You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: ISI freestyle 4 test question  (Read 3815 times)

Offline loyal2uil

• Rink Rat
  • Total GOE: 0
ISI freestyle 4 test question
« on: May 15, 2011, 11:19:49 AM »
Could someone look at DD test video and give me some detail about what is wrong with her dance step?  All we were told is that it was rushed and she was given no clue what to do better next time in order to pass the test.  Thanks for looking.

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/aPAO0nP3dzw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
Re: ISI freestyle 4 test question
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2011, 01:09:06 PM »
She is really rushing the turns.. not holding the entrance edges long enough and holding the exit edge too long... which means those turns are not "controlled" at all (or at least don't appear to be), she's just whipping through them, and then holding the edge until the next move, which she again rushes through.   It is less obvious on the forward 3's, but very obvious on the back 3's - she's turning almost immediately after the step.

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 188
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2011, 02:44:51 PM »
ITA - the BO3's are really not controlled.  The free leg should check strongly to the front and stay there through the turn, instead of "coming undone" and swinging.  It would help if she checked the shoulders over the curve more - she's a little too square (shoulders over hips.)  That might be why she's rushing: she's not comfortable leaning into the curve/turn.

On at least one of the BI3's, she touched down with her free foot because the hip dropped.  If she keeps her hips closed and the free leg stabilized, she'd have less trouble.  (Same thing: check the shoulders before the turn.)

Her sit spin is good, but it's just at passing standard because her free hip is at skating knee height.  If she would go into it on a deeper bent knee and stay down, she'd have more speed in the spin.  That would allow her to bend more and get the free hip below the skating knee.

I'd also have her work on the Loop and Half Loop takeoffs to get more height before she turns.  If she holds that position in the air a few seconds longer on the Loop, she'll land it with the free leg in front, which will make it more secure.  (She's opening up a little too early.)

All in all, it was a good attempt.  I'm sure she'll pass the next time.  How did she do on the Program portion of the test?
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline loyal2uil

• Rink Rat
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2011, 03:09:41 PM »
Thank you both for the information.  She is currently working without a coach and this was not something that I had any clue how to help her with.  Sadly she did not get a chance to skate the program portion of the test because of her dance step.

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2011, 03:22:04 PM »
Oh, I'm so sorry.  I didn't realize they would stop the test after the elements portion.  (((hugs)))
She must be so sad and disappointed.  She's really close to passing, so tell her to hang in there and keep working.

ISIAsia.com has excellent videos of the Freestyle Dance Step Sequences. 
It might help your daughter to SEE what it's supposed to look like and how to hold the free leg, check, etc.

http://www.isiasia.org/isiasia/video/freestyle_tests_standards.php

Offline loyal2uil

• Rink Rat
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2011, 09:36:50 PM »
Thanks again.  That link is great.  I had looked for videos on the regular ISI site and couldn't find any.  I will be bookmarking that for future reference.

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2011, 11:36:06 AM »
The videos were created by ISIAsia at a rink in China or Singapore.  Brilliant idea, imo.  I wish the ISI would put the videos, or at least a link to them, on their website, along with the patterns. 

The upper-level (FS7+) sequences may not be correct.  The ISI moved some dance step sequences to different levels a few years ago.  The sequence remained the same but changed FS levels.  The ISIAsia labels may not match the current ISI rulebook.