation in 4.5 years provided I find a good coach when I move overseas.
Pawn takes queen; reality check mate.